“Nice lobby and close to Grand Central” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Roosevelt Hotel

You added The Roosevelt Hotel to your Saves list
The Roosevelt Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 East 45th Street at Madison Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Book Direct Special
Ranked #343 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London
“Nice lobby and close to Grand Central”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We drew the Roosevelt in the Hotwire lottery and I was distinctly worried when I read some of the Trip Advisor reviews. However it's only fair to judge the hotel based on how much we paid which was not a lot. The lobby is very grand and would be a good place for meetings if it wasn't so busy although there does seem to be good seating on the mezzanine level. Four star so far. We had what they describe as a "cosy" room with a shower on an upper floor. The shower was quite narrow and I banged myself twice on the protruding soap dish. Otherwise it was clean and functional with Bath and Bodyworks amenities. The room was in good repair but honestly it's not really right to describe the Hotwire rooms as four star. The bed was reasonably comfortable but there were no luxurious touches such as mattress toppers and there was a window aircon. Since it was freezing outside this didn't bother us as the heating was very powerful but the sound of rain dripping on the box was a bit annoying. The biggest gripe was the size of the room. There was about 1-2 feet clearance around the bed. If I had paid 250 dollars for this room I would have given it two stars at best.
Depending on the price I would be happy to overnight again in this hotel but the cosy rooms are really too small for a long stay. The staff were very helpful and gave us an early check in but there were lots of people waiting for rooms.
Do check your bill before departure. Ours had food items we had not ordered. Internet is via AT&T, expensive at 14-15 dollars per day, and slow.

• Stayed March 2013
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. We are so happy to hear that your overall stay was memorable. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We booked 2 rooms here through hotwire so they were really cheap. I contacted the hotel 5 weeks prior to trip to explain my father inlaw was not very well so could we have 2 rooms on the same floor so I could check in on him, now with 1000+ rooms and 18 floors I was thinking they may be able to accommodate us. We were early checking in, and our rooms werent ready but the receptionist acknowledged my previous request for 2 rooms on the same floor, she said to return at 3 for the keys. I then had to queue again at 3 to get the keys, but oh well. Now the front desk staff obviously just don't care about providing a good service or that they are the face of the hotel, because they are miserable.... each and every one of them.... So it's after 3, I've queued twice (they are very slow) and not been greeted by 2 receptionists and I have my room keys so we go over to the elevators (6 in total) and we look at the rooms number.... One on the top floor (18) and one on the 10th, so they clearly didnt care about my request (big suprise)

So the rooms, well I knew they would be small and to be fair I didn't care about that. The bathroom is tiny, the way we had to open the door, slide in by the sink, shut the door to slide behind it to get to the loo and then your legs touched the wall and the shower at the same time... not nice at all. They are also very dated with fixtures needing replaced. We aren't snobby travellers either, as long as it's functional we don't really care much.

The bed was not comfortable, I think it needed replacing as there was no support and it sank in the middle.

The rooms don't have a kettle or tea/coffee facilities, they do have a starbucks in the morning in the lobby, but my husband wouldnt make it down there without one in the room first.

We did then ask for my father in law to move to a room with a tub which would help his circulation and they did move him at no extra cost, they weren't nice about it but they did do it which really helped us.

The airconditioning is so loud!!! It was -2 outside but our room was making us sweat with the aircon on... maybe because we were on the top floor and the heat rises I don't know but the room was stifling even with the aircon on.

It took us on average 10 minutes to wait for an elevator down from the room!!! This is a pain let alone when the lobbys are so hot you feel like you can't breathe. So don't stay on the top floor (there are no views to be had anyway)

So the hotels lobby is lovely, but it feels like false advertising when you see the accommodation. The left luggage is handy, we used this twice and they expect tips before they check your bags and after. They have a nice bar which serves decent drinks at decent prices for the area.

There is stairs from the front entrance up to the lobby and reception desks, this is a pain when you have to carry your luggage up and down them - they are plenty of bell hops but they don't offer to help at all.

One evening we went outside to grab a cab of which there were plenty.... but I needed to get in a queue I was told very rudely (this was outside of the hotel on madison avenue..... baffling) so I walked 6 metres and hailed my own and I didnt even need to tip myself or tell myself off.

I also found it very crude that the doormen were always counting their tips outside (never understood what they did actually)

The location is good... ish, very central to Grand Central, Chrysler Building, St Patricks Cathedral, Rockafeller Centre, Times Sq all within a 10 minute walk. But I prefer to stay downtown where there is more to do/enjoy for dinner/drinks/shopping and more history but thats just me :).

How they call this a 4* hotel is beyond me, I would say a 2.5 at best as it is just so basic and they really should have free wifi at least in the lobby.

The housekeeping staff are actually great and really helpful. They cleaned our rooms really well everyday and once when my keycard stopped working, they called security on my behalf and kept checking on me. They were the best thing about this hotel by far.

My advice would be not to stay here but if you do, ask for a lower room.

Room Tip: Lower rooms will stop the wait for the elevators
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very detailed review. Our most sincere apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Again our deepest apologies and thanks for your valuable feedback.
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel was centrally located, with easy access to uptown and downtown, right near Grand Central station. Good value for new York, if you dont want a sparkling new hotel. Has a lot of history attached to it.

Room Tip: Pick a corner room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments and review. Yes there is much history here at the Roosevelt and that is just one of our guests favorite features, along with our central location, value, and friendly staff. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Great Falls, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The location is good and the price is good. Beyond that there is little to like about this dated stinky joint. The check-in service is inefficient with two crass attendants doing little, if anything, to make your experience better. When I say the place is dated, it's probably an understatement. The decor comes straight from the 50's and while I do enjoy retro chic on occasion, the furniture here is just old and uncomfortable. The elevators reminded me much of the Tower of Terror, with multiple rotating numbers circling above the bank of creeky old portals. I honestly expected to see the Adams Family come marching through the lobby with pet bats and all.

