“One Bad Moment After Another!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Cozy Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thurmont
The Cozy Country Inn
Save Saved
You added The Cozy Country Inn to your Saves list
103 Frederick Rd - Route 806, Thurmont, MD 21788   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Thurmont B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“One Bad Moment After Another!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Ordered a margarita 'up', ice on the side. 15 minutes later a frozen margarita arrives. I told the waitress (?) that wasn't what I ordered, handing it back to her. Another 15 minutes pass, we stop the waitress & ask her 'where is the margarita'. She brings back another drink that was NOT a margarita, so I handed it back to her & asked for a glass of water w/lemon.

The menu's look like a 3 yr old created them, they are dirty & the food choices are terrible.

I asked the waitress if the french fries were greasy. She raved of them. We ordered the smothered french fries. They arrived saturated in so much oil that when I pressed them on the napkins it was soaked with grease. Waitress asked & I said 'I specifically asked you if they were greasy.'

The waitress was anything but attentive. We had to STOP her to get her attention, she was NOT prompt in a timely fashion in her service nor following up on our orders. She was given a tip to reflect her neglect.

NEVER DARKEN THIS RESTAURANTS DOORS, it is NOT worth the money nor the visit.

Room Tip: Pass this one by ...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I booked a room at another hotel which goofed up my reservation and I ended up at the Cozy Country Inn instead. No wonder they had vacancies. The outside stairs up to the second level were steep and narrow, very hard to climb. There is another staircase indoors that is carpeted (but the carpet is very worn) but it was not clearly marked and I didn't discover it until the second day. My "nonsmoking" room reeked of smoke, in part because the ash can for smokers was right outside my window and the AC system was sucking the smoke smell into the room. I moved the can and it got better.The AC was one of those below-the-window units that shakes and groans and when the compressor kicks on it sounds like a freight train coming in the room. I took my shoes off to walk on the carpet and it was STICKY. There were only two lights in the room, both on the left side so NO light on the right. One was a pole lamp with a shade that pointed up to the ceiling, so no light to read by. The other was a small lamp on the table between the beds, with a dark red shade that pointed down to the table - still no light to read by. There was a sign at the bathroom sink that said to let the water run to get hot water - not environmentally friendly thing to do. Another sign in the shower that explained how to make the shower work. Mildew in the grout of the shower tiles....ick. Wallpaper with Paris motif (I was in the French press room) was dirty and peeling off the wall. Did the French press really find this appealing? The TV - a nice flat screen - had TWO remotes and no information on which one would make the TV work. One turned on the TV but it had one channel called "no signal." There was NO clock radio as advertised. A sign by the door said to put a tag on the door saying "maid service" or "do not disturb" but there was NO TAG and in the absence of instruction, I got no maid service. The blanket on the bed I slept in had a hole in it. I came home covered in bug bites - not sure if they were from the room or walking in the woods. Second day someone from the front desk came up and fixed the TV - it had a very short cord and had come out of the wall when a prior guest had turned it. Could not tell that it was not plugged in all the way because it was on the right side of the room in the dark. When I left, I forgot my pillow. Rather than drive another hour and a half each way to pick it up, I asked that they send me the pillow case (part of a set) and donate the pillow. I was charged $5.15 priority mail fee to send me the pillow case.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Thurmont hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I love to hike around the Catoctin area and we use the Cozy as a base for our adventure filled weekends. We had a great experience at the Cozy last year when we stayed in the Reagan Cottage. We found it clean and comfortable. However, after our experience this past weekend we may think twice about booking here again. We stayed in the Clinton suite which is the only room without a shower (didn't know this until we were informed upon check in). No shower wouldn't have been so bad if the jacuzzi tub would have had a faucet, but with only jets it was kind of impossible to wash up without actually filling up the tub. I found several hairs on my pillow which meant that the sheets probably had not been washed. There was also an overwhelming smell of mold. My boyfriend said it just smelled old and musty but I think it was definitely some kind of mold. Also, the stopper in the bathroom sink was broke so I had to remove it from the sink to drain the water. I'm not really a germ-a-phobe so things like hair and the sink drain I can live with...but the moldy smell was unacceptable. I really hope the owners fix this problem so that we can stay here again.

Room Tip: Reagan Cottage was wonderful! No shower in Clinton suite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manalapan, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the Cozy Country Inn for 1 night, this past weekend. Upon check- in the woman at the desk was not at all helpful and way less than friendly. She acted as if she was doing us a big favor by checking us in. When we entered the room, we felt like we were hit in the face with the smell of mold. We turned on the window AC unit and tried to air the room out, to no avail.
There was only one small lamp in our room and it barely gave enough light to dress by. At first this disturbed us, but after a while we decided that maybe this was a blessing as it hid things that we might not have wanted to see. The television did not work and the bathroom was barely large enough to turn around in. I honestly do not know how this place stays in business.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had a wedding in Thurmont this past weekend and our family rented four rooms at the Cozy Country Inn. Dissapointment is an understatement. For starters the woman at the front desk was very snippy bordering on being rude. the hotel provided us one small bar of soap for three people When I asked for more it was like asking for the moon. She finally relented and gave us more soap. This is not the way to treat a hotel guest who you want to pay a return visit and recommend the establishment to others.

The room we stayed in which was a one room cottage smelled from mold. There was hole or deep depression beneath the carpet in the middle of the room. It was an accident waiting to happen. Two of my other relatives had other bad experiences with their rooms. One cousin had an near asthmatic attack from the mold and when she told them she had to leave, for health reasons, they would not refund her money. She left anyway.

What is very strange about this inn is that they have a restaurant right next door. It is clean, nice looking with historic ambiance and offers a buffet with 30 choices. The help in the restaurant are all nice and so eager to be pleasing . Its like day versus night compared to the Inn.

My recommendation is that if you have to stay in Thurmont, by all means go to the Cozy Country Inn restaurant for any of its meals but avoid the hotel at all costs until the owners decide to make the necessary repairs, upgrades and train their front desk help to be nice to the customers. .

Room Tip: Our family rented four rooms and no had a good thing to say about any of the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
sterling, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Cozy Inn is nestled at the foot of the Catoctin Mountains in Thurmont, Maryland. It is near Camp David and political dignitaries have visited the Cozy in the past. The Rooms all named for Presidents or news media. My wife and I stayed in the Kennedy Room. A very very nice room. It has a huge king sized bed. My wife said it was the best bed she had ever slept in. The rooms also has a wet bar; a full size TV with all the cable channels;heated towel rack;Coffee maker;small refrigerator;fireplace(that we did not use since it was about 90 degress that day) and a nice big jacuzzi for two that we took full advantage. The rooms was very clean and not trace of anyone staying there before us. It was quiet area too and couldn't hear much of anything outside. It was such a nice getaway for us that we will probably go back quite a bit. Also is very affordable for what you get in return. Highly recommend for a nice couples getaway.

Room Tip: Choose the Kennedy Room or any room on the first floor,
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is a unique hotel in a beautiful part of the Maryland countryside near Camp David. Many rooms are designated to many past presidents and other dignitaries & press groups that visit the area. We stayed in the Rueter's Room. It was roomy & a close walk to the fine restaurant on the grounds. Great bed, & nice comfortable chair with automan. Gas fireplace was cozy & took the chill off on a spring evening. Nice breakfast included. Camp David Museum was interesting feature at restaurant.

Near enough to visit Gettysburg & Cunningham State park.

Room Tip: Look online to choose a presidential or specialty room that has peanuts for Carter room etc. Ours h...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Cozy Country Inn? Share your experiences!