“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Giraffe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Giraffe to your Saves list
Hotel Giraffe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   365 Park Ave S, At 26th Street, New York City, NY 10016   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sweet Savings & Freebies
Ranked #5 of 451 hotels in New York City
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stopped for two nights at the hotel. We had been on the QM2 Southampton to New York and wanted to stop a couple of days in New York to revisit a few places before flying home. I did a lot of research as when we last stayed in NY we were happy just to have a bed for the night and weren't worried by the luxuries. However a few years on luxury is higher on our list! The hotel looked lovely on the website but to be honest what swung it for us was the wine and cheese evenings, breakfast and tea/coffee and snacks supplied whenever touching base. The roof top garden was another pull and we were so lucky with the weather that we did take our coffee up there which was bliss. I knew I had picked the right hotel when the doorman was so friendly and helpful. The room was just lovely with a small balcony. The room and bathroom are large for NY and immaculately clean. The staff did everything they could to help including lending us something that could charge our iphone and ipad as we had lost ours. The cheese and wine is served for three hours and it is great to plan your evening or next day relaxing in this way. It was very well supported which made the hotel lobby have a good atmosphere. Although I had thought it was quite expensive to stay there, taking everything into consideration, I think it absolutely suited us and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

2,023 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here May 13, for 5 nights, we found the hotel, clean well presented and a good location. Room size was good, we booked the Balcony Suite with a King Bed. Complimentary breakfast was included, food was always fresh and available. really enjoyed this hotel and we will be re-booking on our next trip. Being super critical some things to be aware of, breakfast area gets busy on weekends, but management make every effort to get you a table. What is available for breakfast range is the same every day and quite limited. The bathroom could be interesting for some with a frosted glass door, that should have been frosted more :-).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lehi, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel was very clean and nicely furnished. The bedding was comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and extremely professional. One of the nicest places I have stayed at this price point. Location is great as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Madrid
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Take the timne out of your life to travel and see the world.

Take time out of your life to enjoy the fine things.

The hotel giraffee is just one of those places.

Nice rooms, yes some are small and yes some do leak noise where the balcony doors do not close properly letting in sound.

Yes you could get frustrated at the lack of a service lift for the cleaners and caretakers who forever use the life at their own personal convenience hold open the doors on floors whilst endlessly blocking it with their carts.

Yes you could get irratated by the inconsistency of the reception staff.

But in truth all this does not matter, the hotel is a gem.

You should shop around for a deal, this place can be found on virtually all discount sites and the staff almost expect that you did as nonone pays full price in the age of the comparrison site right?

You get wifi, breakfast and for the bill you also get an afternoon snack of cheese if you are around and can listen to a pianist while sipping something nice.

There is a small roof patio, not great sights as it is sited on a side road but you can get the feel of NY city from up there.

There are many services in the roonm, 2 stereos, dvd player so make yourself at home.

Lovely coffee and biscuits 24/7 made a real difference too.

• Stayed May 2013
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Tony_Abscess,

Thank you for this wonderful review of your stay with us! We are so thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel and the amenities that we offer. We did want to take this opportunity to mention to you and the TripAdvisor community, that you can compare all the travel websites, but there is no doubt that the lowest rates are exclusively offered on our own website. That is true for Hotel Giraffe and all our sister Library Hotel Collection Hotels. As a TripAdvisor member, why not take advantage of the exclusive special offer posted at the top of our profile. It is a terrific deal and our way of saying thank you to TripAdvisor for offering this wonderful way to communicate with our current and potential guests. Thank you again for the glowing review, and we hope to welcome you back time and time again!

Kind Regards,
Peter Velk, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

This place went above and beyond to welcome us and make our stay something very special. I told them we were here to celebrate my son's 10th birthday, our room was upgraded and we had chocolate milk on ice waiting when we checked in. Staff were warm, friendly and knowledgable. Free breakfast and snacks were a hit with everyone. This hotel is elegant, sophisticated, but warm and friendly.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed from may 2 to may 10 in a 2 double beds (3 adults) room.
Let's 1st start with the only - tiny - reproach I will make: queen beds would have been much more appreciated (doubles are definitely not large enough, it is a pity that the hotel does not even propose them). That being said alĺthe rest was fantastic.
The room was exactly as displayed on the web site. It was very large, very clean (as the whole hotel is anyway) and´with modern and cosy furnitures. Many drawers and hangers were available. So was a large safe deposit box. A very large flat TV (Sony!) was seating in the middle of the - large - desk and was offering many channels. Wifi was available in the room (everywhere in the hotel actually). A comfortable chair was located near the balcony that - despite being small - was a true plus. It was extremely nice to be able to open the window, access fresh air and overhang the 26th street and park avenue (we were located at the corner). Bedding - despite the size issue - was excellent wich a choice of comfortable - feather - pillows. Bath room was large and modern with various amenities. Bathrobes and slippers were available. Every night the housekeeper prepared the beds, brought bottles of water and left chocolates (which were excellent, which is almost never the case in the hotels). These are small attentions but it is very nice to come back and find it as well as being welcomed by soft lights and low jazzy music. The continental breakfast was served in the lobby. It was ok with quite a large choice of pastries, breads, fruits, etc. We only had to wait for a table the 1st morning. After that, though there are a limited number of seats, we always managed to find a table quickly. One extremely pleasant thing is the cheese/wine buffet available from 5 to 8. I always considered this as not´being really interesting. I was so wrong! There is nothing more pleasant than coming back at the hotel after an entire day of walk - and we walk a lot in NY! - and enjoying this with a chilled glass of while Chardonnay while listening to piano tones. This is really what we love the most. In addition, the woman in charge of this is really taking care of you. So do the whole staff actually. With a special mention to the ladies in charge of the breakfast and the guys at the entrance (always willing to please and with nice words when you go out/come back).
To summarize: excellent hotel, very well located (5mns from the metro), with a whole staff very client oriented .... Everything you can expect when you travel. We will definitely stay here again when we will come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I took a chance with the Hotel Tonight app & ended up at the Hotel Giraffe following a day in New York City for work. The hotel is part of the Library Hotel Collection, so even though I hadn’t stayed there before, I knew I was in good hands.

