“The Cozy Country Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Cozy Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thurmont
The Cozy Country Inn
Save Saved
You added The Cozy Country Inn to your Saves list
103 Frederick Rd - Route 806, Thurmont, MD 21788   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Thurmont B&B and Inns
Towson, Maryland, United States
“The Cozy Country Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great small town hotel! I was there for sol/business for a paranormal investigation. Great sized rooms next to a great restaurant. Good internet service. There was no pool or gym but that was ok i was there for work :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Westminster, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked the Reagan Cottage for two nights to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. The problems began as we checked in. I approached the front desk and stated I had a reservation. The woman at the front desk snapped at me and said "for what"? I stood there dumbfounded. After 10 minutes I left the lobby with room key in hand and silently prayed I wouldn't have to encounter this woman again.

The room was nice. Carpet was worn and torn in one area but was something I could live with. The room was chilly so we turned on the heat. We set the temp at 85 and it took over 24 hours for the room to warm up enough to be comfortable. The heat in the bathroom was broken so they had placed a small heater on the floor.

Once we had unpacked and settled in we headed for the bar. One of the reasons we had chosen the Cozy was that there was a restaurant and bar on the premises. We didn't want to drive any where during our stay. The bar was nice and Steve the bartender was friendly.

After a couple of drinks we went back to the room to enjoy the Jacuzzi. NO HOT WATER! We put a call into the front desk and within 10 min someone was there to fix the situation. We had to wait another 20 min for the water tank to heat up. Complete mood breaker. FYI: Even when the hot water is working correctly there isn't much of it so used wisely.

Day 2... something happened to the electricity in the restaurant so no lunch and no bar until almost 3pm.

The food at the buffet was less than stellar and way to expensive.

I would like to mention how wonderful Lee was. He is one of the restaurant managers and was EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. Lee gets a 5 star rating!

• Stayed March 2013
frederick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed here at the cozy spur of the moment one night. The buffet was terrible and after 2 calls to the front desk about no hot water for the jacuzzi still nothing!!! The price for the room was great but the service is below average. If u ever stay here DON'T pay the extra money for a cottage and eat at Rocky's Pizza up the street.

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Thurmont hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

The cozy has great potential but definitely needs a room upgrade. The location is beautiful surrounded by trees and a good restaraunt with continental breakfast provided by the hotel. The cabins are quaint and make an excellent retreat. The hotel has a camp David presidential theme which is endearing. My only real complaint was that they ran out of towels at the front desk and were unapologetic.

• Stayed October 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Ordered a margarita 'up', ice on the side. 15 minutes later a frozen margarita arrives. I told the waitress (?) that wasn't what I ordered, handing it back to her. Another 15 minutes pass, we stop the waitress & ask her 'where is the margarita'. She brings back another drink that was NOT a margarita, so I handed it back to her & asked for a glass of water w/lemon.

The menu's look like a 3 yr old created them, they are dirty & the food choices are terrible.

I asked the waitress if the french fries were greasy. She raved of them. We ordered the smothered french fries. They arrived saturated in so much oil that when I pressed them on the napkins it was soaked with grease. Waitress asked & I said 'I specifically asked you if they were greasy.'

The waitress was anything but attentive. We had to STOP her to get her attention, she was NOT prompt in a timely fashion in her service nor following up on our orders. She was given a tip to reflect her neglect.

NEVER DARKEN THIS RESTAURANTS DOORS, it is NOT worth the money nor the visit.

Room Tip: Pass this one by ...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I booked a room at another hotel which goofed up my reservation and I ended up at the Cozy Country Inn instead. No wonder they had vacancies. The outside stairs up to the second level were steep and narrow, very hard to climb. There is another staircase indoors that is carpeted (but the carpet is very worn) but it was not clearly marked and I didn't discover it until the second day. My "nonsmoking" room reeked of smoke, in part because the ash can for smokers was right outside my window and the AC system was sucking the smoke smell into the room. I moved the can and it got better.The AC was one of those below-the-window units that shakes and groans and when the compressor kicks on it sounds like a freight train coming in the room. I took my shoes off to walk on the carpet and it was STICKY. There were only two lights in the room, both on the left side so NO light on the right. One was a pole lamp with a shade that pointed up to the ceiling, so no light to read by. The other was a small lamp on the table between the beds, with a dark red shade that pointed down to the table - still no light to read by. There was a sign at the bathroom sink that said to let the water run to get hot water - not environmentally friendly thing to do. Another sign in the shower that explained how to make the shower work. Mildew in the grout of the shower tiles....ick. Wallpaper with Paris motif (I was in the French press room) was dirty and peeling off the wall. Did the French press really find this appealing? The TV - a nice flat screen - had TWO remotes and no information on which one would make the TV work. One turned on the TV but it had one channel called "no signal." There was NO clock radio as advertised. A sign by the door said to put a tag on the door saying "maid service" or "do not disturb" but there was NO TAG and in the absence of instruction, I got no maid service. The blanket on the bed I slept in had a hole in it. I came home covered in bug bites - not sure if they were from the room or walking in the woods. Second day someone from the front desk came up and fixed the TV - it had a very short cord and had come out of the wall when a prior guest had turned it. Could not tell that it was not plugged in all the way because it was on the right side of the room in the dark. When I left, I forgot my pillow. Rather than drive another hour and a half each way to pick it up, I asked that they send me the pillow case (part of a set) and donate the pillow. I was charged $5.15 priority mail fee to send me the pillow case.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I love to hike around the Catoctin area and we use the Cozy as a base for our adventure filled weekends. We had a great experience at the Cozy last year when we stayed in the Reagan Cottage. We found it clean and comfortable. However, after our experience this past weekend we may think twice about booking here again. We stayed in the Clinton suite which is the only room without a shower (didn't know this until we were informed upon check in). No shower wouldn't have been so bad if the jacuzzi tub would have had a faucet, but with only jets it was kind of impossible to wash up without actually filling up the tub. I found several hairs on my pillow which meant that the sheets probably had not been washed. There was also an overwhelming smell of mold. My boyfriend said it just smelled old and musty but I think it was definitely some kind of mold. Also, the stopper in the bathroom sink was broke so I had to remove it from the sink to drain the water. I'm not really a germ-a-phobe so things like hair and the sink drain I can live with...but the moldy smell was unacceptable. I really hope the owners fix this problem so that we can stay here again.

Room Tip: Reagan Cottage was wonderful! No shower in Clinton suite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cozy Country Inn? Share your experiences!