“gem of little rock” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Little Rock
Charlottesville, VA
“gem of little rock”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

ok. so i didn't stay overnight here, a friend did. we were staying across the street at the LR Peabody, (directly across the street) which left quite a bit to be desired. after a lengthy afternoon visit to the Cap bar, my friend, who was continuing her hotel stay in LR beyond mine, moved from the Peabody. In fact, the Cap porters moved her. the LR Capital is more like the Memphis Peabody: a historic building that has been tenderly and expertly updated. also to the Cap's advantage: it's family owned, by the Stevens, (who also built the exclusive Alotian golf club) and they don't seem to miss a beat! i don't think i've been to a hotel with such attention to detail or such kind and generous staff. we stayed in the bar for hours, checked my pal in, ran errands and came back for dinner. be sure to visit the cap website as the pics shown on the entry here are out of date. i have added some more, but the one thing i don't have is the new restaurant, which is amazing. my pal who slept here said she felt like she was in heaven. this place is fantastic - not to be missed if you are in Little Rock, even if only for a drink made by the friendly bartender Spencer!

• Liked — attention to detail
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2008

My wife, daughter, and I stayed in the Capital Hotel in Downtown Little Rock and it was amazing. Huge ceilings, beautiful lobby area, and very clean, comfortable rooms. The room must have had 15 foot ceilings, and was very spacious. Flat screen, sitting area, and all for a good price. I typically stay in Ritz or JW...since there is not one in Little Rock, this hotel is my choice. Same type of accomidations, plus you get a good history lesson. I will stay there everytime I go through Little Rock.

• Liked — Beautiful property, great location, accomidating staff, clean, high class, great value
  • Disliked — I only stayed one night!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
fort smith, arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

The Captial Hotel has been restored beyond its original beauty. I had only stayed there once before the recent renovation and had no desire to return. But since re-opening my husband and I have been frequent visitors. The furnishings are amazing. The service is over the top. We have only eaten breakfast at the on-site restaurant but can report it is worth recommending. We've enjoyed the bar and lounge and tasted from the bar menu. Again...recommended. This is the place to stay in LIttle Rock.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Memphis, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

From the moment we drove up the customer service was top-notch. This was the first time I've had the bellman ask my name as I was getting out of the car - this was to let the front desk know we were there - they had the paperwork printed, ready for me to sign when I walked up - WOW! I was very impressed that everyone actually seemed excited about working there - on the way to our room the bellman told us all about the recent renovations showing true pride in the hotel. Even the concierge saw us examining the columns in the lobby and came over to tell us about the hotel's history. The hotel is beautiful. Although our room was small, it was nicely decorated, very clean, bathroom was fairly large (especially considering the age of the hotel), and had very nice bed linens and towels. The hotel's fine dining restaurant, Ashley's, was very good and fairly inexpensive compared to usual fine dining prices. We considered the entire hotel experience a bargain at $200/night.

Stayed April 2008
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

My family had two rooms at this lovely hotel. From the moment we walked in, we were treated as though we were the only guests there...which we were not. The young man helping us with our luggage was informative and helpful. He told us about the history of the hotel as we checked in. The enormous elevator takes you up to the cleanest and most well-appointed rooms than I ever expected to find in Little Rock. The tall ceilings help to make the rooms feel even larger than they are. The food in both restaurants is outstanding. Breakfast is not to be missed. They smoke their own bacon, make their own sausages and serve eggs from a local farm.

I have stayed at the Peabody twice and will never stay there again. This hotel rivals any fine hotel in the Mid-West.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Sonoma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

Although this was not the hotel we originally were slated to stay in for our visit, Im glad the arrangements were changed because this hotel was a pleasure from the moment I stepped in the front door. Orignally built in 1877, this classic hotel was painstakingly and successfully refurbished in 2007.

The doormen, bellpersons and front desk staff were warm, gracious and efficient without being cheesy. The open, well-lit marble and tile foyer with it’s 3rd story stained glass atrium is well-appointed and welcoming if not grand in the Southern style. Even the stylish exterior is clean, well maintained and much more attractive than the neighboring modern architecture.

The ballroom of an elevator is larger than any other I’ve ever seen (outside of a freight elevator) and has a simple chandelier and room for a small bench.

The guestroom I had was large with high ceilings, tasteful lighting, bathrobes, a guest safe and roomy closet. Live orchids, soft (digital cable) music and comfortable, quality furniture made this room a real pleasure to walk into.

The spacious bathroom was nicely supplied with quality amenities, though the towels could have been a little softer. The shower/bath is wonderful. The only problem (plumbing issue) was quickly resolved within 10 min after calling the front desk.

Free “instant-on” in-room wireless internet connection was a pleasant surprise compared to those “click here, do this, accept that” types.

The Capital Bar and Grill in the lobby is a nice place for an after (or before) dinner drink or meal. The glaring HD televisions however, do distract from the otherwise mellow atmosphere.

Highly recommend this hotel especially for a place to bring someone special.

Stayed March 2008
Little Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

There is little enough reason to enjoy hotels these days. They are run by people who have franchises or work for one and have as much feeling for entertaining guests as people as MacDonald's has for haute cuisine. The Capital is different. It is a throwback to a kinder gentler time. If you want to haggle over prices in New York style, don't come here. If you think Victorian elegance is run down, don't even walk in the door. If you only like hotel restaurants with pictures on the menus, please stay someplece better left to ducks. If you are looking for a place to consort with one of those short stay companions, well, you know, please keep them out of the lobby and restaurant. If you are from the North and feel people of color or not who are trying to be courteous and helpful are sizing you up, or are poor and oppressed, please stay away.
The Capital does offer the best restaurant in the South. My mama always told me to never eat in the hotel where I was staying but that is bad advice. The coffee shop and grill is a treasure. The Lobby and Mezanine is just as it was when cotton was sold in the meeting rooms. The rooms and furniture are elegant and the service is only slow when you act like a jackass. There are a few other genuine hotels left in the South like in Greenwood, Miss. but the experience is so delightful, don't miss it.

Stayed March 2007

Been to The Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!