“Clean but Average Stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Martinique on Broadway

Save Saved
You added Radisson Martinique on Broadway to your Saves list
Radisson Martinique on Broadway
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   49 West 32nd Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings of 15%
Ranked #208 of 451 hotels in New York City
Hamden, Connecticut
“Clean but Average Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel New years Eve and Day.It is located about 8 blocks from TImes Square which was a conveinient walking distance. There were plenty of shopping and eating venues in the area.The worlds largest Macy's is only two blocks away!! Gramercy Park (which right around the corner) was festively decorated but cold temps kept us from sitting and absorbing the ambiance.
The best thing about the hotel is you definitely know you're in New York when you're there! The lobby was small and bustling. The elevators were slow and very busy. The Front desk personnel was pleasant and very helpful. The Desk Manager, Tim Richards, was extremely helpful and pleasant. We were initially given a room facing the wall of another building when I specifically requested a room on a high floor at the front of the building (mind you I had made my reservations on 1-3-2012- nearly a year before our arrival). Mr. Richards worked his magic and changed us to a room with a view of 32nd Street and the NY skyline. We were also given complimentary drink certificates for the inconvenience.
Compared to other Radissons, the rooms, bar and restaurant were smaller. Service in the baroom was slow.
The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable, but our sleep number remote did not work. Fortunately the setting it was on worked for us. We called to have it serviced but no one ever came. Order extra pillows. The four they provided flattened thoughout the night. There was very minimal storage space for our belongings. The bathroom could have used more counter space for toiletries and it was almost impossible for more than one person to be in there.
One our windows was broken and would not close completely (did I mention it was cold?). Made for two breezy nights.
Overall, our experience with this hotel was average especially considering the inflated hoilday rate we paid for the room.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask at the time you make reservation for a room with an unobstructed view otherwise you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

1,699 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from the 30th Dec-2nd Jan.

Service:When we arrived at the hotel there was an issue with the payment for our booking. The booking was through an agency and the hotel advised they needed take a pre authorisation payment.I advised this was fine and we then find out when we asked the amount that they actually wanted to charge us for last 2 nights, nearly $3000. We spent nearly 4 hours waiting in reception, the hotel refused to let us check in until we paid the full amount, even though I had confirmations to prove the booking had been pre paid. After nearly 2 hours I demanded to see a manager as the front desk didn't even offer us a drink or to use a phone I was told I would need to buy a calling card myself. After consulting with a manager and long negotiations after another 2 hours we finally checked in. The service at the hotel is poor, even after this mistake they still continued to send us bills to our room for the stay! Also, we emailed the hotel twice before our visit to enquire on if they had any higher room categories available and neither me or my friend ever had a reply from them.

Location:
The location is the main good point about this hotel. Literally round the corner and a 30 second walk from the hotel you are at Macys. Times Sq is a little further down and you would need another 10 minutes to walk there but it is in a very handy location.

Food:
Breakfast: IF you eat breakfast in the hotel, make sure you get to the restaurant before 9am, once it reaches 9am the queue goes down the stairs to get a table. The food itself was reasonable, some selection of sausages, bacon, french toast and pancakes. Cold meat section with turkey, ham and cheeses and also a cereal section. The only bad point about having breakfast in the hotel is that there is not enough staff for the customers. You cannot get your own drinks so have to rely on a member of staff to bring out your drinks tea,coffee, orange and even then you can have finished your breakfast and still be waiting. However I would say this is down to the staff being overworked as they were very pleasent.
Dinner: We ate in the restaurant for dinner and I cannot fault the food, the food was lovely. I had a 16oz steak and no complaints.

Room: The room was a reasonable size, we were on the 19th floor, comfortable king size bed, flat screen tv and a desk area. We didn't stay in the room much but the bed was really comfortable. I would suggest the higher the floor the better as you will get a better view.

Overall the hotel was very clean and the room was more than adequate, the only thing that the let this hotel down was the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The location is a little south of the Times Square area but no place is far in NYC.

The hotel lobby is unassuming. The staff is polite and efficient. There is a lobby bar off to the side of the main check in desk.

The rooms are standard and clean. The furnishings are business style with a mini bar fridge and rain water shower head. The rooms are standard NYC size. Typical Raddison amenities for the bathroom and a Keurig coffee machine in the rooms. The internet came as a package.

Depending on the price of the hotel and package when purchased this could be a good hotel option. The rooms were quiet and the sleep was good.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Firstly I want to start off by saying that I am 30 year old woman and this trip was my 30th birthday treat to myself. My friends and I had been saving for this trip of a life for 5 years, and we were not disappointed!!!! In fact we were totally over whelmed by the whole experience.

Prior to booking this hotel we looked at lots of other hotels and some private accommodation, however this hotel was recommend from my friend’s landlord who uses the hotel regularly for business. Due to this we did get an extremely good deal with breakfast included in the room rate which is unusual in NYC hotels.

Hotel Location - The hotel it situated at the top of Koreantown and at the bottom of Herald Square. The hotel looks directly downtown. To the side of the hotel is JCPenny and various other shops. The hotel is 2 streets down from 34th Street where you will find Macys, Victoria Secrets, lots of other great shops and the Empire State Building. The location couldn't have been better! In fact the location was so good we walked everywhere and only used the subway once to get downtown to the Staten Island Ferry and we walked all the way back!

