“A great short stay at a wonderful property” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Fall Savings
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“A great short stay at a wonderful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay, even though it was short. The room was quiet, comfortable and spacious; the bed was awesome and I actually had two excellent nights' sleep: a rarity on a short trip. The hotel's dining areas were open and inviting, with fireplaces and warm initimate areas in the hotel. Its location is ideal to the meetings I attended. The the entire staff was friendly and welcoming; and I am looking forward to a return stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We are fans of Hilton Garden Inns and this location was no exception. The hotel lobby is actually larger than many in the chain and warmly decorated. Staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are standard. I did read one review that commented on lumpy pillows. I admit, one was lumpy, one wasn't so I simply tossed the lumpy one aside and utilized the comfy option.

Breakfast was excellent, the sausage much nicer quality than that I have found in many Garden Inns.

The reasons we picked this hotel were twofold: price and location. The price was excellent for this time of year and won, hands down, over other options we explored. However, location was the deal breaker. Located adjacent to the University of Texas at El Paso, this is the perfect hotel for students and parents coming to town to check out the university. Also a great place to stay for those coming in for the Sun Bowl or any other UTEP based OR downtown activity. Excellent restaurants such as Crave or the Mesa Street Grill are within walking distance are other options such as sushi and thai. Tabla is minutes away by car.

Whenever we come back to El Paso, we'll be staying right here at the University Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a nice stay over all and will def. be returning to hotel. Front desk staff was nice and she was really helpful as to what restaurants to eat at and told us where the location of our room was and went over the lay out of the hotel. Our room was nice and we had a great stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Torrance, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here 1 night for business. Room was clean, but I hate those square pillows. Who uses square pillows? Fitness room was ok for a small hotel. Weights, a couple of treadmills and other cardio machines. Within walking distance of UTEP and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I'm Hilton Diamond, so I stay at a lot of HGI's. One of the main reasons HGI's beat Marriott Courtyards is on the bed: the pillows and the comforter. Pillows & comforter at HGI--nice, fluffy (usually). At Courtyards: very thin blanket/comforter thingy will leave you freezing, and the smelly, square 'pillows' packed with foam lumps won't do much for your sleep quality.

This is your typical HGI, nothing too special. Clean enough, everything works, bathroom well-lit. You won't recognize any of the restaurants nearby unless you are a local, or unless they're fast-food (unfortunately).

This is where I usually stay in El Paso because I have business at the hospital.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Guest - Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your business. I hope in the future, we can go from good to great. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to assist you.
Best Regards
Las Cruces, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Immediately greeted by a front desk lady that was less than bored of me during our 5 second conversation. A conversation that consisted of: "name? here you go" then i was handed 2 keys. I was clueless as to which entrance was quickest to my room, parking, the location of my room, breakfast or anything. The bar takes up the majority of the lobby area, great for my kids to be exposed to drunk people watching football. Room was what I expected, nothing above and beyond, just plain. Breakfast was NOT included, I learned this as I had woken my family up and took my kids downstairs...$13 for breakfast...no thanks, I'd have been less mad if the front desk woman had told me the night before. Awful stay, poor nights sleep, not recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MichelleKaip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest - I am sorry about your experience at the front desk. I can assure you that it is not standard to find someone at our hotel who isn’t helpful. We strive to ensure our front desk agents and other team members know how much we value your business. I apologize for the issues you experienced.
Sincerely
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This wonderful hotel has been the site for the Youth Leadership Forum (organized by Rick, Josue & volunteers), held every fall, usually late October/Early November, this time 02-04NOV2012. I have never seen this hotel when it wasn't super clean, sanitary, friendly, and ready for guests. Sometimes I have motored here, but on other occasions, my Doublevision has been my mode of transport, pedaling early on the morning of Saturday, 03NOV2012. My specific task was bringing 'the rope', a 50-foot long, inch-diameter hawser, loaned by Coach Sales, Desert Aire Elementary School. It is a critical part of a team building exercise: after being tied to the bumper of State Representative Joe Pickett's firetruck in the lower parking lot, a few individuals are challenged to grasp the rope and pull. Of course, those few are unable to do so. But when all of the young women & men (60) join in, their effort pays off when the firetruck easily moves forward. That tremendous success is followed with a photo op of broadly smiling individuals who have learned the value of teamwork, all crowding around the huge machine. Numerous other activities are conducted inside the hotel ballroom, a large space made possible when several of the meeting rooms are connected by sliding partitions to the side. Above the main floor are the guest rooms, each meeting the requisite needs for two individuals: beds, HDTV, drawers, desk, easy chairs, complete bathrooms, and, certainly, secure access with cardkeys. The two elevators are maintained in superb condition, are fast and reliable. On each floor, ice machines are close by, also reliably churning out great quantities of high-quality ice cubes. If there are numerous people descending & ascending, it is sometimes easier & faster to use the stairwells at either end of the hallways. The exercise room is as expected, and the outdoor pool/spa is a pleasure, especially on a hot day/night! This fine hotel has a prime location: on the NW corner of Oregon & University Avenue-the main Eastern entrance to the University of Texas-El Paso campus; a block North of several hospitals/clinics; a block West of Mesa Street/TX20 (main connector for the Westside of El Paso); several blocks South of the Cincinnati entertainment district/Don Haskins Center (basketball)/Sun Bowl Stadium; several blocks West of Scenic Drive/overlook; several blocks North of downtown/main library/art, history, transportation & tolerance museums, convention center, Union Station Historic District/Sunset Heights Historic District, Chihuahita, and the great country of Mexico (crossover into Ciudad Juarez for true internationalism!); several blocks SE of historic Boundary Marker #1/Parque Madero/RIo Grande-Rio Bravo American Dam/the World famous ASARCO tower. With all of the attractions so close (the day-trip attractions are too numerous to mention!), you'll be glad to have the warmth & comfort of the Hilton Garden Inn for a place to rest and recuperate! I highly recommend it to all travellers who want above-average overnights that would cost much more anywhere else!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
What more can I say, but thank you for sharing you wonderful comments.
Sincerely
Michelle Kaip

Been to Hilton Garden Inn El Paso/University? Share your experiences!