“Lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Roosevelt Hotel

You added The Roosevelt Hotel to your Saves list
The Roosevelt Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 East 45th Street at Madison Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #347 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We arrived mid-afternoon on the 21st March 2013 and stayed 4 nights.. Although the hotel was very busy we were booked in and directed to our room very promptly.
The room was very well equipped with king size bed and flat screen TV. We had a room on the 14 floor, which was very quiet and had a great view of the Chrysler building.
The hotel is located right in the middle of Manhattan and is easily accessible from Newark Liberty airport by bus that drops you off on 42nd St. The hotel is then just a 10 minute walk away, Grand central station is even closer just 5 minutes from the hotel.
We ordered room service on one occasion and were delighted by the service and the quality of the food we ordered. (The price wasn’t bad too).
The hotel is impeccably decorated from the lobby to the rooms. The rooms seem more dated in there decor but falls in line with the character of the building.
I recommend for breakfast the restaurant over the street from the Roosevelt called “Cosi” great coffee and food, very fresh and reasonably priced. Saying that at there are plenty of similar restaurants well within walking distance.
I was a bit concerned by fellow reviewers prior to us going to the hotel, but they are just scaremongers, I could not find fault with any part of the hotel and would defiantly stay again.
Ian H

Room Tip: Book a higher floor to avoid noisy trafic
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so happy to hear that your stay was made special by our friendly staff, clean rooms, and central location. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Westbrook, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I needed a hotel to stay in for a quick business trip to NYC. The combination of a great rate and the four star average for reviews on Trip Advisor caused me to select this hotel. I needed a place to just sleep so I wasn't concerned with anything save a clean, quiet room and a courteous staff.

The room was pretty clean. The sheets were fresh but significantly stained to the point that they should have been discarded. The bathtub was chipped and rusted. The drain in the tub was clogged so part of me had the shower I sought while part of me had a bath. I was in and out of the hotel several times so I found the elevators to be particularly frustrating due to their disobeying your floor selection by seemingly having minds of their own regarding going up or down hence resulting in long waits and very crowded cars. I know they claim the hotel has been renovated but I did not get that impression during this particular stay.

None of these issues seemed to surprise the hotel staff who obligingly listened but offered no apologies or corrective action. Trip advisor average reviews seldom disappoint but this time they are misleading.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. All of your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thanks for your valuable feedback.
Woodstock, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was arriving with a small group of friends (we're all 18 on spring break from college) for a one night stay in the city. We picked this hotel because it was only 200 a night and was in the heart of midtown. We arrived at grand central around 10:30am and decided to check in early and arrive when they had the rooms ready later. The lobby is absolutely beautiful with great chandeliers and always seemed busy no matter when you went. I went to the front desk and checked in, and asked for an upgrade (which I was willing to pay the difference for) to a deluxe double from a cozy double because was worried about it being too small. She gave me the upgrade for free and was very helpful. They told us we could return after two when the room was ready. We came back around 3:30 and stayed in room 344. One we left the lobby however, the age of the hotel really showed. Everything (doors, floors, ect.) looked incredibly worn out and dirty. We went to our room and noticed how incredibly small it was. It was kind of shocking since this was the largest of the guest rooms aside from suites and it was the same or less than the average size of rooms elsewhere. The beds were comfortable and we had all the necessities. Our room was a corner room so we definitely enjoyed having two views. Although again the room showed the age of the hotel and it was very hard to find any signs of their multi-million dollar remodel a few years back. Also, the furniture placement was incredibly awkward; they had the entertainment area with the tv blocking the closet door from opening more than half-way. One major disappointment was the bathroom. It was very shabby and not befitting a supposed four star hotel of this caliber. Other reviews on this site said the staff was rude, but we only had one instance of this. On our second day we were checking in our luggage so we didn't have to lug it around after check-out, but one of the bell hops told my friend that he didn't tip him the day before (even though we tipped him as a group) and it was incredibly rude. I didn't know who to go to so I went to the concierge desk next to us and she was very kind about the situation and spoke to the manager for us. Overall it's a decent hotel for people who don't plan on doing anything other than sleeping in their rooms. If you were expecting anything luxurious or fancy, I'd suggest a different hotel.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe which was the largest available regular rooms, and even that was small. I definitely...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, guest rooms in NYC do tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities. Our deepest apologies for any issues your experienced regarding the bellman. Rest assure this will be immediately addressed. However, I am glad to see that your did enjoy your overall stay. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Jose, you made our holiday!! The Bourbon Cocktails, 95% Bourbon, 5% Vermouth and a lovely cherry on top made us giggle!! You even reunited a hat with his owner! Thanks for making us welcome.

JR to concierge was great entertainment and very helpful.

Room Tip: Don't buy the Internet. $15.00 per day per device!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, Jose is a fantastic bartender and we are so happy to hear that you think so too. Thanks you for your great review and we look forward to your next visit.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Looks luxurious, good location and being American, high expectations of good service and amenities. However, in reality, only the public areas were luxurious, our actual room, although very nicely decorated and furnished, was otherwise comparatively basic. The bathroom was tatty, the bath was in need of resurfacing, there was no dressing table, the window was very difficult to open and it was unbearably hot, despite the cold weather outside. We also found out later, when presented with the bill, that the free wi-fi referred to in the literature, related only to the public areas.

Now for service - the staff weren't exactly rude, but were very brusque and dismissive (apart from one young receptionist, who was very helpful) and not as informative as they could have been.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies that the Roosevelt Hotel did not meet your expectations. Rest assure your concerns will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thanks for your valuable feedback.
Port Orange, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

So, I wanted to stay at The Roosevelt because of it's history and I am glad I did but I wouldn't stay there again. The lobby and public areas are very cool, I felt like I was transported to another time which is what I wanted. Loved it.
My room...not so much. When the bellman took me to my room, he opened my door and said "Here is your cozy room." I told him that he wasn't fooling me, cozy was the nice word for "SMALL". The room was small, when I used my toiletries or put on my make up, I put my bag on my bed which was about one step from the bathroom door. Actually, everything was one step away...I was in room 1567 - request another if they try and put you there.
Anyway, I was left with a new shampoo and conditioner but the body cream was half used. YUCK! The towels were small and not bad but not great. My toilet paper roll holder fell off the wall...but I know how to put it back so its okay. I found a grommet in my bed between the sheets - weird. Which makes me wonder if they changed the sheets. The TV, when I turned it on with the remote, kept a black screen but I could hear the show. I had to go to TV to turn it on and off and then I got a picture. The glass door to the shower, one wasn't seated correctly, the wall paper to the right of the bathroom door had a bubble in it and the wallpaper over the bed, the seem was split...bottom line, my room sucked but I guess that is what I get for staying at a historical place.
The hotel staff was great, the bar was great...and the ambiance of lobby area takes one back.
I did not have a ghost encounter like another writer mentioned...:-) Oh...location was also great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. You are correct, the cozy type rooms are our smallest rooms. However, sleeping rooms in NYC, In greneral, are on the cozy side compared to other major cities. Our apologies that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Got an internet deal on a room and decided to have a fun weekend in NYC. Room was tight but PRICE WAS RIGHT! One block from Grand Central Station and from there you can get anywhere on the subway system. Spent minimal time in room, sleep, shower and off to another museum or restarurant or shopping. Will be back. Love the metal Teddy Roosevelt artwork in the lobby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes, our central location is perfect for shopping, gallery hopping , clubing, and sight seeing. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to The Roosevelt Hotel? Share your experiences!