“Thiefs in the Madisson Lounge! Watch your property” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Roosevelt Hotel

You added The Roosevelt Hotel to your Saves list
The Roosevelt Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 East 45th Street at Madison Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #347 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Thiefs in the Madisson Lounge! Watch your property”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I went to this hotel last week on business, and they stole my bag in the hotel lounge while having dinner.. Hotel is dirty, a cockroach was walking on the bar.. the staff is unfriendly, the rooms are disgusting.. and I have yet to hear an appology for what happened to me.. I go to New York every year on business this is was by far.. the worst experience of my life! If you park your car with the valet parking, make sure you give them at least 45 minutes to get your car back.. The pictures are very deceiving..Advise, watch your purse.. there are cameras there but the security does nothing to help.. After they stole my bag .. with everything in it.. I asked for another room key.. they were hesitating to give me one..it was unbelievable..Bad, bad place... awful.

Room Tip: Ask for the upgraded rooms, all others are disgusting.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Very well located in midtown, rooms are comfortable although a little tired and typically compact for NYC. Close to some good restaruant and good for NY shows. The little pizza/Italian place around the corner Tony's place is great.

Rooms are well priced, will be back to stay when back in NY.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Front Office Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments and review. We are so pleased to hear that you had a Great stay. You are correct, our central location can not be beat. We are perfect for shopping, business, sight seeing, and of course all of Broadway. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We really had a nice time during our stay. The reception staff were very helpful and attentive and it seemed that nothing would be too much trouble. The room itself was spotless and well equipped. The shower in particular was very powerful. The evening menu was exceptional with a wide choice. The food I picked was wonderfully cooked.. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and review. We are pleased to hear your stay was enjoyable especially due to our helpful staff and "exceptional" food. Most importantly its Great hearing that you will be returning.Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

First off. Let me say location was EXCELLENT. Right near grand central terminal and 5 th ave.
staff very helpful
room. Teeni tiny. Smallest I have ever been in my life .Stayed 3 nights. Couldn't sleep all 3. Couldn't get a bigger bed as hotel was full to capacity. Bathroom amenities falling apart. Shower fixture coming off wall. Tube light no cover.

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your comment and review. Our apologies that we did not meet your expectations. All of your concerns will be immediately addressed. Regarding the size of the room, guests rooms in NYC do tend to be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities or one's own home. Again our apologies and thanks for your valuable feedback.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The rooms are run down. Yes, I meant ROOMS because in 3 nights that my friends and I stayed there we transferred rooms 3 times because the bathrooms were dirty! We were first placed in room 449 and that bath tub had other people's hair in it so as the vanity/sink area. So the night manager transferred us to room 1069 without making sure the room is any better. That room was cramped because it was smaller than the first. Still the bathroom had other people's hair. The third room was 1622 and same condition but it was much bigger so we had them come back and clean the bathroom. However, due to the bathroom conditions we were leery of the cleanliness of the hotel overall. I really wish we had an option to just move to another hotel but this hotel was booked through hotwire and already paid for and it would have been a hassle to go through the refund process and it was just very inconvenient to find another hotel since we only had 3 nights in NY. Also, their customer service was awful. We asked to speak with the manager to show them the condition of the rooms but they had plenty of excuses why they couldn't speak with us. They mentioned to compensate us by giving us a free breakfast but it never happened because they didn't want to talk to us. Horrible hotel experience in NYC for sure compared to the 3 other hotels I stayed at there before. I will not stay at the Roosevelt again. If I have a choice between that and the small The Gild Hotel in Downtown Manhattan, I will choose The Gild over this one. I will even pay extra to stay at the Helmsley if I am choosing between that and the Roosevelt. And I will even choose to stay at the Hilton Midtown on 6th Ave if I am choosing between that and this awful hotel. I had high hopes for this hotel because it's historical and it's NYC hotel, but they really let me down and had the worse NYC stay experience ever thanks to their filthiness and bad service. Although I want to commend a few staff they had Mara who is the concierge who was helpful in getting us the car to get to the airport, Al their doorman who got us the car, Jeannette the front desk personnel who sympathized with us and was nice, and Margie who is one of their housekeeping supervisor who sent someone to clean the bathroom again in room 1622.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have to stay here, the rooms on the 4th floor and 16th floor are bigger. Somehow...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies for any issues you experienced during your most recent stay. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your feedback.
Woodstock, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have stayed at the Roosevelt maybe 20 times over the years. It is in a great location for me as I can pop out of the back of Grand Central and walk over to drop my bags and head to meetings. On the way out of town, my bags will be close to Grand Central as well. It is also close to subways and Times Square (without being in the middle of the craziness there)

This is a grand old, venerable New York hotel. The staff is old school polite and accommodating; very professional. The lobby is active and inviting as you can sit in the main section and people watch, the back section and meet with folks and/or work, and the bar area you can work while having coffee, lunch, dinner, or drinks.

This visit I was a little disappointed as the room I was put in was about a third the size of the typical room I get. Maybe it was because I did not check in until after midnight, but nonetheless, it was pretty tiny and did not even have a desk in the room.

I will return knowing that most likely this will not happen again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and review. Our apologies we did not meet your expectations during your last visit. Regarding the size of the room, guest rooms in NYC do tend to be on the cozy side especially when compared to other major cities or one's own home. Again our apologies and we look forward to your next visit.
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed here early May 2013, the location of the hotel is fantastic only a couple of blocks from times square and all the shopping! ! The hotel on entry was breathtaking very grand reception with the original lifts! The hotel rooms were lovely too however the only thing that let the hotel down was the bathroom, terrible condition cracks everywhere, old shower curtains with massive holes in the shower curtain! We did not eat in the hotel due to the fantastic location to all the restaurants & cafes however the restaurant & bar looked always busy !

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and review, We are so pleased to hear that you had a great stay. You are correct, our central location can not be beat. We are perfect for shopping , business, sight seeing, and of course all of Broadway. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Been to The Roosevelt Hotel? Share your experiences!