“Avoid this restaurant, very poorly managed, disappointing experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Central Cafe

Central Cafe
One Texas Court, El Paso, TX 79901
325.545.2233
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #182 of 1,248 Restaurants in El Paso
Southlake, Texas
“Avoid this restaurant, very poorly managed, disappointing experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

While on vacation, my husband and I dined at Cafe Central on a December Tuesday evening. While we were seated as soon as we arrived, we waited at least 15 minutes for the waiter to take our order. Since there were quite a few empyt tables, we did not understand why there was such a long delay. Throughout the long evening, we observed the waiters either walking aimlessly around the dining room or standing in the back area watching a computer screen, I assume, to get word from the chef that an entree is ready. The waiter serving bread came over once with one slice of bread and did not offer bread again until I caught his attention and requested some.

When my entree, Chilean sea bass, arrived, the fish was obviously overdone. The top was burnt black and I told the waiter that the fish looked overcooked. He said that the black part was due to the miso marinade and that the fish was prepared " perfectly".
For a $36.00 a la carte entree, I expected the fish to be cooked properly. After tasting the lukewarm dry fish, I tried to locate my waiter, but he had disappeared. For 5 minutes I could not get the attention of any of the waiters. Finally, the man filling water glasses walked by and I asked him to find my waiter. When the waiter finally came over, he took the dish away, and said that the chef would prepare another piece of fish. Twenty minutes later, when my entree arrived, properly cooked, my husband had finished eating his dinner.

After I ate the entree, the waiter asked if we would like to order any dessert. We declined and just asked for the check. Clearly the waiters do not understand that they need to be more attentive to the diners. With such poor management, this restaurant should be avoided.

• Visited December 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

new jersey
“How could so much go so wrong, bad, disappointing and more”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Just one night to savor the culinary delights of El Paso. We decided to stay close to the Camino Real, the hotel where we were spending the last night before an early morning flight, and took the advice of several recommendations for Central Cafe. The hype was a superb restaurant, excellent wine list, food to match and we thus inferred that we would enjoy service to match. A last minute call for reservations put our night into play.

What greeted us was a restaurant full to the bursting. There was a concert taking place that evening and it was immediately apparent that the scheduler had not accounted for that. We sat for 20 minutes before being greeted by a waiter. No eye contact, no greeting, simply, "what will you have." Ten more minutes brought forth cocktails, no water and no menu. A full 40 minutes after arriving, with our eyes and arms doing a Texas version of the tango, we were finally able to flag our waiter down and have a discussion pertaining to where exactly was our dinner.

It got worse from there. After an hour and a half the assistant manager and then the manager finally interceded, apologized, said the waiter needed more training and coaching, and provided us with a set of complimentary cocktails. Too little too late. The food was simply average, nowhere near to equalling the quality of the wine list and we left feeling angry, duped and after 12 glorious days exploring West Texas and savoring top notch food in Marathon, Carlsbad, Ft. David and Marfa, El Paso came as a dull thud.

Save your money and go elsewhere. Anywhere else.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to Central Cafe? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Central Cafe, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.