The Hotel in General - The hotel reception area is older fashioned, quite ornate with marble floors and pillars. It has a beautiful staircase up to all floors, however if you are on the 15th floor, like us, you’ll certainly use the lift of which there is 3. The lobbies to the rooms are in need of a bit of a face lift, but generally tastefully decorated and most importantly clean.

The Bedroom - There were 3 girls sharing a twin room (two double beds). This didn’t bother us and with hotels being so expensive it really brought the cost down for us. My only real complaints about the room would be that the bathroom is small, the room really in fact sleeps 4 adults and that would just be a nightmare with the bathroom. There isn’t really enough space to hang up clothes so we were really living out of a suitcase and there was no safety deposit box. To be fair though we didn’t ask for one at reception, however everything was very safe so no issues there.

Apart from that the room was nicely decorated, the beds were extremely comfy, the room was quiet at night and most importantly it was clean. I can also say that the shower was brilliant!

We were hardly in the room really, so living out a case didn’t bother us in the slightest, we literally just slept in it.

The Breakfast - If it’s not included in your room rate its $25, which personally we thought was a little over-priced. The breakfast however was great. Lots of variety from, eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, cereal, fruits, cold meats and breads. There was always plenty for everyone including my friend who was vegetarian.

My only complaint about the breakfast would be the dining room set up. Due to very few waiting staff, which is not their fault, turn over on tables can be very slow. Slow to re-set, slow to clear and slow to bring you things like tea, coffee and juice, however by the time you go up and get what you want to eat the items you asked for were always on your table. The waiting staff are very polite even though they are clearly quite stressed at times.

The Martinique Café/Bar - Due to our flight being delayed we arrived at the hotel around 10pm. We decided to pop into the cafe for a quick bite to eat. We enjoyed a lovely pizza and a few cocktails, and the waiting staff were really helpful with our bags as they could obviously see we were shattered. The food was lovely and no matter when you passed by it morning, noon and night it was always busy with people every day.

KumGangSan Restaurant - On our first night due to us rushing around having been sightseeing all day we decided to eat in KumGangSan, a Korean Restaurant within the hotel before going to see a show. The restaurant was a little quiet when we went in but we were not disappointed with the quality of food it was fantastic and so fresh. They also give you little mcomplimentary dishes to eat while you wait for your meal. The service was first class and the price of the food was reasonable too. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you like Asian food.

The General Service - Prior to our departure we consulted with the concierge on when the best time was to leave for catching our flight at JFK. The concierge were so helpful, they took our bags into a safe room, advised us on what time we should leave, giving us plenty of time to avoid rush hour and they even booked a private taxi for us which cost less than a yellow cab on the way there.

The service from the hotel could not be faulted in any way!

This hotel is primarily used for business people and flight attendants such as air hostesses and pilots so the hotel it always really busy, especially in the morning at breakfast.

If everything I have mentioned doesn’t phase you then book this hotel, you really won’t be disappointed, I certainly wasn’t and I would definitely return to this hotel again if I ever get the chance to come back.

Hope you find this helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 15th floor and the lobby was alway quiet. The higher the quieter I think. After all...
Houten, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have stayed several times in this hotel. And there is a big difference in the size of the rooms. Once I had a room at the upper floor with great view and amazing bed. But usually I get a small but always clean room. The rooms are not soundproof, but that is hard to find in the historic building hotels in Manhattan. But never comprimise with a connecting door, no ear plugs will help you at a room like that. Breakfast a la carte is good, the coffee a bit dissapointing. But outside the hotel there are many good coffee options. And it is right in Korea Town, so many nice priced quality restaurants. But a big plus is the subway station right next to the hotel, love it. Also love the fact that the hotel is used by airline crews, I think that it gives the hotel its international feeling.

Room Tip: stay away from elevators, and connecting doors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kloten, Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a frequent traveller for a Multi National Corporation and happy owner of a mobile phone, I usually avoid using phones in hotel rooms. But out of an emergency (family member in hospital) I had to do so shortly before Xmas 2012 when staying at the Radisson Martinique in New York. I was expecting this call to be expensive, but what I then found on my bill the next morning before checking out was just ridiculous... USD 360 for a ten minutes call with a very poor line where I could hardly understand what the other person was saying over the phone... when complaining at the front desk and the manager in charge, I was offer a very generous 50% discount... Radisson never again...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TaraWilliams, Manager at Radisson Martinique on Broadway, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Greeting from New York City,

I’m so sorry to hear of your sick family member. Please accept our heartfelt well wishes.

We often recommend guests use pre-paid international phone cards to minimize long distance costs. However, I understand your need to make an emergency call from your room. While all international phone rates are based upon our call provider, I was glad to hear our Front Office Manager worked to assist with this unexpected charge. We have also launched an investigation into the clarity of our international land lines.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your personal experience.

Warm regards,
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Radisson Martinique on Broad in New York City was a very nice experience. The staff at the hotel were all extremely courteous and helpful. The room, although not terribly large, was very comfortable. The location of the hotel was exceptional - right in the heart of Broadway. It was a very short walk to the metro in the event that you wanted to be whisked to another side of town. Good restaurants in the area abounded. A nice little place for breakfast and lunch with a great view was located diagonally right outside the hotel --- although I can't remember the name of it. It was a very worthwhile experience to stay at this stately hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Radisson Martinique on Broadway? Share your experiences!