Booked this hotel very-last minute, and it is definitely one of the nicer 4 star's I've ever stayed in (actually, the service quality at this hotel surpasses many of the 5 star's I've encountered- I am impressed). The staff is on the younger side (everyone from the valet parking to the person who shows you to your room upon check-in seems under 25), but don't let that fool you- every employee I've encountered has been extremely professional, polite, efficient, & welcoming. It's evident almost immediately that these employees are good at what they do & the management of this hotel is good at planning every detail of your stay. Right down to the seasonal plant in your room upon check-in (in my opinion, much better than the typical cheap chocolate & fruit dish that a lot of upscale hotels leave you).
The hotel itself is a very historic building, something that I appreciated (it was built in the 1800's). I think the rooms look better in person than in pictures. Although I'm the kind of person who appreciates modern decor over conservative, I didn't mind it at all- because it really flows with the building & its heritage very nicely. The lobby uses its original tiles, and since I stayed around the holidays, they had a large Christmas tree fully decorated. The lobby & hallways even smelled like a Christmas tree, a really nice touch (I think they decorated with live plants throughout the foyers to maintain the aroma).
Room service was also top notch- although the food was a bit salty (but maybe it's an Arkansas regional thing). Overall, the experience was definitely well thought out for their guests & every detail accounted for. As expected in its 5 star equivalents:
- Free wifi (no resort fee- the rate is what you get)
- Free charging station
- Ironing board + iron + slippers + bath robe + travel kit + plenty of oversized towels + extra pillows & blankets + etc.
- Room service, fine dining & casual dining options in the hotel, laundry service (although sadly closed on weekends), bellmen services, turndown service, premium channels & on-demand options, alarm clock, an umbrella, dim-able lighting (a biggie in my opinion), etc.
- Very clean and meticulously maintained rooms
Only thing this hotel is missing would be a mini bar- although I know I could call down for anything, I'm lazy & impatient while on vacation- and every other 4 or 5 star I've encountered had this available for guests like me. Also, it's missing a radio or iPod/iPhone docking station- other 4 or 5 star hotels always seem to have one in case you would like to listen to music in the room.
Overall- glad I booked this place last minute. I think a lot of hotels could learn from this place's attention to detail, and not only their attention to the the tangibles (decor, maintenance of the building itself, collateral pieces, etc.), but to the overall service flow & intangibles. Textbook example of services marketing done right, in my opinion.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Preferred Hotels, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Otel, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your The Capital Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.