“Gave it 3 chances- service never improved.” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #246 of 1,331 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
El Paso, Texas
“Gave it 3 chances- service never improved.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I have been getting emails from the Riviera with some pretty good deals. They sent these e-deals stating that they want to boost business. Made 3 visits in 2weeks. Visit #1- waited over 5 min. for drinks, we watched servers attend to other tables seated after us and 2 servers trying to pass us off. It was not busy, and we don't look poor. Finally we got a server; food came out fast and was good. Well I thought I would give it another try, Visit # 2 - My mother wanted to have a quick lunch, Server was timely, I ordered the lunch special with the 3 enchiladas that was supposed to come with a cup of soup. Soup was already gone at 1pm and the cook must really enjoy salt in the enchilada sauce. I didn't complain, and chopped it up a cook with a bad pallet. I've had the enchiladas before in the past and the sauce was good, must be a different cook. Vist #3- this is the straw that broke the camel's back- Why is it so hard for the hostess to smile, looks like she hates her job. Every time we go in she never has once smiled. The waitress took our order and brought us coffee. Coffee was good. She told us she would be right back with heated syrup for my husband's pancakes. After 5 min. I watched as she was talking and drinking her coffee behind the bar. After 10 min. I flagged a bus boy to remind her, my husband sat there patiently waiting and losing his appetite. Finally she walked back to the table to ask if everything was ok, (seriously?) we reminded her of the syrup and she said oh it’s heating up! It took her 15 min., and a couple cups of coffee to heat up a small amount of syrup! This was our Sunday breakfast, the menu looked good and we have been looking for a good local breakfast place. We believe in supporting El Paso businesses. But don't expect us to go back if they can't give good service. I know this restaurant has been around for years, but service use to be good. If anybody asks, you better believe I will let them know how I feel. I was blown away at the attitude of the staff, it’s like they didn't want to be there and like customers don't matter. Too bad that good customer service is no longer important to them.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

El Paso, Texas
“Lousy food & service, stay away.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

First, I have eaten Mexican food all my life, am married to a Mexican woman, and we are NOT picky eaters. I needed to schedule a famitly get-together and decided to try this place on a whim. Called 2 days in advance and made a reservation for 16, no problem. My sister and her family showed up first and were told they don't take reservations. They put a table together for us. Service to take our drink order was promt, but it took 20 minutes for us to get our drinks (a few beers, sprites for the kids, etc.). Ordered the kids enchilada plate for my daughter (off the kids menu) and it was too spicy (she eats mild to medium hot chilie at home all the time. I ordered the "special" which included chicken fajitas and the chicken was soo overcooked, it crackled like chicharones when I tried to eat it. Beans, rice and enchilada sauce all taste like supermarket quality. Out of the 16 people, only 2 were satisfited with their meals. My wife asked to take home the enchiladas that my daughter ordered and the waiter took them to the kitched and never returned. I had to walk up the the kitchen and bar 4 times to get drinks for everyone. Fortunately, the menu says they do garauntee the food, so we didn't pay for 2 of the plates, but still a waste of time and money. After paying $150, I had to take my wife and kids to Jack in the Box on the way home. This place sucks and for as many good mexican food restaurants in El Paso, I'm surprised this one is still in business.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Mexico
“Used to be better, but still a good choice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

About 30 years ago this was the best Mexican food in El Paso. Seems like all the great old restaurants aren't as good today as they once were. If you get Enchiladas or other items smothered in green chile be sure to ask for the "old-style" green chile, it's SOOO much better than the new version. The tortilla chips are about the best around, the salsa is top notch, and the burritos are large and not too expensive. The combo plates are huge so you won't leave hungry. Prety solid service and some of the waitresses have been there at least 30 years. The best Mexican food IMO is now at Carnitas Queretaro
http://www.carnitas-queretaro.com/ they have several locations and their food is fantastic.
If you want to take a scenic drive from El Paso THE BEST Mexican food would be a half hour to old Mesilla in New Mexico at a place called La Posta, http://www.laposta-de-mesilla.com/
this is about on par w/ some of the best Mexican food in San Antonio (the winner for the best Mexican food in America).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
McAlester, Oklahoma
“My favorite restaurant in El Paso!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I grew up in El Paso(20 yrs ago), and whenever I return, the Riviera is ALWAYS 1st on my list of restaurants! Great salsa, the best Queso, and tasty tacos!! The service is hit or miss, but the food will inspire to forgive!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greeentea79
“Best salsa I've ever eaten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

The Riviera has good food and a comfortable atmosphere. The management is pleasant and cordial but maybe that is because I have never had to complain about any of her servers. Each time I go to the Riviera I receive prompt service, my order is always exactly what I asked for and I always have enough to take home and nibble on later. I would recommend the Riviera to anyone who was hankering for good Mexican food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere