“Didn't hate it, but won't be back...” 2 of 5 stars

Camino Real El Paso
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South El Paso Street, El Paso, TX 79912   |
Ranked #60 of 81 Hotels in El Paso
Huntsville
“Didn't hate it, but won't be back...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

So just as every other review is stating- this place is old. I'm not talking like 20 years "old", I'm talking was built in 1912 old.

I stated that I didn't "hate" it because the place as a whole is so beautiful. The Tiffany globe ceiling in the bar area is obviously the main highlight of the hotel. The staff was very nice. My room was always cleaned well and I loved the fact they had Bath & Body Works soap/lotion/shampoo & conditioner.

But as everyone was stating, the rooms were small and dark. The toilet area in the bathrooms have 0 lighting above them so you're literally in the dark when going to the restroom. The showers are old, but the water is SUPER hot, so I enjoyed that fact because I have thick hair and there is nothing more annoying than running out of hot water. So I enjoyed that. The TV is literally a 40 lb TUBE television with limited channels. I had 2 co-workers staying there in different rooms, and all 3 of us had different channels available- so that's kinda a random fact.

The underground parking garage was pretty scary. Not well lit at all. They have a few random orange lights that make it visible, but I didn't feel very safe there.

The beds are SUPPPPEEEEERRRRR small. They say "queen", but I'm almost 100% they are a double or full? I can't say for fact because I haven't slept on either of those sizes since I was 10, but I know 2 people would have a hard time on the beds.

Also, and this may be an El Paso thing, but I had never been there before; but the last 2 days I was there all the water turned orange/brown. It was super gross and I didn't feel safe washing in it. This may happen just because of the location, but I don't know?

I also am pretty sure the place is haunted. It even said so in a pamplet lying around in the room. I only stayed for a week, but if you just want to try someplace different. I think this is a nice place for that. However, I wouldn't stay there again because I need nicer amenities, but I didn't mind my stay there.

Room Tip: I met a man in the bar and his room has 2 flat panel tvs and a HUGE bed. He said he had been to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I am not one to usually write these reviews, but I would really want to dissuade anyone from staying at the Camino Real Hotel. The hotel is old...not a big deal, if it is rehabbed. It is supposedly refurbished....in my experience, a definite no. Or alternatively, the rehab was done so long ago it needs to be completely redone...like painting a room when you need really start anew and remodel.

My room had two beds generously called queen sized which were by all assessments, full sized. Springs were present. lighting in room was poor- felt like a cave. Bathroom was gross, with the rehab having been painting bathtub tile, which had peeled in multiple places. And of course, the prior user's hair stuck to that tile showed just where the cleaning crew stopped their cleaning of the shower.

Walls seemed really thin, listening to plumbing activities of other rooms...tv was an actual tube TV...not what you expect in a supposedly redone hotel.

Certainly, El Paso's downtown is in a state of blight with attempts to bring it back and that doesn't help, but don't pitch it as a historic diamond in the rough when camino real is just rough.

• Stayed December 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I got there by mistake looking for a hotel, their information states historic not prehistoric, rooms are outdated, WOW tvs are the oldest they almost have bulb tvs, bathrooms with leaks and really bad stains, and the worst of it is that the water comes out brown, they say it is from the city I don't believe so, hotels now days have water filters, my guess is that they haven't changed the plumbing sonde the hotel opened (1912) it was a dreadful experience, I will never go back!

Stayed November 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The room was absolutely lovely (ask for a corner room and then you get two sets of windows and even more view. There was a probelm with the TV in our room, so we were immediately offered a new room and asked to check that we were happy with it first. As the rooms did not have a fridge one was immediately added. The customer service could not have been better and the staff were so friendly. As it is a historic hotel the bar and lobby area is absolutely beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room on the 8th or 9th floor for views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I got the chance to stay at the Camino Real in late September of this year.
When I first came across the hotel while searching for a place to stay, I was a bit hesitant about it, since I've never heard of it. I did a quick search of reviews on good old TripAdvisor and decided to give it a shot. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was quite impressed with the decor of the lobby and architecture. When I checked in, I had to advise the front desk agent that per the rate I booked (American Express rate) was to include a breakfast. She advised that it was not mentioned in the reservation, so I had to show her via the iPad at the desk for customer surveys. I was told to speak to the clerk at the desk in the morning.
Got to the room and was still impressed with the decor/architecture. Once I entered my assigned room, I did a quick inspection and was impressed with the room size. The bathroom itself, was twice the size of your average hotel bathroom - though it could use better lighting. Light was available over the vanity, but not near the toilet or shower off to the side.
The was the traditional armoire equipped with an older television. I don't know if they plan to update them to newer plasma/LCDs sometime in the future.
The only complaints I had with the room were with the bed (worn mattress and bedding) and carpet (worn and could use a nice steam).
The restaurant was predominately clean and had a good selection for the breakfast buffet. I would have liked to have seen better housekeeping with the serving utensils.
I would like to say, overall, the staff was very welcoming and attentive. And I truly loved the architecture of the building. If they would update the rooms, they would have a beautiful hotel - one which I would love to stay in again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The wine list is gone, the rooms are antiquated, poor television reception, slow wait staff, sit at the bar and wait for a drink. Rusty, smelly water from the tap, loud obnoxious a/c-heater units. General Manager did not respond to my formal complaint.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here, the Doubletree is just up the street, costs the same amount of money, is u...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This property is in a rebuilding area of downtown El Paso and really has a great deal of potential. It is in the National Registry of Historic Places and does have a certain ambience to it. The employees are first class and everything they do is for the comfort and benefit of their guests. However, the rooms need to be upgraded. There are nowhere near enough electric plugs and the lamps are just not bright enough. The rooms are generous in size, but three 60-watt bulbs are not enough to use the computer or read by for a senior adult. I really liked the stay, but just a little updating could really help the Camino Real at El Paso out a great deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business