“Very disappointing, more like a 3* minus” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 15%
Ranked #199 of 464 Hotels in New York City
London
“Very disappointing, more like a 3* minus”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was staying in this hotel partly on business and partly on pleasure for 5 nights. The rooms are comfortable however there are limited amenities. The coffee machine was squeezed into the already very small bathroom, as opposed to being placed in the room. No minibar either for those who like the convenience of that. Beds were fantastic though.

The main issues letting this hotel down: reception area, service, concierge and house keeping.

What let this hotel down in a big way was the reception area which is not nice and also packed with airline staff and their luggage at all times. We could not move in the reception area, and definitely not sit and relax here. It was more a question of getting in/out of the hotel quickly.

Front desk was manned by 2 people only so there were always queues and the staff were not particular helpful. Front desk manager sits in the back room and does not help when it is very busy, which is surprising. When asked why there was a 15 minute waiting time to be helped at reception the staff said that they were understaffed (and that was the end of it). So basically the clients' problem rather than the hotels.

The concierge was on holiday when we stayed and the hotel didn't have a backup other than a woman in the gift shop who was never there when we wanted assistance, so basically nobody to help us with anything relating to restaurants etc. We were amazed by the bad service and the fact that the guests are left to their own devices if the concierge is on holiday or away ill (in a 4* hotel).

House keeping - did not clean our room one day as we left the room in the afternoon, which was apparently too late. Nobody walks through the hotel and checks if/when people have left the rooms and taken the do not disturb off the door. Again surprising for a 4* hotel.

Radissons in Europe are much better than this and we were very surprised by how basic and bad this hotel was. I would not recommend staying here if you want a nice, cosy, sociable stay in NY.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Martinique on Broadway, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Ketton, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Martinique is located close to subway stations and just down the road from Macy's making a very convenient place to stay. Check-in was slow but polite and friendly. Our room was on the small side but perfectly adequate and comfortable. Some outside noise but nothing our earplugs couldn't handle. Housekeeping was disappointing, twice we had to chase to have our room made up before 5.00pm having left the hotel at around 9.00am. On the first occasion, we had failed to put the sign on the door and that was the excuse. The second time, we had put the sign on the door and so the lady on Reception said that would n't work because the maids can't read English and they'll think the sign says "Do not disturb". The Concierge was helpful and friendly. The lobby area tended to be crowded out with arriving and departing airline crews whose bags and personnel swamped the place. The hotel is clearly on the airline list - we saw at least six different airlines represented there - and seems more inclined that way than to tourist stopovers. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our stay and would consider returning.

Rhinebeck, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I am so close to marking this as terrible instead of poor, and if it hadn't been for the staff being warm and welcoming when I arrived and the price point it would have gotten a terrible mark and frankly, the price point isn't winning any real favor here either, as I would have been better off just buying a bus pass and sleeping on a Port Authority bus, as I would have at least than been able to sleep.

I arrived around 6:30 pm so there was no real wait to check in and the staff who handled me had been quick and courteous but that is where the pleasantry ended.

The rooms completely lack of any decor what so ever. Plain, barren, and very sterile. Not even one print on the walls to distract ones mind from the plainess of it all. I have seen truck stops with more personality and panache.

I found the room to be a little chilly so I turned up the heat a degree or two, and then it was too hot and stuffy, it was almost as though you could not get it to regulate correctly at all. I tried to open the window in hopes that I could maybe even it all out, but with no luck, they can't even be opened a centimeter as there is a rubber stopper screwed in right above the window lever, it made it nearly impossible to ever get comfortable in the room.... and if they had at least provided proper blankets, the room being quite chilly would have at least then been manageable as I could have snuggled underneath the blanket, but the blanket provided was thin and about as useful as a sheet or two so I was left to either shiver all night or to be so hot that it felt as though I had a weight on my chest.

When I finally decided to try to get some sleep I found the bed to be horrible and similar to trying to sleep on a hardwood floor, and found after trying to lay down for 10 minutes that my back was actually in quite a bit of pain, then add into the fact that the hotel had placed me on the 3rd floor, facing Herald Square, and it became impossible to sleep with the temperature issues, the street noise and the horrible bed, I would have seriously been better off taking a piece of cardboard and sleeping on the street and would have saved myself the money I spent to stay here.

I literally NEVER fell asleep while there, which proved to be quite a dangerous situation for me later in the day while I was driving.... but I will get to that in a moment, as I want to talk about the hallways and something strange that resembled a crime scene which I suspect may have been a bed bug situation.

