“Great little place!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
elpaso
“Great little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I tried the sirloin chile queso, it was tender and delicious. Very reasonable place with daily lunch specials.

Huntsville
“So good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This place is busy from the second they open until time to close! But it is majorly worth the wait.

I loved their spicy food and they have the best green chille sauce I've had! Great service too! If your waiter was busy, another person in the staff would just walk up and re-fill your drink without you having to ask. It was a fun enviroment and everyone was so helpful.

If you don't mind the place being a little crowded I would highly recommend going to L & J's. They are right next to the cemetary so you can't miss it haha!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“I do not get this at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were deciding between this place and Carlos & Mickey's, rec'd by our Mexican hotel staff. We went with L&J b/c it had nearly unanimously positive reviews - and are very sorry we did. To start, though, the good: it's a really funky place, totally hole in the wall, and the waitress was very nice. The prices are also quite inexpensive. But that is not always worth it for sub-par food.

First, our chips were so salty we literally couldn't eat them. I usually have to salt restaurant chips so it's not like I'm against salt in general, but these were just disgusting. The waitress brought us another basket but they weren't much better. She gave us the impression this happened a lot. The salsas are not really "salsa" so much as hot sauce in a bowl. That's fine, I love hot sauce, I just need a warning as both my children (2 & 4) dug in and got burned badly. It shouldn't really be served with chips like it's salsa. It's better to put on your food than your chips.

We were hoping the main courses would redeem it but alas, no. I ordered one of the "signature dishes" which was chicken enchilada with green sauce but it was basically a pile of soggy chiles on top of overly dry chicken. I ate the salad garnish and that was it. My daughter had a bean & cheese burrito and if you closed your eyes you could easily imagine you were at Taco Bell. My husband had the Mexican Combination and he loved his Taco (I say meh) and the stew, but his cheese enchilada was stone cold and covered in what tasted like tomato paste. My son ate rice and liked it fine. The tortillas are obviously not freshly made in-house, and lended a lot to the general "Taco Bell" flavor. Maybe I am spoiled from living in big cities (Houston, LA) but how hard it is to make a tortilla? We do it at home!

Fortunately all was not lost because we ended with sopapillas and they were DELICIOUS! Wish we'd had butter for them, but even with just honey, yum. So I would suggest going there for sopes & beer!

It was just so disappointing b/c we only had one night in El Paso and we wasted our time, money and stomach space on this place. I honestly don't get the raves about it. If you've eaten in Houston or Southern California this place will not impress you. If however you are from the MIdwest (where my parents live), this is certainly comparable to their Mexican fare and you'll probably think it's great.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Tostados Compuestas Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The small place if just off freeway next to the "old graveyard". It was busy at lunch but didn't have to wait. The tostados were excellent with lots of fresh guacamole, beans, meat and plenty of lettuce and cheese. My friend had enchiladas and he said they were some of the best he had eaten, which is high praise since we live in Dallas where mexican food is everywhere. A must visit place.

El Paso, Texas
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

After hearing nothing but good reviews we decided to try it out. There is a bar and restaurant part. The bar part being bigger than the restaurant part so seating was limited. We had two adults and one child. We ended up having to sit next to the kitchen door which was also being opened and closed and almost hit our daughter several times. It was the only table they had for us and it was a 3/4 table 1/4 booth. My daughter was in a high chair so obviously couldnt be on the booth part. The staff was friendly but service was poor. The tacos were okay, have had much better for less expensive else where. The red "salsa" is not salsa at all, it is just the red sauce that they put on top of enchiladas. So when my husband ordered the red enchiladas he had no salsa to put on top of them. The chips were obviously homemade and were good. There was no heat in the building so everybody was wearing heavy jackets and scarfs. No heat also lead to the food getting cold fast. We most likely will not be returning. Other restaurants have brunch buffets for half the price and the food is much better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to L & J Cafe? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage L & J Cafe, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.