Everything is relative and this must always be kept in mind when visiting NYC. I originally hail from the great boro of Brooklyn so I have seen a wide range of accommodations over the last 30 years.
Things I liked:
1. This hotel is perfectly located.
I came to the city for a law conference. Mid town (35th and 6th ave.) is not too far from anything you wish to see as a tourist, theater goer, or shopper.
2. The staff is remarkable.
In particular, Dana, a nice young woman helped me with printing my boarding pass and the heat in my room. Everyone from the bell hops to the breakfast staff appeared focus on customer service.
3. The size of the room.
For Manhattan, at this price point ($250), the room size is "huge." Seriously, I have paid mush more and was practically renting a closet so on relative value this was very good value.
4. The thoughtful Room Appointments.
Multiple outlet charging areas on the business desk, ipod clock radio, Keurig coffee maker, plenty of lights, high end toiletries, absorbent bath towels, nice linens, and the "Piece de la resistance" ,,, drumroll please,,, a marble waterfall glass shower, yes that alone may sell me!
5. Roof top/Penthouse deck.
Garden area with flowers, tables, and chairs. Weather permitting this is a nice touch and bonus.
6. Small but well equipped Gym.
I did not get the opportunity to use it but it looked clean and inviting.
1. It can be noisey facing out onto 35th street.
2. The room heat regulation is not the best. I called down twice for repair, they did fix it but it was either too hot or too cold for me. Maybe the thermostat is an issue.
3. Breakfast is bad. The Coffee quality was very good but the rest of what was offered was far worse than a Hampton, Holiday Inn, or Marriott.
This is NYC, you can get a great bagel, muffin, pretzel, or donut at every corner. What they served as morning breakfast was white bread, it was "dreck" so seriously don't bother. These other reviewers must not get out much. For the $250, put out a fresh croissant or a pastry, and then it is classy and beautiful.
All in all, I would definitely stay again, money to money, this is a great value for mid town Manhattan.