“Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

You added Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 East 40th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
AAA Rates
Ranked #189 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Manassas, Virginia
“Convenient Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

High price for a small room, but this is Manhattan and that was to be expected. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The staff was very gracious and accommodating. I always received a helpful answer or suggestion to every inquiry. Prior to my arrival I received an email from the general manager containing useful suggestions and information on the area(s) nearby the hotel. After my stay I received a follow-up email also. The location was convenient to Times Square, Grand Central and many other attractions. Never had a long wait for an elevator even though we had a high floor room. This has been problematic in many other hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Courtyard5thAve, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a precise review of our hotel! Clean, comfortable, accommodating and convenient are all descriptors we are happy to hear. I am happy you found Justin's emails helpful as well! We hope to see you upon your next trip to NYC! - Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Rochester Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I am a business traveler and stay here about once a month because it is near the client I see in NYC. Otherwise, I would not stay here. The rooms are very tiny, old, very tired furniture and draperies, tiny bathrooms, slow internet, thin walls, (noisy), etc. Last week I was upgraded to a suite, so that was the equivalent of 2 rooms, but not very impressive. I noticed that the door to an adjoining room was not locked, so tried to lock it and found it broken. Fortunately, although it was 9 pm on Sunday, the front desk sent an engineer right up and he fixed it. An hour later, the heater wasn't working and he came up again right away and said the sensor was malfunctioning. Lucky for me, I like to sleep in the cold, so I just asked him to turn it off, which he did. I have been here often when one of the two elevators was out of order and there is a really LONG wait. I also have been there when both elevators were out and walked up and down from floors in the 20s. Long walk when you have to take your luggage and check out. I was not offered any compensation or assistance when the elevators were broken. I am a 50-something female, so ugh is all I could say. This Courtyard has no restaurant, but there is a deli next door and a restaurant on the other side with a bar that has an entrance directly into the Courtyard, but again, they are not associated. I very much like the Bellman -- he has always been very helpful handling my luggage, storing it for me, and arranging taxis or limos to the airport. Front Desk staff is also very polite and professional. But otherwise, this is quite a down-market Courtyard. More like a Days Inn, I would say.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your frequent stays with us! While I am disappointed to see that you are not thrilled with your experiences here, I thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback. If you wouldn't mind, I would love a chance to speak with you personally about your impressions of the hotel, especially coming from a repeat and frequent guest. My email address is julie.v.kennedy@marriott.com and I look forward to hearing from you! Best - Julie
Middletown, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to Grand Central Station. It's only about a five minute walk away. From the time we walked into the hotel (around 10:30 in the morning) we were nothing but pleased and amazed at the level of service. First of all, our rooms (we booked two) were ready and we were able to get the keys! Availability at that hour shows that the hotel has a fully staffed housekeeping department. The front desk staff actually remembered me when we came back downstairs to ask a question. This is a great location in midtown. There were cabs always waiting outside. There's a great deli right next door for breakfast and restaurants are basically everywhere. We stayed in a room with two double beds which had lots of room and closet space. I just wished we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Your review is precisely what we strive for!! Thank you for taking the time to recognize our staff's efforts and attention to detail. I am pleased to see that our goal to provide personalized and hospitable service was achieved during your stay. I hope you enjoyed your time in NYC and we can't wait to see you again! - Julie
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. Its not overly fancy but its a good price for where it is at and the rooms are a pretty good size for NYC. The staff was friendly. Hotel does not provide breakfast like more Courtyards do.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking moment to review your stay with us! It is true that we do not provide breakfast but with the many, many nearby delis and restaurants, I hope you found something to start your days! We also have a restaurant, Salmon River, that shares an address with our hotel, and they do offer a continental breakfast option. I am very pleased that you found our accommodations to fit your needs and I hope you choose our hotel for your next trip to the city! Best - Julie
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Close to Bryant Park and walking distance to all the theaters. Easy access to restaurants as well. 4 nights with no issues. Room was clean and the service was friendly. Very good experience. Fairly easy transit to convention center as well (business trip).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the respond so positively after your stay at our hotel. Your feedback is precisely what we strive for. We look forward to seeing you during your next trip to NYC! - Julie
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by great staff who were happy to help with an early check in. After a long flight and a tired child we all needed to freshen up and the hotel were happy to oblige even though check in wasn't officially until 3pm. Our room wasn't huge but totally adequate for 2 adults and a child.
The concierge was on hand to answer any questions and provide us with helpful hints and suggestions. The hotel is perfectly located across from the New York public library and Bryant Park. It's location means that you are in walking distance to all the major attractions within the 5th Avenue area of Manhattan. After staying here in 2011 for the first time we have since returned and will be returning once again in April to celebrate my mum's 65th birthday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Courtyard5thAve, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
First and foremost, happy birthday to your mum! I am delighted to hear you've returned to our hotel after staying here a few years ago. Our staff will be happy to know they left a positive and lasting impression upon you. Thank you for your review and we look forward to hosting you for your next trip to New York! Best - Julie
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

If you are traveling with a group please keep in mind this hotel has NO waiting area. So if you have to check out at 11:00 or 12:00 but aren't leaving until 4:00 there is no waiting area or sitting area. The other drawback in this electronic age is that there was an insufficient number of outlets to charge electronic devices. Two of them are in the desk lamp, and ours did not work. Other than that, we had four. If you don't need to charge lots of things, it should not be a problem for you. Otherwise, bring an extension chord. No dining in the hotel, either, but a restaurant next door. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the service was really quite good. The toilet kept running incessantly but a repair man came right away to fix it. The bag carriers were EXCELLENT. We ordered a car to take us back to the train station and our bag handler saw we were with teenagers and convinced a stretch limo driver to take us back for the price we paid for a large SUV. Very helpful personnel. Hotel is in a nice neighborhood that is quiet with a convenient deli right next door and many dining options close by. Just arrange your time carefully if you need public space because this hotel has none. Location is about a ten-fifteen minute walk to Times Square or Rockefeller Center (different directions) but convenient to 5th Avenue shopping and right next to Bryant Park and the NY Public Library. Also very close to the beautiful Grand Central Station.

Room Tip: Bring an extension chord if there are more than two of you with electronic devices in the room. Plan...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Courtyard5thAve, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for providing such a nicely detailed review from your stay at our hotel! It is true that our lobby is smaller than many standard hotels; however, we hope the location and service make up for this difference! I'm very happy our staff made such a positive impression and I will certainly pass along your kind feedback. Thank you for staying with us! - Julie

Been to Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue? Share your experiences!