“Excellent except for bar” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #5 of 79 hotels in El Paso
All across the USA
“Excellent except for bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have traveled for work 50 weeks a year for more than 15 years, and I have been staying at this property 4 nights a week since just before Christmas. This is one of the better ones.

The front end staff -- front desk, bell staff and van drivers -- is excellent, always friendly and quite helpful.

The rooms have always been clean, and any maintenance problems, which have been rare, are promptly addressed.

And the food is definitely above the norm for mid-range hotel restaurants.The cream of green chili soup and the house-made steak sauce are excellent.

But you might want to give the bar a pass, unless you are the sort who is satisfied with a selection of a few beer brands and the occasional simple gin and tonic or rum and coke. I asked for a cocktail that is on every "Drinks All Bartenders Should Know" list on the internet and got a blank look. And even after I explained what it was, they could not make it because they didn't have the ingredients.

They lost out on a fifty-dollar food and beverage tab because the bar could not make a negroni.

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Great hotel, clean, nice pool. But Guillermo, the Front Desk attendant makes your stay so pleasant.
Excellent location for walking to UTEP and a short drive to all the shopping and dining on Mesa.
Give this young man a raise!

Windom, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I'm very disappointed with the Hilton Garden Inn because they didn't honor my late check-in. After our wedding, my new husband and I arrived to check in around 2:00 a.m., but we were told we couldn't check-in because it was technically the next day (our reservation was for Saturday and we arrived on Sunday). When I asked if there were rooms available the clerk confirmed there were rooms, but we couldn't check in until 3:00 p.m. because it was the next day. The night clerk was no help, so my new husband and I (still in my wedding dress, mind you) left to find another place to stay for the night. It was awful! I wish they would have told me they only honor reservations until 1:00 a.m. even if you request a late check-in. It would have saved me a lot of tears after what is supposed to be one of the best days of your life...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Lesley - Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We truly value your feedback.
We pride ourselves in providing each and every guest with a high quality experience and it seems we have fallen short during your recent visit. I will follow up with my team immediately to ensure we take all necessary steps to make sure this does not happen in the future.
Thank you again for sharing.
Best Regards
Michelle Kaip
Chicago. Ilinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have had great experience staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in El-Paso Texas and St. Louis, Missouri. The staff are courteous, helpful and hardworking. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and clean. Their meals are also great and I will always highly recommend the brand to friends and associates.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is located near to La Mesa St., one of the largest streets in El Paso, that's why it can take you from downtown to the Outlets outside the city.

The hotel is very pretty, with a very beautiful lobby. The rooms are also very nice, it's not very big but it has comfortable beds and a very nice shower and super clean!

The breakfast isn't included so you have to pay for it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So I've been staying in El Paso while traveling for a couple years and I didn't know about this hotel, so I usually stayed at the Doubletree. The Doubletree has been showing some wear lately, so I decided to try the Hilton Garden Inn. I was impressed with the HGI's newness (especially the lobby areas-- rooms are okay but seem slightly less fresh), the large lobby space, and especially the outdoor patio where you can bring your drink and a laptop and enjoy the night air. Downsides are that the bar is pretty basic (not very sophisticated wine or drinks, though I wouldn't expect much at a Hilton Garden Inn), and the food is not awful but was so-so in my experience. The best thing about the hotel is the walking distance to Tom's Folk Cafe which has AMAZING food. I also liked the hotel's elevation-- air is clean with nice views.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here for two nights on our way out of El Paso. We live here and relocating to another state. The location is awesome right in the heart of Kern Place. It is walking distance to great dining and great watering holes!! Great customer service especially from Carlos, it was late and our daughter wanted cereal so he went and retrieved cereal and milk from the hotel pantry. The hotel is clean and the restaurant is good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University? Share your experiences!