“Good price for an ensuite room in NY but poor standards” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Central Park West

You added Comfort Inn Central Park West to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Central Park West
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   31 West 71st Street, New York City, NY 10023-4103 (Upper West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #374 of 464 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Good price for an ensuite room in NY but poor standards”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Chose this hotel as it had an offer and comes with an ensuite bathroom, Great location in Manhattan and close to the subway.
Hotel is small and with one tiny lift to cater around 20 floors isn't great. I had a Queen room which is adequate as I was travelling on my own; the room isn't the cleanest and the latch lock on the door was broken.
Breakfast is very basic with a small seating area at the back of the ground floor.
Note: Keycard loses it's data if comes to close contact to mobile phone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The smell in the room was overpowering. Each pillow too smelt like it hadn't been changed in years. The carpet was extremely old and I could not wait to get out. There were no bath towels so I had to ring for them. Having requested towels and air fresher the staff delivered and were delightful about it but I will never stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel at the start of september and was quite happy with my stay.
it's a good price, really close to everything. 100 metres from central park and a block and a half from the Number 1 subway line. I had a king size room, which was recommended by others on this site and if you want some extra room, i recommend it. i was happy with everything about my room and it was always clean. the staff at reception were alway friendly and happy to help. im not a breakfast person so i can't comment on the breakfast room.
i would definantly stay here again when i come back to New York.

Room Tip: book a king size room for more room. especially if your there for more than a couple days
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

we chose a hotel on central park, convenient for shabbat! The rooms, being NYC are not huge but the bed was extremely comfortable, the staff were helpfull and very pleasant, they let us store our kosher food in the breakfast room (locked) refrigerator. The room was quiet and the bathroom was more than adequate,although the towels were a little worn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Me and my partner visited New York in January we had booked this hotel because it was a good price and included breakfast which a lot of hotels in New York do not. Breakfast was really good - there was a waffle maker, plenty of cereals, fruit and yoghurts to choose from. The check in was very quick and the reception staff were very friendly, we had a room on the 8th floor the lift/elevator was quite slow but it was a lot easier than walking up all of the stairs! The room was a good size - the bed was nice and big, the wardrobe/closet was a good size, we managed to fit both suitcases in it and ALL of the shopping we did whilst there. The bathroom was basic but clean what else do you want? All you use the room is to sleep, every day we left at 9am and then got back at 11pm. We paid $5 for the safe in the room which was great as all of our money and passports etc were safe when we went out for the day. It is a 3 minute walk to Central Park - the entrance where John Lennon's memorial is, I would definately keep make sure you keep at least half a day free to wander round Central Park, the hotel is 2 stops away from the National History Museum which is a must see!

Room Tip: We booked through Thomas Cook so we didn't need to specify a non smoking room but they do still...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Emmendingen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The russian reception lady was very friendly and deserves a special praise.
The 2-bed room was absolutely micro size, the space outside of the beds gave little room for anything. But you get what you pay for, a decent night's sleep for little money 200+ including breakfast. The full "plastic" breakfast was included, but we really do not like it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I booked this hotel as it was the cheapest I could find in central Manhatten but I was concerned about some of the bad reviews I read including bedbugs, rude staff etc. I travelled alone for a city break so wanted somewhere fairly central.
When I arrived late one evening the staff were very pleasant and welcoming and checked me into a room on the 9th floor. When I got to the room it was tiny! It had a double bed, nightstand and some drawers with literally inches between them all. I couldn't lay my suitcase on the floor to open it. The window was tiny and I faced a wall – no view. I was tired from a long flight so showered and went to bed. In the morning I asked if I could be moved to a room at the front of the hotel as I was here for a week and I wasn’t going to be happy in a shoe box with no view. It wasn’t a problem at all, the moved me to a room on the 8th floor (801) which had ample floor space and 2 sets of windows with views of the pretty street below and the city skyline. The bed was comfortable and clean, great A/C unit, tv, free safe with its own key, etc. If I had any criticism it would be the tiny bathroom – but it was clean and did the job. Every day my room was made up and cleaned and new towels left.
Whenever I encountered any staff from reception to cleaners to handymen they all greeted me warmly and were helpful and polite.
The location of the hotel is fantastic! On a lovely small quiet street of brownstone houses, with central park literally a few feet in one direction and some great stores/restaurants a few feet the other direction. The subway is one block away and cabs are easy to pick up on the corner by the park. I felt safe walking round the area at night as a lone female.
I only once went to the breakfast room and it was tiny with an average selection of toast, coffee, fruit etc. Most days I walked to the corner to the café’s in the area or found a starbucks. But if you wanted the free breakfast I’m sure it would suffice.
Its not the poshest, swankiest, most modern hotel in New York but I loved my stay there and so if you are looking for a place for a city break then I recommend it. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a street facing room!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn Central Park West? Share your experiences!