“Good Location/Small Rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Evelyn

You added The Evelyn to your Saves list
The Evelyn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 East 27th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly The Gershwin Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #297 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta
“Good Location/Small Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The Evelyn Hotel has a great location. The lobby is dark, the room small, but extremely functional, high floor has good sound proofing, plenty of hot water for the shower,2 new Apple computers with a printer,great help and very accommodating. The one real drawback was that only 1 elevator was working while a new one was being added. Certain times of the day had us waiting long time for the 1 elevator.

Room Tip: Request room on high floor
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed at their Everlyn for around 5 days, it was just an ok stay. Not a great hotel for business travellers, WI-FI was intermittant, lobby was rubbish to meet up in, no bar or even a cafe. The staff were great and it does seem they are building something new to the hotel, restaurant maybe. The location was great if your spending time in flat iron. Strange store on the corner called museum of sex. The decor was a bit dated and the rooms felt like something out of an old horror movie.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
TheEvelynManagement, Front Office Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this review, yesterday
Good Day,
Thank you for acknowledging our great staff and affirming that our location is great. You are correct, we are building something new. We are in the midst of the transformation of The Evelyn. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with regards to your stay. Please rest assured that the end result will include an exquisite restaurant with all the first class services associated with it. We hope to have the luxury to welcome you back so you can experience all the phenomenal upgrades.

Sincerest Regards
Leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Hotel was lovely, but they took payment a day in advance of my arrival ($1300), which was fine, although the booking confirmation said "one night will be charged at least 3 days in advance of arrival". I therefore did not feel the need to check my account. When I arrived to check-in they took my card and charged $1300 for what I thought this was cost of the room. Only after I had checked out and looked at my bank balance did I realise they had charged $1300 before my arrival and another $1300 on arrival. When I phoned to query this, the receptionist was off-hand and explained they charge the cost twice as insurance for damages (!), and the money would be returned to my account within 10 days. During which time, I was on holiday in the USA, with $1300 waiting to be returned to me. Disgraceful policy and it should be made clear to customers that this is their practice.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good Day,

Thank you for acknowledging that The Evelyn is a lovely. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with regards to your stay. Please rest assured that it is never our policy to charge twice. Please contact me directly to discuss this isolated experience. I can be reached at eboamah@theevelyn.com

Sincerest Regards
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Hotel is under remodeling, only one elevator, long quehues, lots of people arround. Suite is large to be in Manhattan, but I'll probably try another hotel un my next stay in NYC. Not all the staff is kind, they not seem to be too interested in the guest experience.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
TheEvelynManagement, Front Office Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Good day,

We truly appreciate your acknowledgement of the large space in our suits. We are still in the midst of the transformation of the Evelyn. Your comments are vital to us; it guides and aids us on the conduit to perfection. Thank you for all your comments and a grand welcoming awaits you each and every time you stay at the Evelyn.

Kind Regards

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Evelyn with some friends over a long weekend in early May. The hotel appeared still under renovation in the lobby area and the exterior but the rooms are totally updated, with a nice vintage décor, beautiful Frette bed linens and a small but neat bathroom. Apart from the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff, I found that the location is the best prerogative of this hotel: in a quite street if midtown, convenient to both the upper part of Manhattan and the (for me more interesting) areas of Chelsea, Meatpacking, Soho and the West and East villages. We walked to the High line in 15 minutes and the Union Square farmer's market on Saturday in less than 10 minutes. This hotel is also one block away from Eataly, which adds literally the icing on the cake (I highly recommend the cappuccino and croissant there for breakfast and the pizza for dinner)!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a quaint little hotel with a very noticeable 1920s vibe to it. The location is excellent, very close to a lot of the sights and also to the subway.

The hotel has undergone renovations and some are still in progress, but they didn't affect our visit at all. On the contrary, I found the hotel pretty quiet. Not as much noise from the street as you would suspect with that location, and even though you could hear sounds from outside the room, it was nothing that disturbed us.

We couldn't really make much out of the outside, since it was covered due to work being done.

Coming in, you arrive into a lobby that is dark and does not look at all like the pictures on the hotel's website. Like someone else said, the furniture looks put together randomly, but if you are into that kind of thing (like I am) then it's pretty charming!

There is one escalator and it feels like it's from the 1920s too... It makes a little jump every time it stops, but it worked excellently and because of the size of the hotel, we really didn't have to wait for a long time at any time we wanted to use it.

Our room was one with two double beds and I would advise against picking this room if you are more than 2 adults. There was two of us sleeping in one bed and it was pretty crowded. I still slept like a rock, but my sleeping companion complained about the mattress. I guess it's a matter of taste.

The room itself is SMALL. There was barely room to keep our suitcases, and definitely not opened. The room has a wardrobe with complimentary robes (nice), a safe and hangers and a shelf. We used the TV once and it seemed to work.

I liked the bathroom a lot. It's modern but has a very time typical feel to it (again 1920s). Lots of toileteries are supplied and LOTS of towels! On the negative side, the shower was a bit complicated to handle, since the water was either boiling hot or ice cold and it took some manouvering to get to a nice temperature. The bathroom is, like the room, very small so there is not much room for your products. Again on the plus side - the lighting is good and there is a power outlet.

Wifi is free and fast!

Something that is worth mentioning is the service mindness of the staff. Everyone we met were very friendly and helpful and gave us lots of good tips.

The hotel doesn't have a restaurant but serves tea and coffee free of charge and in the morning there is free pastries. You'll have no problems finding breakfast places within walking distance. I can especially recommend the Café 28 on 5th Avenue, just around the corner.

All in all, we had a very pleasent stay at the Evelyn, and much because of the people who works there. If you are into old and quirky, you are going to love it here! If you like modern and roomy - pick another hotel!

Room Tip: Don't pick the two double beds room if you are more than 2 adults!
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The hotel is undergoing renovations at present but our smart,newly-refurbished room and en-suite on the seventh floor were clean, comfortable and surprisingly quiet after days on the New York streets. The Evelyn offers a complimentary walking tour which I would thoroughly recommend if new to the area. Our guide not only showed us the local sites but gave us great tips on where to eat and shop and how to get around. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to The Evelyn? Share your experiences!