The minute I got off the elevator on my floor, a rush of cold air hits you, it was literally so cold that you had to keep a coat on or be forced to shiver down the entire hallway..... while walking down the hallway, shivering, I happened to notice that room 308 had big notes on it, and all sorts of things in front of the door, it quite frankly almost looked like a crime scene, and I read the big bold note on the door that stated "No unauthorized persons. Upon entry be prepared to show hotel identification for access." My first thoughts we and are that they had quarantined the room off so dramatically due to a bed bug infestation..... and sadly took note that later on in the day it appeared as though they may have checked a guest into the room..... :(

I have to say, I was so happy to check out of this hotel and leave, which brings up another point, every other hotel in NYC has a check out of noon. It's pretty standard. Not here. Check out was at 11am.... oh, and those muffins and breakfast they offer, I couldn't find it for the life of me, no signs up anywhere and the staff was too busy to ask as they were floored with helping other guest...... but when I did finally leave, I was happy to leave, but so incredibly exhausted from never being able to even get 5 minutes of sleep due to the above mentioned situations..... and unfortunately from my total inability to be able to fall asleep, while I drove home I fell asleep at the wheel of my vehicle. I am so fortunate that I was not in a serious accident or killed, but I literally had to pull over at a rest stop to take a brief nap, which I believe says it all..... I was able to sleep in a rest stop area, with light streaming into my vehicle and noise, but my experience at the Radisson had been so horrible that I couldn't sleep there which they charged me to do!!!!! Completely horrific! If you value your money, and your rest, go someplace else.....

Room Tip: Demand for a room on a higher level or the noise from Herald Square will keep you up all night!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate your comments.
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in an executive room on the 17th floor. We arrived early around 230pm we were checked in by a lovely lady Gloria, this only took a few minutes. Our room was on the inside of the building so no view but we had requested a quiet room. The room itself was large and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent large selection of items hot and cold.

My parents arrived a few days later to stay unfortunately the travel company cancelled their reservation this was nothing to do with the hotel/staff. The reception staff were extremely helpful and the issue was sorted out after we phoned the uk. My parents were upgraded free of charge due to the issue. Nice touch as it wasn't the hotels fault.

The location of the hotel is ideal we flew into JFK got on the air train that goes around JFK off at Jamaica station, downstairs to the long island railroad off at penn station 5 minute walk to the hotel. 45 minutes in total. The subway is just out side the hotel line R will take you ground zero,century 21 as well.

Plenty o places around the hotel to eat we went to oreillys on 35th street, best steak ever! Five minutes from the hotel.

Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We recently stayed two nights at this property and had a great experience. It was built by the same person who built other landmark NYC hotels like the Waldorf Astoria and the Park Plaza. I had looked at it online a month ago and found the prices too high, but then checked the day before our trip and found a great special at half price! The best surprise was how large our room was. It even had a small fold out sofa. And the bathroom was quite large as well. After staying in some pricier NYC hotels where the rooms were tiny, this was a real treat. The room was clean and quiet. The sleep number bed was comfortable. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Of course the location is central and very convenient to subway, buses, Penn Station and Grand Central Station.

High speed wi-fi is available for a fee if you want to stream music or videos, but they also offer free lower speed wi-fi which is perfect for surfing the net and checking email.

We had dinner in a new restaurant off their lobby -- Petit Poulet. It's just been open for a few weeks, and is a small French bistro. The food was excellent, and moderately priced.

This was a terrific value for the price we paid, although at full price, it's still more than we like to spend. Only minor negatives for us were the lack of a refrigerator (available for a fee) and a somewhat limited choice of TV channels.

Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

So much for being a Concierge member.... According to the rules of the program there are no blackout dates at any Radisson globally for a standard room. Not so according to this hotel! Trying to book a room 6 weeks in advance with the utmost of difficulties and kept told rooms are not available but according to their website on the dates selected they are. Would love to know what is going on.....

I have been to this hotel several time and the service, rooms, hospitality has always been top class.

Room Tip: Spa or pool does not exist which is ok for such a location.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TaraWilliams, Manager at Radisson Martinique on Broadway, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Greetings from New York City,

We are deeply sorry you were unable to use your free night vouchers. Each day, we reserve a set number of rooms for such vouchers to be used. Unfortunately, the dates you have requested (the weekend prior to Thanksgiving) is a very busy time and these allotted rooms are sold out. Because of our prime NYC location, dates fill quickly. In fact, many voucher rooms are already sold out for 2013. We welcome the opportunity to work with you to reserve an alternate travel period.

Tara Williams
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times for work. It's location cannot be beaten, it is one block from the Empire State Building, opposite Macy's and only 6 blocks from Times Square. In addition the subway system has the Yellow line station for 34th street literally outside the hotel door, so anywhere in Manhattan and beyond is within easy reach. The hotel has a small area downstairs as a lot of the space has been rented/sold to shops on the ground floor.

The rooms are all different, you can be in what seems like a broom cupboard, and other rooms are huge. The bathrooms are always very small and often hard to enter as the door takes up most of the bathroom. The showers are great and amenities very good. The staff are very helpful and can answer any needs.

Location in NYC is very important so I would say this is a great place to stay, it's so central and easy to get anywhere...

Room Tip: Rooms from ending in 01-12 are usually bigger and at the front of the hotel facing the street which...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Radisson Martinique on Broadway? Share your experiences!