“If you purchase a package deal, make sure they supply what you paid for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Camino Real El Paso

Save Saved
You added Camino Real El Paso to your Saves list
Camino Real El Paso
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South El Paso Street, El Paso, TX 79901   |
Ranked #52 of 78 hotels in El Paso
“If you purchase a package deal, make sure they supply what you paid for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The room was nice, quiet & clean. Unfortunately, the hotel seemed understaffed & people at the front desk didn't seem to communicate with each other.
I had certain incentives included in my rate & the hotel service was ignorant when I put in my request for the drinks & food. I called the front desk the 2nd night, made the request again, was told it would be right up and waited. They never called or even came up to my floor.
I spoke with other guests who said they had a similar issue. They had ordered room service, waited two hours, were then contacted by phone and asked if they still wanted their order. They said no.
When I checked out, I informed the front desk & all they said was, I appologize. These people need to go to professional hoteliers and learn the basics.
I'll make sure never to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
CaminoRELP, General Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Hungrytraveler21,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory.

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

When I found out there was a historic hotel in El Paso I was excited because there's nothing more pointless feeling than paying $100+ a night for a basic, chain airport hotel with no style. I've stayed at the Camino Real twice and I'd say that if you're willing to put up with its age and associated challenges, it is a cool place to stay. On my first stay I reserved an executive level room and was quite charmed by the old-fashioned-ness of it. The room was clean (not spotless but clean enough) and had an old-fashioned-style 1940s-esque bathroom that was quite charming, kind of bit like a noir Hollywood movie. My only complaint was that when I left a $300 pair of jeans in the bedding, they definitely were not saved for me (I called back and got the runaround until I gave up. Mea culpa; I shouldn't have left the jeans there). On my second stay I reserved the executive level room with the Amex special, which meant I was supposed to be upgraded to a suite. The clerk at the desk didn't really understand the special and so I had to tell him to upgrade me, and the first room he gave me was kind of terrible: scratched walls, very old 80s bathroom with peeling wallpaper and bad lighting, and the room was really dark. I didn't feel comfortable there. So I asked for a different room and got a room four floors up that was much more comfortable, smelled good, no marks on the walls and with decent lighting. As a bonus, the bathroom had recently been upgraded with a nice tiled shower and rain showerhead. So I guess the lesson I learned from this is that if you are going to stay here you need to be really on top of things and basically insist that the clerk give you a high-floor room that has been updated. Otherwise you might find yourself in a sketchy room. But the style of the bar and the old-time furniture can make doing the work at the check-in desk worth it.

I agree with a lot of reviewers that if the Camino Real did some across-the-board updates (like refreshing the carpet and TVs and upgrading the lighting in the rooms) this could be a fantastic historic hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Veronica S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your second visit to Camino Real Hotel. We appreciate your honesty and sincere comments. We are glad that you enjoy the history that is within our Hotel and hope to see you back soon.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Cool historic hotel in neat location with stuff within walking distance. It's dated though. Expect funny smells like an old hotel would have. No Concierge, no pool, no spa.

Our room wasn't quite ready at check-in time.

Overall, love it for the history. But leave it for the lack of luxury.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate your honesty and apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory; on the subjects you mentioned we do have an outdoor pool on the 10th floor. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Huntsville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

So just as every other review is stating- this place is old. I'm not talking like 20 years "old", I'm talking was built in 1912 old.

I stated that I didn't "hate" it because the place as a whole is so beautiful. The Tiffany globe ceiling in the bar area is obviously the main highlight of the hotel. The staff was very nice. My room was always cleaned well and I loved the fact they had Bath & Body Works soap/lotion/shampoo & conditioner.

But as everyone was stating, the rooms were small and dark. The toilet area in the bathrooms have 0 lighting above them so you're literally in the dark when going to the restroom. The showers are old, but the water is SUPER hot, so I enjoyed that fact because I have thick hair and there is nothing more annoying than running out of hot water. So I enjoyed that. The TV is literally a 40 lb TUBE television with limited channels. I had 2 co-workers staying there in different rooms, and all 3 of us had different channels available- so that's kinda a random fact.

The underground parking garage was pretty scary. Not well lit at all. They have a few random orange lights that make it visible, but I didn't feel very safe there.

The beds are SUPPPPEEEEERRRRR small. They say "queen", but I'm almost 100% they are a double or full? I can't say for fact because I haven't slept on either of those sizes since I was 10, but I know 2 people would have a hard time on the beds.

Also, and this may be an El Paso thing, but I had never been there before; but the last 2 days I was there all the water turned orange/brown. It was super gross and I didn't feel safe washing in it. This may happen just because of the location, but I don't know?

I also am pretty sure the place is haunted. It even said so in a pamplet lying around in the room. I only stayed for a week, but if you just want to try someplace different. I think this is a nice place for that. However, I wouldn't stay there again because I need nicer amenities, but I didn't mind my stay there.

Room Tip: I met a man in the bar and his room has 2 flat panel tvs and a HUGE bed. He said he had been to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I am not one to usually write these reviews, but I would really want to dissuade anyone from staying at the Camino Real Hotel. The hotel is old...not a big deal, if it is rehabbed. It is supposedly refurbished....in my experience, a definite no. Or alternatively, the rehab was done so long ago it needs to be completely redone...like painting a room when you need really start anew and remodel.

My room had two beds generously called queen sized which were by all assessments, full sized. Springs were present. lighting in room was poor- felt like a cave. Bathroom was gross, with the rehab having been painting bathtub tile, which had peeled in multiple places. And of course, the prior user's hair stuck to that tile showed just where the cleaning crew stopped their cleaning of the shower.

Walls seemed really thin, listening to plumbing activities of other rooms...tv was an actual tube TV...not what you expect in a supposedly redone hotel.

Certainly, El Paso's downtown is in a state of blight with attempts to bring it back and that doesn't help, but don't pitch it as a historic diamond in the rough when camino real is just rough.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I got there by mistake looking for a hotel, their information states historic not prehistoric, rooms are outdated, WOW tvs are the oldest they almost have bulb tvs, bathrooms with leaks and really bad stains, and the worst of it is that the water comes out brown, they say it is from the city I don't believe so, hotels now days have water filters, my guess is that they haven't changed the plumbing sonde the hotel opened (1912) it was a dreadful experience, I will never go back!

Stayed November 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The room was absolutely lovely (ask for a corner room and then you get two sets of windows and even more view. There was a probelm with the TV in our room, so we were immediately offered a new room and asked to check that we were happy with it first. As the rooms did not have a fridge one was immediately added. The customer service could not have been better and the staff were so friendly. As it is a historic hotel the bar and lobby area is absolutely beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room on the 8th or 9th floor for views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Camino Real El Paso? Share your experiences!