“Charming hotel with a lot to offer” 5 of 5 stars

Camino Real El Paso
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 South El Paso Street, El Paso, TX 79901   |
Ranked #55 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Atlanta, GA
“Charming hotel with a lot to offer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

The Camino Real is a very charming hotel. The rooms are big with great views of downtown El Paso and Juarez. Even if you aren't staying at the hotel, you should have a drink in the dome bar. It has wonderful stained glass windows and a gorgeous Tiffany (or perhaps Tiffany-style) stained glass dome. The hotel staff is friendly and the location is great; you are right next to the Museum of Art and The Plaza, both worth a visit. Admittedly downtown El Paso has seen better days, but this hotel is a real charmer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed at the hotel in October 2011 and had the most enjoyable stay.
The hotel is enriched with old world charm yet, still extremely comfortable.
The hotel lobby and bar with the Tiffany dome are beautiful - retaining the style of the 99 year hotel. My room and bathroom were very large and housekeeping standards high.
The staff are exceptional. From the moment the hotel courtesy bus arrived to collect me at the airport,until I was dropped back at the airport I was welcomed warmly by every staff member and each individual went out of their way to meet all of my requests and needs.
Superb Sunday brunch in the colorful restaurant with lively authentic music. The hotel staff made a lasting impression. I would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Grass Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have stayed here many times. Check-in has always been a hassle, as my reservation is either lost, or there is an issue with the payment method (I am usually the guest of major company that does a lot of business with this hotel.)

The rooms are comfortable, but some of my co-workers have had issues with AC not working and plumbing issues.

This is a hotel that could be very nice if management were a bit more caring and perhaps more of the profits went back into updating the hotel. The lobby is gorgeous and the lounge has a historic Tiffany glass domed ceiling -- so all the pieces are there for a magnificent property.

Yet, as they say -- the devil's in the details. In the last few years that I've been staying here, my bathroom light fixture has had a mix of different light bulbs (side by side) in it. They are all compact florescent and of different colors and sizes. I've attached a photo. In past visits, I'd noticed daylight, warm white, and cold white bulbs all mixed in the hallways -- something that the astute eye of management should never have allowed. It makes the hotel look sort of "third world" when bulbs of different types and sizes are mixed without regard to how they look.

My shower had repairs where the grout didn't match the original in any way. This is stuff that one could expect in an inexpensive roadside motel, but not in a hotel that purports to be the premium hotel in a downtown area.

I will probably stay here again, but hope that the ownership of this place will wake up soon, and realize what they have -- and start taking this place seriously.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Ismael R, Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
We thank you for your comments. We are working on the check in process to make it more efficient as we are aware of the problem. We will also look into the light bulbs in the hotel and get those switched out soon. We are glad you chose and will continue to use our hotel for your travel needs. Please contact me the next time you are in house at jrrodriguez@crelpaso.com
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011 via mobile

First time in El Paso this place needs an upgrade/ remodel soon!! Squeaky old elevators scary!!

• Stayed October 2011
Ismael R, Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We would appreciate another chance to give exceptional service and a better outcome on your stay. I sent you a message please let me know if we can help in any way.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

when you walk into this hotel it appears lovely with a beautiful lobby but....when I went to my room I found there were others already booked into - quite an embarrassing moment and when I went back to the lobby the front desk didn't think that was inconvenient and didn't apologize. Now in my 2nd room the TV didn't work, the clock didn't work and the shower didn't drain properly. When I went to check out the following morning (took 20 minutes) they had know idea what room I was in. Overall a very bad situation and I wouldn't stay there again or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Ismael R, Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
I'm sorry your stay was not what you expected. We strive to provide the best experience to each and every one of our guests. We are working on our plumbing and the TV's. I would like you to give us another opportunity to make it right. Please contact me the next time you are in town at jrrodriguez@crelpaso.com thank you
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

Thouroughly enjoyed my stay. Restaurants were excellent and the overall service was great. Will definitely stay there again

• Stayed September 2011
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

For my first time staying here i was very pleased.Overall I would absolutely recommend this hotel.Upon arrival, we were greeted with smiles and friendly manner from every employee even at the late hour of 11:30 pm. The service was entirely superb! And the view from our room was gorgeous.

Room Tip: High floor