“Superb Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Little Rock
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Superb Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Booked this hotel very-last minute, and it is definitely one of the nicer 4 star's I've ever stayed in (actually, the service quality at this hotel surpasses many of the 5 star's I've encountered- I am impressed). The staff is on the younger side (everyone from the valet parking to the person who shows you to your room upon check-in seems under 25), but don't let that fool you- every employee I've encountered has been extremely professional, polite, efficient, & welcoming. It's evident almost immediately that these employees are good at what they do & the management of this hotel is good at planning every detail of your stay. Right down to the seasonal plant in your room upon check-in (in my opinion, much better than the typical cheap chocolate & fruit dish that a lot of upscale hotels leave you).

The hotel itself is a very historic building, something that I appreciated (it was built in the 1800's). I think the rooms look better in person than in pictures. Although I'm the kind of person who appreciates modern decor over conservative, I didn't mind it at all- because it really flows with the building & its heritage very nicely. The lobby uses its original tiles, and since I stayed around the holidays, they had a large Christmas tree fully decorated. The lobby & hallways even smelled like a Christmas tree, a really nice touch (I think they decorated with live plants throughout the foyers to maintain the aroma).

Room service was also top notch- although the food was a bit salty (but maybe it's an Arkansas regional thing). Overall, the experience was definitely well thought out for their guests & every detail accounted for. As expected in its 5 star equivalents:

- Free wifi (no resort fee- the rate is what you get)
- Free charging station
- Ironing board + iron + slippers + bath robe + travel kit + plenty of oversized towels + extra pillows & blankets + etc.
- Room service, fine dining & casual dining options in the hotel, laundry service (although sadly closed on weekends), bellmen services, turndown service, premium channels & on-demand options, alarm clock, an umbrella, dim-able lighting (a biggie in my opinion), etc.
- Very clean and meticulously maintained rooms

Only thing this hotel is missing would be a mini bar- although I know I could call down for anything, I'm lazy & impatient while on vacation- and every other 4 or 5 star I've encountered had this available for guests like me. Also, it's missing a radio or iPod/iPhone docking station- other 4 or 5 star hotels always seem to have one in case you would like to listen to music in the room.

Overall- glad I booked this place last minute. I think a lot of hotels could learn from this place's attention to detail, and not only their attention to the the tangibles (decor, maintenance of the building itself, collateral pieces, etc.), but to the overall service flow & intangibles. Textbook example of services marketing done right, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street- some rooms face an interior courtyard with no view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This was our first stay at the Capital Hotel and we were not disappointed. We had reservations prior to the big ice and snow storm hit LR on Christmas Day. The hotel was accommodating many local residents without power and had even scheduled a last minute wedding. The hotel staff were gracious and hospitable in spite of the overload. Our room was spacious and clean. The decor was very traditional and maybe a little tired-looking, but in keeping with the style of the hotel. The lobby and common areas of the hotel were beautiful. The Christmas decorations, including a huge live down-swept tree, were amazing. The restaurant staff at The Ashley were also amazing. Each person on the waitstaff was knowledgable about the menu, friendly, and helpful. The food was excellent, served in slow courses and with an eye for presentation. The Capital Bar was a little disappointing--obviously the demand was overwhelming for the size of the grill and staff. We had slow, unfriendly service twice in the bar in contrast to the excellent service in the restaurant. The other hotel services were great.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I recently decided to do a 'staycation' to enjoy the Christmas experience at the Capital Hotel. The hotel is by far the best place to stay in downtown, plus it's uniquely Little Rock.
From the minute we walked into the open, gorgeously decorated lobby we were welcomed by the staff and offered genuine service. There was an enormous, well-decorated Christmas tree in the middle of the lobby. Picture worthy.
Check-in was easy and we were escorted to our room which was a luxurious suite on the 3rd floor. The rooms are spacious with very tall ceilings and the bathrooms are wonderfully large with powerful showers.
We met some friends and had dinner plus wine pairings at Ashley's which is the formal dining room in the lobby. I had the jumbo shrimp starter, pork tenderloin main, and banana custard (?) for desert). All recommended!
Splept well, woke up refreshed and served a large breakfast and excellent coffee upon waking up, delivered directly to our living room table.
Overall excellent time and will be back. I highly recommend staying at the Capital Hotel if you're in Little Rock (or if you just want to enjoy downtown). Wonderful experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel on our way north last week. With the high ratings and great reviews, we were excited for our little sleep over! The bellman made sure out vehicle was safe nd secure as well as notifying the check in staff that we had arrived. A desk clerk met us at the door with water and escorted us directly to our room. He made sure we were pleased with the accomodations and did all of the pertinent paper work wireless right in our room. We had 7:30 reservations at Ashley's so went to the Capital Bar and Grill around 6 for a cocktail. The place was packed and the staff did everything they could to try to find us a seat. They repeatedly ask those saving extra seats if the parties were really coming. After about 5-8 minutes a table cleared and we had a fabulous martini. Dinner at Ashley's was nothing but superior. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu as well as the wine list. When we could not finish all of our wine with dinner (thanks to the great martini's,) so our waiter had the bottle corked and sent to our room with 2 glasses. The evening was perfect! Romantic, full and slightly buzzed. So why did they miss they boat? Why only 4 stars? The pillows were rock hard. After about an hour of restless sleep, neither my husband or myself got any more. I tried bundling the robe, my expenseive dress - you name it. At one point I thought of going out side and laying on the curb for comfort. Has no one told them of this issue??? We usually travel first class, but since we have a pet, we sometimes are stuck in HIexpress's that vary widely in quality. None of them have pillows as bad as this place. So unfortunately, all the really nice things everyone had done for us in the hotel was negated with an awful nights sleep. We had a big day ahead, and we really needed to be rested, but were not!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The Capitol Hotel is a destination not to be missed if you are planning a stay in Little Rock. The Hotel rooms are first class and decorated with wonderful attention to detail. It has the feel of staying at a Historic home rather than a hotel. The Staff is professional, very friendly & deliver everything with a positive, "can do" attitude. This same property would cost at least three times as much per tonight if located in New York or Chicago. The Fitness Center next door, free of charge for Hotel guest is top notch and is also is managed by a very friendly staff.

Every member of the Hotel Staff goes above and beyond to create both a stay and experience you will thoroughly enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The lobby's tile floor steals the show. Plus excellent service. Great value. Why stay at the Peabody when you can stay at the Capital? Wish the rooftop restaurant were open a bit more. Sophisticated services.

• Stayed October 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I have spent many a weekend night at the Capital, we often go for the night and then have brunch on Sunday. If you're in Little Rock it's a great treat and the Capital Great Room King is perfect for a weekend away from the house. We recently got married and ended up choosing the Capital for our reception, we have attended events there in the past. If you're considering an event in downtown LR, don't assume that they are too expensive, they were right in line with all of the other venues.

For our reception, I cannot say enough how wonderful the staff at the Capital was in both planning and execution. Everything was absolutely flawless and they ensured that the entire evening went off without a hitch. The food was fantastic; service great, many of our guests commented at the sheer number of hotel staff that was working the event. It was fantastic, many thanks to Gigi the banquet sales manager who was like our own wedding planner. No request was too great or unreasonable.

We also stayed in one of the larger suites, 1 bedroom, 1.5 baths, living, dining; it was larger than most of the apartments I've ever lived in. Very nice

If you're coming to Little Rock or planning an event here, I don't think you can go wrong with the Capital.

Room Tip: We prefer the Capital Great King when going for a weekend night; the standard room are also very nic...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!