“Almost perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 446 hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I have just returned from a four day trip to New York, staying at the Hotel Metro. On arrival we were upgraded to a room with two double beds and I thought this was a good start! Our room was spacious and looked as if it had recently been refurbished, altogether very pleasant. The shower room was very small but smartly decorated and arranged, with a large walk-in shower.
The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much for them. They really made us feel welcome.
My only problem was having difficulty sleeping. Our room faced right on to a huge building under construction, literally only a few metres away. We didn't actually hear all that much noise from it, but it was kept fully lit up all night and, as our blinds had been cut too small for the window, there was bright light shining in all night.
We also had a very loud extractor or vent outside our window which went off all night too, though earplugs solved this a bit.
It was a pity we couldn't sleep better as everything else about the hotel was excellent. I would give this 4 and a half really.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face on to the building site.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

2,348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Arabic first
Mons, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I went to the Hotel Metro one week in January with a friend, it was my second time there and it was even better than the first time.

We arrived earlier than the check-in so we were upgraded because we had to wait for the room. So we had a bigger room with a view on the Empire State Building. It was excellent!

The breakfast included is a real pleasure, big muffins, bagels, bread, cereals, juice, coffee... all that in a great atmosphere.

The room service was excellent too, the bed was huge and the mattress perfect!

The hotel is extremely well located near the Macy's and the Empire State Building, you can't ask for a better location.

The hotel has also a terrace on the roof and it's wonderful! You go there and you see the Empire State Building right in front of you!!! EXCEPTIONAL!

I won't hesitate if I go to New-York another time!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Chiswick London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I loved this hotel!! Great location if you're walking Manhattan also easy for the subway at Herald Square. Pleasant lobby and public areas including Gym and roof terrace...good continental breakfast included in room rate in an informal lounge area. Standard rooms are small but very comfortable... good wardrobe space, ironing board and iron,safe, small empty fridge and ice on tap. Bathroom has v good hair dryer, good selection of toiletries excellent shower and fresh towel's and bed linen daily. V good selection of tv channels including foreign language channels and the excellent BBC America. I would defiantly stay there again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are very quiet...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
cambs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Stayed at the hotel metro for 10 nights over thanksgiving (November). Hotel staff were so lovely and helpful! Breakfast of muffins, cereal, toasts was a great start to the day. Tea and coffee free available all day. The rooms were so spacious and cleaned everyday. Room had a great view of the empire state! :-) Only about a 5 min walk from times square so was perfect and 1 min from Macy's. The roof top terrace was great, although chilly for a November night, but will be great for summer nights. currently planning our trip for the summer, see you soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

This was our third stay at the Hotel Metro. We were celebrating a milestone anniversary and going to the opera. We got a superior queen room - we were very happy with the room size and amenities, at a reasonable price for midtown Manhattan (everything's relative, of course). It's close to several different subway lines, so as previous posters have said, close to theaters, shopping, restaurants in newly hip locations, etc. Staff were helpful and polite. Will definitely return.

