“Great location, great apartment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oxbridge Apartments Carnegie Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Oxbridge Apartments Carnegie Hill
Save Saved
You added Oxbridge Apartments Carnegie Hill to your Saves list
1412 Madison Avenue, East 97 St., Carnegie Hill, New York City, NY 10128 (Harlem)   |
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great location, great apartment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked our stay here as the hotel we had chosen became fully booked whilst we were deliberating! Lucky for us though as this apartment was amazing. The location was fantastic and the apartment itself was fantastic. It was really spacious and very clean. It also had free wifi which was great for us looking up attractions and taxis etc.

On the first day we realised the wireless wasn't working. There was a number to call to report it, and a phone in the apartment so we didn't need to spend lots of money on our mobiles. We went out the next day and when we came back it was fixed.

The only downside to this apartment was that it was up two flights of very narrow stairs, a nightmare when you are female and don't pack lightly! (and we were there for a week so we had a lot of stuff!).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Decent sized apartment at a good price for Manhattan, close to Central Park with plenty of good shops and restaurants. On the downside, the apartment was a little tired with an idiosynchratic layout for the two bedrooms. From the larger bedroom, you had to walk through the second bedroom to get to the rest of the apartment. Despite double glazing, the ridiculous method of installing an air conditioner meant that every noise in the street (and it is a very noisy street) echoed in the main bedroom. There is no elevator and a narrow staircase which makes suitcases a real chore.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Our first trip to NYC and eventually decided on an apartment after checking out the eye-watering cost of Hotels in Manhattan, makes London look a bargain. Always the positives first. The apartment was roomy and more than adequate for our needs, clean and with all the facilities you would want. Wifi was fine but lacking in TV channels for America, most places you stay have dozens! CNN would have been nice. Good coffee and bagels just over the road and pleasant bar/restaurant right next door. Central Park just a block away, the subway probably a brisk 7/8 minute walk. Only one line goes up the East side, which is a bit limiting. The cost was OK, certainly not a bargain but bearable. Locale is fine, on the edge of the very ritzy Upper East side with some amazing mansions on Madison and 5th Avenue.

Not so good? Up 3 flights of stairs so beware if you have serious luggage. As mentioned by others, key collection is on 5th Avenue and a good 12/15 minute walk away from the apartment, not easy with bags. Madison Ave is noisy but to be expected really, but the delivery trucks and rubbish collection people are out and about very early indeed. Do not expect a cheerful welcome, there is no person to person contact at all. Everything done by email and phone if you have to. Instructions are precise but hardly welcoming and accompanied by a long list of things that are strictly not permitted, accompanied with the appropriate sanctions if you are in breach! Check out is 10am and bags can be left until 12pm and absolutely no later. A request to extend this to 2pm (we had a late flight) was met with a flat no.

I am probably being a little unfair here as the apartment was fine and I would use it again if I needed to be in the vicinity. That said when they say Upper East Side they are not kidding; Downtown is some way away. Recommended with reservations.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
roma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Nice place, quite, clean, comfortable, well connected to the rest of the city.

Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

Trying to find this place was the first upset, the location is actually called "The Diplomat" not oxbridge apartments which was frustrating. Couldn't check in till 4pm and doorman said we can leave items in lobby only but he is not responsible for them. Was very dusty, and paper on the door said that we need to clean our own room, recycle, and throw out trash. Not what I planned for a vacation. Which made me think they did not clean their apartments. Barley had any channels on the tv, most allowed were in spanish, which was fine for me since I know spanish, but my boyfriend was not too happy. Bed was very creaky and uncomfortable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Mukilteo, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

We had no problems with staying at the apartment. It was a little strange to just check in a few blocks away, get the key from a doorman and head to our rented apartment, but it was also awesome. Nice to have a full kitchen, wifi, great cable channels when we just wanted to rest a bit from running around the city. A bit of a walk from the subway (4-5-6), but you can't really avoid subway trips in the city.
Lots of space in the apartment, too- bedroom had two twin beds, futon would have slept someone, and someone could have also slept on the fold out chair (futon style, as well). Would be great for a group.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

I stayed in apt.2B. It's a bit more shabby than the photos suggest but in my experience that's often the case. The Oxbridge is exactly what you would expect from 2* acommodation but remember its a self catering apartment NOT a hotel. I rented it when visiting family who live a couple of blocks away on 3rd and it was perfect. Very clean with plenty of towels provided, hot water at all times and VERY warm (in fact I resorted to sleeping with the window open!). Some of the mugs and plates in the kitchen looked a bit grotty so I got some plastic cups from a nearby supermarket and used them instead.

My only complaint: only a door separates the bedrooms of 2B and 3B which I found a bit disconcerting and my 'neighbours' woke me up a couple of times. however, having read the reviews on this site I had taken earplugs and it didn't really bother me - after all you are only staying there, not living there on a permanent basis! It makes me wonder why I ever spent my money on hotels........

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Been to Oxbridge Apartments Carnegie Hill? Share your experiences!