The rooms continue the theme of minimalism. There is little space, little furniture, little sink space and little of everything. One exception to this, however, is that there is a lot of noise to keep you company as the windows in the room appear to be razor thin. The bathrooms scared me, I honestly saw little creatures moving about and the space is about the same as a walk-in closet.

In sum, there is very little redeeming about this hotel, other than location and price. People from foreign countries seem to predominate in the Roosevelt so perhaps it is sold through travel agencies. Whatever, this place is really old at this point so please think three times before booking, unless you absolutely need the price (and then get your shots beforehand).

Room Tip: Try to avoid the views of the concrete jungle next door
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. Our apologies the Roosevelt did not meet your standards. Your concerns will be be addressed. Thanks again for your feedback.
Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Roosevelt New York has two nice things: location in the heart of midtown NY, close to everything ,shops ,restaurants, theaters ,Rockfeller Center and so on and, so on.
The 2nd nice part of the hotel is the lobby with a grandeur of the 40' and50' and that is about it.
The staff is completely indifferent from the front desk, bell captains ( the one that took my lugagge just dropped it at the entrance of the room) , to the concierge that is not really interested in making your stay in NY really nice.
Rooms are extremely small and very poorly decorated ( they suffered a complete renovation a short time ago) ,beds are just ok , but the worst part is when you enter the bathroom! It 's like you're back in time! The sink is extemely old, showers with vert litlle amount of water ( it takes forever to shower ), no room for your toiletries . Forget using those provided by the hotel ,they are really of bad quality. The bath towels are small and really thin.
The noise is another problem ,especially if your room is facing Madison Av.
The bar is crowded and once again with poor staff and poor drinks.
Price , moderate but not worth it.
My reccomendation : get another hotel!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay there at least try to get a room away from Madison.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. Our most sincere apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. All of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. Again our apologies and thank you for your valuable feedback.
portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Roosevelt would not have been my first choice had I not won it in a Priceline name your price bid. At $150 a night in midtown Manhatten, I was concerned about what I might end with especially after having read other reviews. Entering the hotel, I was DELIGHTED by the classic, timeless decor and design of this grand old dame. I checked in and reiterated that I was staying 4 nights and needed a quiet room on a high floor. The desk person graciously awarded me an upgraded room(now we're talking!). The room was clean, updated and thoroughly acceptable. Was it a 4 star?....no, but a realistic 3 star ...yes. The king size bed was very firm and the pillows, well, kinda like foam blocks.....not very comfortable for me since I like things softer. I stayed in rm 1163-at the end of the hall-very quiet!!!!!. No view, but who cares-you're there to sleep-right? Get out and see the sights and experience America's greatest city. The real value of this hotel is it's location...steps from EVERYTHING....and you will delight in not needing to pay for transportation and if you do need transportation, you are steps from subways,, buses and cabs. Starbucks is available in the lobby, and all sorts of personal services are available in the atrium. Check your luggage in the lobby if you arrive early(no fee) and start your big apple fun. Download the Roosevelt's app and you will be rewarded with free Internet in your room(YES!!!!)-you must ask for it though. All in all, for $150 a night, this was a smokin ' deal. Save money buy staying here and spend your vacation dollars on theatre, opera, ballet, dining and loving the sights and sounds of this great city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and review. You are correct, our central location is just one of many guest's favorite features of the Roosevelt. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel over the St Patrick's Day weekend, and was a little nervous about it after reading some of the reviews on here. Don't be put off... it's a perfect hotel for a weekend break. The location is amazing, we walked everywhere! it's right near Times Square, 5th Avenue, Grand Central Station, The Empire State Building, and a short walk away from Central Park.

The Lobby is as amazing as everyone says. The check in staff were not the most happy people i have ever seen, but i would hardly say they ruined my experience, i was not there to make friends, i was there to get my room key, drop off my bags and go explore NYC!! The bell boys, concierge, bar staff and everyone else seemed fine, it was just one lady on reception that was a little miserable! The room was average in size, with a massive comfy bed with lots of pillows, a desk & chair, another arm chair, and a small bathroom with a shower. The room was very clean, as was the bedding, bath towels and bathroom- which is all i really cared about. People on here that moan about the room are ridiculous- we didn't spend all that money to sit in a room for 4 days. It was clean and comfortable, the maids came in everyday to make the bed, give us new towels and clean the bathroom. No we didn't haver a mini bar, but there is a huge bar in the lobby, another bar on the side of the hotel (the Vander bar- which has a great atmosphere) and in the summer, another roof top bar opens, not to mention the fact the hotel has room service and a vending machine on every floor, so it's not exactly hard to get a drink!! The Hair dryer in the bathroom is good. The air con was noisy, so we just opened a window. The TV is fine, we put it on every morning to watch the news while we got dressed. There is an iron which is also very good, as well as an ironing board. You can here the traffic outside a little, but it didn't keep us awake- it's to be expected in the middle of a busy city.

If you want somewhere in a great location, to sleep, rest and shower/change clothes then stay here. I would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments and review. Wow! You stayed here on ST. Patrick's Day weekend, its one of our busier dates of the year, we are happy you got to experienced the festivities first hand as the Roosevelt is SHAMROCK CENTRAL. Thanks again for your great feedbackand hope to see your next year.

Been to The Roosevelt Hotel? Share your experiences!