The hotel validates and gives a discount for parking at the garage on 35th St, just west of the hotel (i.e., before the hotel going east on 35th, which is one-way).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 36th Street (the "back") - there is some construction going on, but...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I booked this hotel for 3 nights for my fiancés 30th birthday through ba.com 1 week before departure and got a great deal - especially as the hotel is central and the price included breakfast. I emailed ahead of our trip to inform them that we would be celebrating a big birthday requesting a room upgrade if possible, nice quiet room and one with a view. I received a quick response telling me that an upgrade would not be possible however they would ensure that there was something in the room for us to celebrate! Having done lots of research, we decided to get public transport from JFK rather than a cab which was super easy - just get on the Airtrain at JFK to Jamaica station and then catch the LIRR to Penn station...the hotel is 5 minutes walk and costs half the price (approx $20 one way for 2 people) of a cab and only takes 45 mins (cab ride can be anything up to 1hr 30). If I went again and there was more than 2 of us then I would get a cab as it would then work out as fairly similar in price.
We arrived to the hotel at 1pm and were allowed to check in early, it turned out we were given an upgrade to a premier room, had a view of the Empire State Building and there was a box of chocs. We were on floor 12 which was one of the refurbished floors - bathroom was very modern and it was kept extremely clean - there were tea and coffee facilities in the room. We basically got everything I asked for in my email although it was rather noisy as the room was on the street - take some ear plugs just in case! You have to expect noise in NYC so this didn't bother us but request a back room if you think this will be a problem. Make sure you take advantage of the free tea/coffee and take a cup up to the rooftop to get an amazing view of the Empire State Building at night. Breakfast was brilliant - something for everyone - tea/coffee, juices, bagels, cream cheese, toast, jams, pastries, yoghurts, fruit, cereal - not sure what people are referring to when they say that there isn't very much to choose from. Hotel is in perfect location with Macy's at one end of the street, 5th Avenue at the other and the Empire State Building just across the road.
We packed a lot in over 3 1/2 days and literally walked everywhere! It is so simple and only on 3 occasions did we get a cab and that was just because our feet hurt so much. Our itinerary looked a bit like this: day 1 afternoon - World Trade Centre, Staten Island ferry to get a view of Statue of liberty, and then halfway across Brooklyn Bridge to look at Manhatten skyline in the dark. Day 2 - walk to UN building, Grand Central Station, Times Square & Top of the Rock. Day 3 - 5th & Madison Avenue, Central Park. Day 4: Greenwich Village and then enough time to go back to Times Square/5th & Madison Avenue.
It was so tiring and I do feel that I need another holiday to recover but I am so glad that we got to see everything that we wanted to. A trip to NYC can be as cheap/expensive as you want it to be, especially when it comes to food. I would strongly advise that you think twice about eating out as it was extremely expensive and we were not at all impressed with the quality of food - if you want a good pizza then Lombardi's in Little Italy was lovely. Drinks are very expensive - $8 for a small bottle of beer/glass of wine. Also when it comes to sight seeing, you don't have to spend a lot of money either - we only paid $50 for the 2 of us for Top of the Rock and I would definitely recommend this over the Empire State Building as you actually get to see the Empire State Building and also Central Park. Make sure you book a time slot so that you are up there when the sun sets as you then get the best of both worlds! Visitor passes to the World Trade Centre were free and so is the Staten Island Ferry - I think when (!) we go back, I would pay the money to do the Liberty/Ellis island tour.
One final tip - if you are getting a cab then make sure the traffic is flowing in the direction that you want to travel otherwise you can spend $5-10 just sat in a cab whilst it goes round the block and turns round. Walk if you can though - it's the best way to see the City.

Room Tip: Inform hotel ahead of time if you will be celebrating a special occasion Do top of the Rock over ES...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel metro for one week at the end of jan. it was a break my husband bought me for my wedding present and my birthday and we had a fantastic week!!
The hotel is in a brilliant location to get to pretty much any part of manhattan. Ideal for theatre goers and shoppers! Macy's is right at the end of the street, theatre district a 10 min walk and the great 5th ave shops 20mins from your doorstep. We spent the first 2 days walking absolutely everywhere and then, when exhausted, we discovered the subway - so easy, cheap and reliable we were glad we took the plunge!
Our room was on the fourth floor at the back of the hotel and I have to say was much quieter than I'd anticipated. There was very little, if any noise from other guests and we heard very little traffic noise too it certainly didn't disturb us- brilliant given that you're between 5th and 6th ave!
The room was reasonably sized (good by NYC standards I believe) with a lovely comfy big bed, built in wardrobe and a tv cabinet with drawers. There's a Handy fridge if you want to store drinks/food and a safety deposit box that was easy to work out!
The bathroom was small, clean and functional, we didn't want for anything extra.
The breakfasts have been mentioned elsewhere, but essentially you can have as little or much as you like. My husband loved the bagels , i thought it was nice to have the option of Fresh fruit too - its too easy to overeat in NYC. Nice also that the coffee and tea is available at all times although my only suggestion would be to offer juice too. We found ourselves buying cold drinks to take back to the room a lot, and as hot drinks facilities aren't in the room it can be a little annoying having to go downstairs but really no big deal.
Overall our stay at the metro was lovely. Staff are very helpful, polite and friendly and rooms give everything you need after a long day sightseeing (or shopping!!). If we were to return to NYC id definitely consider another stay in the metro.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Hotel Metro? Share your experiences!