Check-in was a breeze & my room was ready for me when I arrived at 4pm. I was a little dismayed to find my room directly across from the elevators, usually a noisy spot, but hall noise was never an issue. My Balcony Guest Room with a King Bed was big by New York City standards & the cute little Juliet balcony was perfect for stepping out & getting some fresh air. The room had all sorts of gizmos & gadgets, including a switch by the bed which controlled a room darkening shade. The bathroom was a decent size & finished nicely. The tub was the perfect size for soaking & the slippers & robe were the perfect extra touch. The room included a mini-bar of snacks & drinks (including two complimentary bottles of water), but no in-room coffee maker. I wish hotels would realize that offering coffee in the lobby isn’t very convenient for a solo traveler – I don’t want to have to get dressed in the morning just to go get my coffee! My few biggest complaints about the room? Zero desk space for working (I worked for a few hours sitting in a tiny, cushy chair – not ideal), horrible HVAC (either too hot or too cold), & a rock hard bed. The location of my room also meant that there was a lot of overnight street noise from several garbage trucks – ’tis life in the city, I suppose. A plus side? The wifi was strong in the room & complimentary – perfect for my 3am insomnia!

As with all the properties in the Library Hotel Collection, the Hotel Giraffe has a delightful wine & cheese reception in the evening & a great continental breakfast in the morning. In addition, they have 24/7 coffee service available in the lobby (I may be slightly addicted to their decaf cappuccinos).

The staff, who knew I was traveling alone & only staying for one night, were still extremely nice. I love getting local restaurant recommendations from hotel staff & asked four different people for their favorite local eats, since it was my first time staying in that neighborhood. Their two recommendations were: the hotel restaurant & “this Italian place down the street” – not exactly the recommendations I was hoping for. Luckily, I stumbled upon a restaurant on my bucket list: Gramercy Tavern.

I’d give the Hotel Giraffe another shot if the price was right, largely because I loved the neighborhood. Next time I’ll ask for a room on a high floor, facing Park Ave., which would hopefully help create a quieter night. Luckily, if I find myself awake again, I can just have another decaf cappuccino.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, choose a room on the Park Ave. side, on a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
HotelGiraffe, General Manager at Hotel Giraffe, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear tuffy0317,

Thank you for this review of your stay with us in March. It is wonderful to hear that there was much about your stay that you did find enjoyable, and thank you for your feedback where you felt that your stay lacked. We will happily mark your guest profile to have a personal coffee maker in the room for you on arrival for your future stays. We do have them available on request. It is true that we try to coax our guests to enjoy our full hospitality in the Grand Lobby. How would we ever have gotten you to try our amazing decaf cappuccino otherwise? We also now have menus of all of the items you can request, to customize the comfort of your rooms, displayed on the beds of each room when our guests check in. Another item we will be glad to have already set up in the room for you is a fluffy featherbed mattress topper, perfect for those who prefer a softer bed.

We are actually puzzled by the comment about the desk since we get so much positive feedback about the spacious granite desktop that measures 91 inches long x 24 inches deep and has a hard back chair, which is offered in addition to the cozy lounge chair in the room. We would love to hear any feedback from your perspective on why that desk did not work for you.

Because the concierge get so many people asking for the closest restaurants, occasionally, they forget that some people are looking for the most innovative, or trendy, or highly rated restaurants that are an easy walk from the hotel. I am so sorry that these recommendations were not personalized to your individual needs, as recommendations always should be. We will be sure to review this in our training and focus on this issue in our “Best Practices”. It just so happens that this neighborhood is a foodies dream, with many of the most highly regarded restaurants in the city including 11 Madison Park, A Voce, SD 26, Les Halles, Craft, etc.

We sincerely hope that your travels will bring you to Hotel Giraffe again in the future. Please feel welcome to contact me at anytime, to help you with floor and room requests, at peter@hotelgiraffe.com.

Kindest Regards,
Peter Velk, General Manager

Been to Hotel Giraffe? Share your experiences!