“Comfortable in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

You added Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 East 40th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #246 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Lansing, Michigan
“Comfortable in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My family of 4 stayed for 4 nights this week. The location was great. It was 2 blocks from 42/Bryant park subway station. Right across the street from the New York Public Library and Beautiful Bryant Park. Many food and shopping choices are nearby.
My only complaint is the actual size of the rooms. I have stayed in several hotels in the city and have had larger rooms than this. This hotel would be more adequate for a couple than a family.
The service was good from the front desk staff.

Room Tip: Great for a couple or business travelers. Families may try another hotel with larger rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Courtyard5thAve, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for providing us with your feedback! I apologize that the size of the guest room did not suit your family. Some of our rooms are smaller than others - if you find yourself booking at our hotel again, a king suite has an additional living room space that might be better for a family. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay besides that! We would love to have you here as our guests next time you're in NYC! Thanks again - Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Having been to New York quite a bit for business, I was getting tired of navigating through the crowds just to get to and from my hotel. I felt like a local staying here, the room was so quiet and I didn't hear sirens or taxis honking every few minutes. My view consisted of the back of a few buildings, so I would guess a tourist who is staying here for the view may not like it. But I was here for business and just wanted a comfortable environment. The room was very clean, the lobby is small (the way I like things) and the wifi was free. I did have a problem connecting my iTouch to it though, so that is one criticism.

The hotel is close to Bryant Park and the NY Public Library. Times Square is maybe 4 blocks away as is Rockefeller center (don't quote me on this, just an estimate). There is a deli next door, which was super convenient, since I was too busy to sit through a formal dinner and wanted something fresher to eat. I believe there is a McDonalds and a 99 cent store on the same block as well.

Check-in and check-out were effortless and service was great. I would stay here again the next time I am in New York. I was only there one night, so did not use any exercise facilties, etc. The rooms are a bit smaller than the Hilton Times Square and Westin Times Square, but not at all claustrophobic. I appreciated that there were only about 4 rooms per floor, this made it easier to not forget my room and made the walk shorter.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for leaving such a nice, detailed review! I am happy to hear that we were able to make your business trip so enjoyable and comfortable. We would love to have you as our guests during your next trip to NYC! - Julie
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend in the city for our 35th anniversary. The staff at this hotel was very accommodating from the General Manager Justin Scarpa to the housekeeping staff. Everyone was professional and helpful when we needed directions or dining recommendations. The only negative comment we have is that we could hear the people in the next room and in the hallway. Although there are only a few rooms per floor, it appears that there is not enough sound insulation in the walls. The room was clean and very sunny. The size of the room seemed typical for a NYC hotel room (smaller than in other cities). We normally stay at the Marriott closer to Times Square and the Theater district, but decided to try this one instead. We had a wonderful experience and will definitely stay there in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms farther away from the elevator may be quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your feedback! I am sorry you found your room to be noisy! Our floors are set up with only a small number of rooms on each so I apologize this impacted your stay. I am very pleased that the rest of your time at our hotel was enjoyable. Thank you for staying with us! - Julie
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The Courtyard Marriott was perfect for our stay in NYC, lovely helpful and friendly staff and great central position. The room was great, average size for NYC but nicely appointed, clean and very comfortable. Free Wifi and Coffee maker in the room is always a bonus and a coffee station on the second level for extra tea and coffee should you require it,  along with a business centre and gym is nice. We would definitely recommend this hotel for absolute value and service. Just a quick note we did stop in at the down stairs restaurant/bar Salmon River on our way home for a quick night cap and we received the rudest service I've ever received, easily fixed though just didn't go back! For me it is No reflection on the Courtyard Marriott, they were fantastic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so happy to hear that you had such a nice stay at our hotel! We would love to have you back upon your next trip to NYC! Salmon River is not owned or operated by Courtyard by Marriott, we simply share an address - I will be sure to pass your feedback on to their management. I apologize you received such poor service! Thank you for your feedback! - Julie
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel was like an oasis in the city. The rooms were a bit small but well appointed. The bedding and bed were very comfortable. The room was very quiet and we could not hear much street noise, which was great in NYC. The location is perfect for sightseeing. There are several eating establishments nearby -including Chipotle amd McDonalds for casual dining. I would recommend this hotel and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to provide this great response from your stay! I am very pleased you found our hotel so enjoyable. Our new bedding, mattresses and renovated rooms have received wonderful reviews so far! Thank you again! - Julie
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have just had an amazing stay at the Courtyard Marriott. Great location close to all the attractions. Maid service every day, really clean. Reception staff really helpful and friendly. To top off the holiday we asked the consierge Frank to book us a taxi to the airport. He said he had arranged us a taxi and when it came to collect us he had booked a limo at no extra cost, fantastic! Thanks for a great holiday.

Room Tip: We asked for high room but unfortunately only got 10th floor with no view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wow - what a great response! I will be sure to let Frank know you were so pleased with his help. I am sorry to hear you didn't receive a high floor room. We try our very best to accommodate each guest's requests so I apologize that we were unable to meet your request. Please feel free to contact me personally should you find yourself returning to our hotel! Thank you - Julie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was very great in terms of service, cleanliness, and the rooms!! The people at the front desk were very welcoming and provided us with a lot of great advice about where to eat and go. The rooms were a little small, but that was okay because we were rarely in it since we were doing a lot of sightseeing! The location was great! It was very close to Bryant park and grand central station. It is also in walking distance of the theater district and Times Square which was very convenient. The rooms were very clean as well. The first two nights here we were on the 3rd floor, but we really wanted to be higher up. The 3rd morning, the clerk was able to move us to the 29th floor and the view was spectacular! The staff was very nice in the way they handled our wish to move floors. Overall this was a great stay and we would definitely stay here again!! It was close to everything, but just out of the crazy crowds!!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for your fantastic feedback! Our staff works diligently to keep this hotel sparkling clean so I will be sure to pass your comments on to our housekeeping and engineering staff members. Thank you again and we hope you have a wonderful summer! - Julie

Been to Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!