“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 80 Hotels in El Paso
Salem, NH
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed here July 11-14, 2012, and thought it was a great place to stay. The location was great. It's just around the corner from the airport but it was NOT loud. I heard a few planes during the day but nothing at night. It did not keep me up at all.

The hotel itself was very nice. The room was standard, and a little worn around the edges in the bathroom but clean and functional. My king size bed was very comfortable and the room had all the amenities that I could need. I was a single female traveling and I always felt completely safe. There was plenty of lighted parking and the rooms were fully securable.

The staff was very nice. The morning breakfasts were great. I’ve never had a better buffet breakfast at a hotel before. They had real homemade scrambled eggs (not the premade type in most hotels), bacon or sausage, hash browns, beans, cereals, yogurts, bagels, pastries, and bread. Plus, the hotel has a happy hour during the work week.

The pool was a little cloudy but it was a good size and there were plenty of chairs and lounges to hang out on. The hot tub was huge and enjoyable. The hotel has lots of trees too, which I appreciated as a New Englander visiting the desert.

My only complaint is kind of a big one to some guests: the internet did not work most of the time. I was down in El Paso for work so this created some issues. The night I arrived I couldn't get on at all. The wireless signal works and guests can connect to the local network but the internet did not work. The following day I was finally able to connect but it was spotty at best. The staff was very nice and tried to work on it but I heard several people complaining and it did not get better during my four day stay. One minute I could connect and the next it would kick me off for hours.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GMHawthornSuites, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - El Paso, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I wanted to let you know that the hotel is currently working with Internet providers to resolve the wireless internet problems. I understand only too well how very important it is to have reliable, fast, internet connections.
I wouldhope that we see you return in the very near future.
Again, thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

High expectations relative to other Hawthorn Suites (Alexandria, VA), but proved to be disappointing. Hall carpet and room carpet appeared dark and dirty. Seemed to need cleaning badly. My room's daily housekeeping seemed limited to reshuffling my towels. While breakfast buffet selections were good, dinner snacks consisted of popcorn, pretzels, and chips. Really!! Grossly disappointing. Very close to the airport, with a friendly, customer-service oriented.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - El Paso, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I am very sorry that you were not a satisfied customer during your stay. Your comments have been well received and disucssed with individual department mangers. I have also made note of the social hour snack selections and there is certainly room for various other choices to be offered. The Hotel has been making numerous improvements during this past few months such as all rooms have new carpeting, drapery package, and new furniture with the exception of our 18 larger suites which is coming soon. Interior carpeting, wall vinyl and soon to be enlarged breakfast area. We hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you.
Millsboro, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location to the el paso airport. There are several restaurants within walking distance. Good shuttle to the airport. Great breakfast buffet! Great pool and hot tub in the center courtyard of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - El Paso, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your comments and hope you will come back to enjoy once again.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

From the pictures I had higher expectations of this hotel, especially being a Wyndham member. Its outdated. It needs some updating, the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling, the sink was cracked a lot and the faucet was a bit corroded. It was clean. Very small room, there was my husband, myself and two of our kids (ages 5 & 7) and we were cramped. We used one of the side doors to go in and out of since it was closer for us. It really needs replaced, especially the door frame. You could tell it had been broken into and just rigged to fix it. NOT safe if you ask me. Probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - El Paso, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your review. The Hawthorn ElPaso Airport is currently being upgraded a little at a time due to occupancy. More improvements happening every day. I have noted your concerns. Any of our guests can certainly ask for a room upgrade if the size of the room is a concern, dempending on availability we always try our best to accommodate the guest.
The gate issue has been addressed to our Chief Engineer and replacement of door is also a noted maintenance issue. Again, thank you again for your comments as we strive to improve.
Temuco, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

First of all the Hotel was clean. But that was not my problem. Breakfast was a disappointment. Coffee was cold, Waffle Iron was not working, eggs were cold, had to track down the Attendant and then the Sausage was undercooked, Then to top off the week-end the Hotel turned off the water from 11Am to 415PM on Saturday. However, I must say they made us aware they would, but it still caused problems, as we were attending our Grandsons Wedding at 6PM that day.
I did hear from my relatives they were credited one day rate because of the water being off but we were not.
One other point how do you fit all that furniture in such a small room?

