“One of a kind!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 61 Hotels in Little Rock
Birmingham, Alabama
“One of a kind!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

You are taken care of from the moment you walk in the door-- First you are taken to your room for a tour of your room, where you are checked in. Rooms have a live plant (peace lily), walk-in closet, chandelier, large windows, table/chairs, sofa chair with ottoman, nice bathroom with nice toiletries. There is nightly turn down service, as well. If you need anything, just ask, and the staff is happy to accommodate. There are metered spaces across the street from the hotel (50 cents/hour starting at 8am) as an alternative to valet car service. Beware-- don't ask the hotel desk staff for help with change for the meter, as this is when I received the least helpful, least friendly service of my stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We spent our wedding night at the Capital and came back two years later to celebrate our anniversary. This is a tradition we plan on keeping. After a long and tiring few days, a night in this luxurious hotel was just what we needed. Elegant and not fussy, the simple decor and comfy beds helped provide a relaxing atmosphere. The wonderful staff are so accommodating and took extra time to make little details for our anniversary special. They make you feel like you are THE most important guest. The comfortable atmosphere in the Capital Bar provides the perfect way to wind down your day. Excellent food (the Parmesan fries with bearnaise sauce are a must) in a gourmet comfort genre hits the spot. Don't miss out on the fabulous breakfast at Ashley's before your check out. One visit to this jewel of hotel will keep you coming back for more.

• Stayed February 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I booked by stay at the Capital based on feedback from TripAdvisor and was not disappointed. I was greeted at the front door, after the valet had taken my rental, and escorted directly to my room. No front desk at all and only a comment once at the room to confirm chafes would remain on my booking credit card. The room was very well appointed with a wonderful bed. I toured the hotel as it is very historic and just beautiful. The elevator was the largest I have ever seen in a hotel and the rumor is that President Ulysses S Grant used it to take his horse to his room. There are two restaurants onsite. I had a great breakfast at Ashleys and dinner with friends at the more casual bar - which had nice live jazz. The hotel is right across from the river with a short walk to the Clinton Library along a great river walk. I found all of the staff extremely friendly and helpful - actually so was everyone in Little Rock. Great hotel stay and I highly recommend The Capital Hotel for anyone coming to town.

Peterborough, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stay in hotels often, and this was memorable. the design, comfort, food, service were all excellent. I look forward to staying there again. This is the only time i have truly been moved to write a review.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed at the Capital on February 15th, 16th and 17th, 2012. We absolutely loved our stay. The hotel is impeccable, from the service as you walk in the front door, the doormen, who are right on top of it, to the reservation and front desk staff who always have smiles on their faces and ask if there's anything they can get you, to the housekeepers who do an amazing job cleaning and straightening your room, and the restaurant/bar staff who exceed expectations. I've never stayed in a finer hotel anywhere. We travel extensively and I have to say, this is by far the best. Whoever is managing this lovely establishment, kudos to you!! I can't compliment you enough. Thank you for making our stay comfortable, enjoyable and unforgettable. The bed was unbelievable, from the sheets to the mattress and the nice soft pillows. What a great night's sleep! When you travel a lot for business and you run into a hotel that treats you so good, it's such a pleasure from all the bad service out there. The little water bottles were very nice and the outstanding free coffee in the morning was an added bonus. The only thing I would wish for at the Capital would be a gift shop so I could by a glass or coffee mug with Capital Hotel on it..I'm a collector. And, if you want a soda and don't want to go to the bar. Other than that, I cannot think of anything I needed or wanted while I stayed there. Thank you so much for your southern hospitality. We will be back next time in Little Rock.

Cook, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stay in hotels about 50 days a year and the Capital is the best property we have visited in a long time. From the reception at the front door to the room housekeeper and all of the people in between, it is outstanding. The hotel food is creative and of the highest quality. The historic component to the hotel makes it impossible to duplicate. It is far more than lodging, it is an experience.

Room Tip: Any room is outstanding
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

This is my favorite hotel in Arkansas! But I checked in today and I think they gave us the worse room in the house! This room is like every other hotel in town. I stay here for the luxury! Im very disappointed. Im afraid to take my chances here again!

• Stayed February 2012
CapitalHotel, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review and for your critique. While I know we have exchanged communication privately, I am posting this response as a clarification of our room types to assist future guests with the reservation process.

We have two room types with the large bathroom you described, eleven Capital Great rooms and four Suites. These rooms are very popular and sell out quickly, especially on weekends. We also have Deluxe rooms, some of which have larger bathrooms, but not all. As with most historic hotels, we have a variety of room sizes and the Deluxe category captures most of these. The Superior rooms are the most abundant and are the size of a standard hotel room. With the exception of the suites, all of the room types are of the same design and finish and come with the same amenities.

Frankly, I would put our Superior room up against any other in the city both for comfort and design. You can find larger, but not better quality.

Hopefully this information is helpful for those considering a stay with us. And hopefully you won't be disappointed upon your return.

Michael Chaffin
Chief Operating Officer

Been to The Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!