“Comfy bed, not much else” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Astor on the Park

You added Astor on the Park to your Saves list
Astor on the Park
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   465 Central Park West, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #370 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Lismore, Australia
“Comfy bed, not much else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The staff were friendly, great comfy bed but everything else was unremarkable. Tiny room, old tv, no cable, loud bathroom exhaust fan, no fridge or kettle. Spent a fair bit of money catching the subway everywhere because nothing is within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I was excited to stay at the hotel when I booked my room. Once I got to the hotel it was a different story. The staff was very nice, they need to be so you forget about your room. I mean I had never felt so uncomfortable at a hotel in my life. If it wasnt for the quiet location I would be afraid to stay at this place. First off they give a key for room that looks like it's been never replaced in 15 years. Its 2013, that doesn't fly in NYC. Now let's talk about the rooms... Nasty! OLD CARPET, FILTHY WALLS, STAINED CHAIRS AND FURNITURE. I was so turned off that I requested to get my room changed. Went through 3 rooms and they were all the same. The last room was enough. The frame of door was busted and you could use a credit card to open door lock. Honesty it felt like a hotel room from the early 80's...everything was outdated. Shared a balcony with room next to me...the door to balcony didnt lock. So they could have walked right in if they wanted. Just had a very bad vibe to it. I checked out and got a refund with the website I booked through. Maybe 1.5 star hotel on a good day. Location is great, right across the atreet from Central Park... but thats about it. Owners need to gut the place out and remodel.

• Stayed August 2013
oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel is clean and a perfect location to the subway which is about a 20 min ride into times sq. this is a basic hotel but was perfect for our stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. Definitely go to the park west Turkish deli and bakery such good breakfast and coffee and lovely staff. I would recommend this hotel for travellers on a budget. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
world
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

It's a good job there's so much to do in New York as it means spending less time in this hotel room. It's was tiny.. It was loud, with a view of a brick wall.. The air con was loud though it was good.. The bathroom fan was loud.. And the tv.. Well I felt like I was back in the 90s.. It took up half the room..
Saying that.. I strangely kinda liked it.. It had character.. And the decor was green.. My fave colour.. The room was always clean, and made up, housekeeping did the best they could with it..

Our room was on second floor so could easily walk up the flight of steps to it when we eventually returned each day.. the lift seemed to take forever..

Handy to subway and cafes, crepes on Columbus is very good just a couple of blocks away, go there for a good breakfast.

Overall this hotel will suit you if you need somewhere cheap and don't mind travelling back there every night.. I didn't mind it, next time though ill stay somewhere thats more central and has clean windows..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonaire, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Location was very convenient to the subway. Hotel is located across Central Park. There are 2 stores nearby where i was able to get muffins, bagels etc for breakfast. The rooms are tiny, reminded me of hotels in Europe but for what I paid, I'm not complaining. I'd stay here again the next time I visit NY. If you are familiar with the hotels in Europe then you will be satisfied but if not then maybe you need to look elsewhere. I stayed in a 2 single bed room. It was small, the bathroom was small, the a/c was extremely loud but like I had mentioned earlier, the location was great and also the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chomutov, Ustecky Kraj, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've spent in this hotel four days in the very begining of our US road trip. The hotel has great location just across street from Central park and few blocks (3min walk) from subway and about 11minutes walk to the M60 bus (direct shuttle to LaGuardia Airport). Employees are very helpfull and friendly, the room is nothing really fancy but you get for you paid for - the bed was large and clean, A/C was working and the bathroom was (tube with shower) clean (and just a little worn off). We used the hotel just for overnight sleeping but we were very satisfied ... (paid 120$ ex tax for queen size bed). Our room was located on the 7th floor and it seemed like that from the 7th floor is the "new part" of the building.

Room Tip: Rooms starting at 7th floor may be better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

As a solo traveler, I didn't want to pay loads on accommodation. I see a hotel as a place for sleeping, washing and as a base for exploring. This hotel was very ideal for me, simply because it was not in the hustle bustle of the city centre.

With it being next to Central Park, and not in Times Square, I was guaranteed a good nights sleep with no traffic or people noise. The subway was very handy for getting in to the main parts of the city. If you aren't brave enough to get on the subway it was only $13 in a yellow cab.

Only negative I found was that I couldn't work out how to use the shower. I should have asked at the reception but I was content using the bath in all honesty. There was no canteen or bar but they did recommend a cafe on Columbus Avenue called Crepes - which was a fantastic place.

My bedroom was big enough for me and I was quite surprised at how much room I had to be honest. The window view was non existent but it didn't bother me.

Summary
If you want luxury and city centre then avoid, however if you're like me, and want a good night sleep in a safe neighbourhood at reasonable prices, book this place. My top tip is to book via American Airlines website for best value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Astor on the Park? Share your experiences!