Room Tip: Be sure to ask what size room you are getting.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. You are right, coffee should be hot! Can't image what happend as it is in our coffee maker which should always be turned on and hot. Waffle Iron was down due to a spout on the mix container being shipped to the hotel. Cups of waffle mix should have been set out for the morning breakfast. I have already addressed this with our kitchen staff. We did turn off the water (with notice to all guests) as it was an important building concern. There is never a good time to shut the water down, especially at a hotel. I am familiar with the wedding party we had in house and personally spoke to several members of the family about the problem as we worked diligently to resolve the issue. Our room sizes do vary and we are happy to move our guests depending on availability. I would like the opportunity to better serve you in the future. We improve with your comments and I thank you.
Beckley, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was given a smaller room than I had ever had at the Hawthorne (which I have stayed at several times prior) and I believe this was because I booked through Priceline.The front desk attendant was unhappy that I went to the computer and booked through the Priceline website instead of paying the $15 per night higher rate he offered. Room was never cleaned even though I left the "please clean" sign on the door the entire time, possibly because the staff was remodeling the rooms and replacing furniture...The pool was dirty and unusable, which was unfortunate because it was 100 degrees outside. The complimentary hot breakfast is nice, although food is gone by 9AM. I have stayed there several times and overall it is a generally solid hotel, no frills, but clean and works well for business or basic leisure.

I will add that they were remodeling while I was there, so accommodations should be nicer in the future.

Room Tip: If you book through a discount site, expect a less than stellar room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. The hotel front desk staff negotiates the hotel's rates, and not that of any third party. We are happy to honor our third party guests depending on availability, not the size of our rooms. The Hawthorn El Paso is not a prototype Hawthorn, will all suites. The El Paso Hawthorn has various room sizes. A call to the front desk for housekeeping always gets a response should the room have been overlooked for cleaning. Pool cleaning is done twice daliy and as needed during high occupancy, I am sorry you found the pool un-clean. During the weed days our breakfast is closing by 9 a.m. but we always have cereal, toast and juice available. We always want to strive to make improvements and certainly welcome you back. Call ahead and book direct with the hotel-we aim to please!
Thanks again for your review as this helps us to improve.
El Paso
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Got a great deal price wise. Got a small room with a king bed. Got a big outdated bathroom
with plenty of towels. The water was immediately any temperature you wanted. This is a big plus. You can sometimes hear noise from elsewhere. The bed was clean and had plenty
of pillows. The ac/air unit worked fine. The micro and mini fridge worked fine.
The cable tv had many channels. The full breakfast was better than average although the
seating area was small. Everyone that wanted a seat still fit when I went. It was
easy to take food to your room in case the sitting room would run out. Other than the bathroom
fixtures being outdated, the room was fine. I got a great night's sleep but I heard some other people did not. Beds were plenty comfortable. In the breakfast area, many out of town guests at the hotel made rude comments about anything and everything (thumbs down on their consideration towards other hotel guests, immature). Also, I could smell cig smoke in the lobby of my floor but not in my room (thumbs down on their consideration towards other hotel guests, immature). I would say I got more than what I paid for and it exceeded my expectations and needs slightly. Happy overall.

Room Tip: If you need a good room near the airport at a good price, this is it. Just make sure you get a roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
GMHawthornSuites, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - El Paso, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. Good ole Abe said it better than I can say it; "you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".
I do hope you return to see the new furniture we are installing in all of the rooms; new bathroom fixtures in all of the rooms and sofa sleepers in some of the rooms(the suites that is) again, thank you for your positive review.

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham - El Paso? Share your experiences!