“Blast from the past” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Cedar City
Portland, ME
“Blast from the past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

While clean, this motel was the most outdated and small room I have stayed in ever (and I spend about 30 nights/year traveling for business). The "large" bed was only a double and I think the bedding was a hand-me-down from a hotel that updated their rooms several decades ago. The pro: I felt like I was visiting my grandmother's home (literally I have not seen furniture that old in years). The con: the rooms felt like an afterthought and could use a serious facelift.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was a very decent Best Western. Easy check in and nice ground floor easy access rooms. We had tickets to Les Miserables which was an easy one block walk eliminating parking hassles. Very nice from desk. Breakfast was a little modest and not enough seating, but only a minor problem. Rooms clean and nice. Friendly front desk!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Closest hotel to the Utah Shakespeare Festival (a block away).

The beds are top of the line: very comfortable and supportive. The owner told me what kind they were, but I forget. Also quality, soft, high-end linens and towels.

The toiletries left nothing to be desired: shower cap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, makeup remover pads, shave cream, sewing kit, among them.

I liked the fact that there was a window in the vanity/bathroom area which you could open and get fresh air. Also the draperies in front can all be pulled back, exposing a full glass wall in front, for a more "outdoor" feel.

The breakfast is well-attended by a friendly and helpful girl. We had fresh bakery items each morning: doughnuts, rolls, muffins, various kinds of breads and bagels (numerous options for toppings: real butter, oleo, spreads, jams, cream cheese, honey, peanut butter, etc). There were several different kinds of cold and hot cereals, fresh fruit (bananas, apples), yogurt, eggs, toast options, fresh orange juice, nonfat & 2% milk, & a waffle maker: delicious waffles.

The owner of this hotel is present, friendly, and helpful. He gave us background and history of the hotel, which was fun.

I love that there are no shared walls. I cannot think of another hotel that is so quiet, some of which I have paid twice the rate or more. I asked the owner why I couldn't hear anyone in the rooms surrounding ours, and learned that they built the hotel with a foot of dead space between each room, for insulating from neighboring noise. And boy, does it work! We stayed there a week and never heard anyone!

The hotel is the motor-type inn with outside walkways, which I like, and which fits this small, quaint southern Utah town. Mature trees and other plantings (shrubs, flowers, landscaping) make the hotel seem homey and pleasant. We had a room upstairs overlooking the pool, with a large, ponderosa pine outside our front door & windows.

The hotel has refrigerators & microwaves in the rooms, free Wi-Fi & breakfast, free newspapers, an exercise room and spa, and swimming pool.

This hotel's location is maybe the best thing about it (other than a very reasonable rate for a quality hotel). It is only a block from the Utah Shakespeare Festival's Thompson Auditorium and Adams Theatre (plays each afternoon and evening at both venues). There is a restaurant next door, but we didn't eat there, since breakfast was free at the hotel and there were other restaurants close by that were good (Sizzler is just down the street, and there is an old-time drugstore with a soda fountain/ice cream counter a block away. This hotel sits on the main street (main drag), so you can walk up and down the main street and visit all the little shops and restaurants. It feels like you've stepped back in time 40 years!

By the time you add up all the free things provided, you are getting a deal!

The owner told me he budgets $80,000 a year for upgrading and remodeling the hotel. And I can see that he has put thought into what a traveler needs.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room. None of the rooms share walls, as I stated above. The rooms closer to the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I chose this motel for a three day visit to Cedar City for the Shakespeare Festival. The location was perfect- a five minute walk to the campus and theaters. The room was very dated and old, but since I spent most of my time at the plays, I felt that was ok, and the price I paid was pretty low, so my expectations were not high. However, after returning from lectures and plays about 5:30 pm the first night, I was disappointed to see the room had not been cleaned yet. I had even left the "housekeeping" sign out on the door. The next day I had the "do not disturb" sign on the door when housekeeping knocked early mid-morning. I told them I would be done in a half hour. When I returned for a lunch break, it still was not made up. AND the next morning when I went to get dressed, my favorite scarf was missing. (I thought maybe it was left at home, but that was not the case....draw your own conclusions.)

There was a pool that looked nice for families. I did not swim there though. I tried to use the exercise room, but they had recently experienced a flood and it wasn't much. The breakfast was ok considering it was a smaller hotel.

Overall, I am disappointed about the housekeeping experience and the general dated look to the place.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room with a bath if that is important. My room only had a show
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Layton, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We spent a weekend night at this motel in one of their "standard rooms". Check in was quick but we we're not able to do an early check-in as I had hoped. The motel was very close to the SUU campus just a couple blocks walk to the Shakespeare Festival which was nice.

The room was clean but very dated, like 1960/70's. The bed wasn't even a queen, just a double size, but was comfortable. The wifi signal was too weak to use and we checked out at 6 am so I can't comment on the free breakfast.

Overall it was just average and I'll likely look to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

They stored my bags coming and going, made reservations easy, offered a lovely simple continental breakfast with hard boiled eggs, fruit, oatmeal, bagels and cream cheese, fresh waffles (you make yourself), juices, milk coffee--certainly everything I need and eat for BREAKFAST!

MOST IMPORTANTLY, when I was desperate for a taxi to the airport, the front desk's Emily dropped everything she was doing, grabbed her car keys and zipped me to the airport so I would make my flight to Salt Lake City and ultimately to Long Beach! Unbelievable generosity...Hmmm, let's see...when was the last time a Los Angeles or New York hotel even offered to call a Taxi...that would have been 1958? 1995...oh, that's right, NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!! Cedar City hospitality is everywhere.

The outdoor pool looked inviting, the room was quiet with large, excellent beds and the soaps and amenities (coffee, fridge, microwave, free newspapers, etc.) were worth much more than I paid for the reservation.

Best of all, it's only two long blocks to the Utah Shakespeare Festival!!!

Room Tip: Go for 2nd floor with view of mountains and pool so you are a bit sequestered from the street and do...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is an older motel that has been updated. It is pristine--the cleanest motel I've ever visited. Pool, plenty of parking, restaurant, use of the computer, free wi-fi. Very quiet and comfortable. I was so glad to be there. The restaurant is real home cooking and a great value. I recommend this place for anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN El Rey Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!