“Quiet, smaller, modern hotel with great service and extras” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Giraffe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Giraffe to your Saves list
Hotel Giraffe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   365 Park Ave S, At 26th Street, New York City, NY 10016   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Sweet Savings & Freebies
Ranked #5 of 452 hotels in New York City
Northern VA
“Quiet, smaller, modern hotel with great service and extras”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here one night (Friday) in a king suite room that was very comfortable, clean, and relaxing. I had stayed at the Hotel Elysee, this hotel's sister property on 54th, for the previous 3 nights, and I have to say I preferred this hotel in every category except location. I loved the more modern furnishings, sleek decorating, and soothing atmosphere here. The king suite had a queen sized pull-out couch that was very comfortable for my daughters. We had a better view from the 4th floor of 26th St. and Park Ave. than we had at Hotel Elysee on the 8th floor, where our view was of a concrete wall. The rooftop bar was probably my favorite thing about the Giraffe, with wonderful views and fresh air (well, as fresh as you can get in NYC). My daughters were warmly welcomed and each had shirley temples, which they loved. A fairly extensive continental breakfast, evening wine and cheese, and cookies and water/tea/coffee at all other times were available in the comfortable lobby. My daughters even enjoyed a game of chess in the lobby while I visited with a friend one evening. The concierge was helpful in recommending a restaurant for dinner on short notice (Les Halles, French, a few blocks north on Park... delicious!) and provided us with a great, detailed map of the neighborhood that included restaurants, stores, and services. Madison Square Park is only a block away with a playground, and the Flatiron Building on the other side. There are 2 subway stations on the 6 local line within 3 blocks on either side. Since I was traveling with my daughters (age 9 & 11), I preferred to be a little closer to the places they wanted to go (Central Park, Times Square, 5th Ave shopping), so Hotel Elysee was better in that way, but if you don't mind a quick subway ride and a little more walking, don't let that deter you from Hotel Giraffe. On Saturday morning we had a little bit of trouble getting our car because of "Summer Streets", when they block off Park Avenue for 3 Saturdays during the summer. However, the staff was very helpful giving us directions around the road closures, and we were not in any big hurry to leave this wonderful hotel. We just hung out in the lobby for a few extra minutes and had a few more cookies. It was a wonderful experience and I would definitely stay there again.

2,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Bandar Seri Begawan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I found the Hotel Giraffe a satisfying experience not least the well appointed and spacious rooms. The Hotel provides free wifi throughout, and has a cosy informal lobby which also serves as a club like lounge for the guests where breakfast is served; and also drinks and cocktails in the afternoon. Service is efficient in an unobtrusive way.This hotel is conducive for longer stays as it has the feel of service apartments, and located in a centrally located yet relatively quiet neighborhood with a residential feel. Room decor is elegant in an understated way(perhaps a touch somber with hues of gray dominating)Their king suites are well configured, but if possible, ask for rooms ending with 06, which faces Park Ave and has better natural light. There are some nice touches as housekeeping puts on classic music in the guestrooms in the evenings
One minor complaint was the card keys we had sometimes played up. Another limitation is the hotel lacks knowledgeable concierge which some larger more touristy hotels would have. Whilst two subway stations are close by, unfortunately this are confined to only one local line(line 6). Overall recommended

Room Tip: ask for rooms facing Park Ave South, on higher floors
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

After hours of research I picked Hotel Giraffe for our family trip to NY city. It was my daughter's 16th birthday and I wanted everything to be perfect. We stayed the first few days in Times Square and then moved to the Giraffe for the last two nights. The location was ideal and very close to two subway stations. This hotel was a welcome retreat from the craziness of Times Square. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Because it was part of the library collection of hotels the teens were provided with a classic hard covered book of their choosing. There were also books provided in the room. We loved the darkening screen that covered the window for sleeping that was activated by a switch (just like the movies!) The robes ans slippers provided were a nice treat. I especially liked the turn down service and returning to my room at night with dimmed lights, jazz music and chocolate on our pillows. The staff also provided us with fresh bottled water daily.
My husband and I enjoyed the afternoon free wine, cheese and appetizers and piano music playing in the lobby. Afterwards we escaped to the open air rooftop bar and enjoyed more appetizers and drinks. Our teen children never felt unwelcome. Breakfast is served daily in the lobby and there were two staff members who were only too happy to make us bagels and tea.
A final perk was the doormen who waved us taxis, provided umbrellas for use, and always welcomed us with a smile.
Hotel Giraffe was a wonderful hotel with a great location and I suspect we will return for our next vacation in New York.

Room Tip: Book early! We wanted to stay our last 3 night in New York but only the last two nights were availab...
East Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We just spent a wonderful weekend away in New York City. I wanted to try a hotel that did not have the typical name brand attached to it. I was pleasantly surprised that the Hotel Giraffe was the best hotel that we have ever stayed in. We stayed in the king with sitting area, which our teenage son found very comfortable. The Hotel is extremely clean, the staff is very polite and helpful. The added bonus is the hospitality of little extras in the morning and throughout the day. Both outside patio and lobby are very comfortable to relax while waiting for family members to gather.
We highly recommend Hotel Giraffe.
The Daniw Family

Kingston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Giraffe for a weekend with 3 friends and had a wonderful experience! Kirsten and the entire hotel staff were lovely and so accomodating. I asked to get into the room early to decorate for my friend's birthday and they let me in no problem, and provided some tape to hang a 'Happy Birthday' banner. The rooms were good size and clean with quality bedding. The lobby is very inviting with tables and couches to enjoy the complimentary coffee, wine and apps! We had a drink one night at the bar on the rooftop terrace which was so nice. The rates are very affordable considering you get breakfast, wine, apps and clean and comfortable accomodations. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone I know. Thanks for a great weeend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is the second time that I have visited this hotel and it certainly wont be the last! This time I came to the city to have a reunion with my cousin whom I hadn't seen in a long time. Upon arriving, in my room there was a bottle of wine to celebrate this event. This establistment is all about SERVICE and it is always done with a smile or a kind gesture. I love this place for its coziness and efficiency. Again thank you Jose for everything you do for this hotel and the patrons.

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Wonderful hotel. Exceptionally clean. Breakfast included (continental). Around 5PM, complimentary wine and cheese. Loved that after walking up and down Manhattan all day. Great restaurants very close (head to the Flatiron building -- wonderful restaurants all around). For more reasonably priced restaurants (but good) head to Lexington two blocks away. Everyone at the hotel was great and offered helpful tips. Subway (#6) downtown right across from the hotel and the uptown (#6) only a block or so away. Tried out the restaurant in the basement of the hotel -- very happy with our meal. Good for your first night after your plane flight. Would strongly recommend this hotel and its' location.

Room Tip: Stayed at terrace suite -- great for families. Separate bedroom and pull-out sofa for our daughter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Giraffe? Share your experiences!