“Nice but with some issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Evelyn

You added The Evelyn to your Saves list
The Evelyn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 East 27th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly The Gershwin Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #307 of 458 Hotels in New York City
WV
“Nice but with some issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Nice boutique hotel in a decent location (depending of where you spend most of your time). We stayed right before Christmas for a long weekend (family trip). The hotel is located about 6-7 blocks from Penn Station. Hotel staff was excellent. Nice free coffee service in the lobby. About 1 1/2 blocks away from Eataly (a must for dining/shopping) for great Italian fare.

During our stay they were in the process of renovating. We were given a nicely renovated room. The room. The heat was not working and they immediately moved us to another room. Staff was excellent and more than willing to accommodate and help. The next room was just as nice (only lacked the mini-fridge). They allowed us to keep our luggage in the old room until the next day since we had somewhat unpacked and it was late in the evening. Super nice.

Rooms are very nicely decorated and comfortable. Clean hard floors (no dirty carpet) and super comfortable beds. Free internet (spotty) but great perk in NYC. Especially for the rates we paid. (Probably due to renovations but still excellent)

The renovation itself was not a problem as far as noise or construction so much but it did somewhat block the use of the stairwell between the lower floors and the lobby. This was a problem because the only guest-elevator (very small and extremely slow) had to be used since it was not really feasible to use the stairs due to the plastic blocking the stairs and also because the ongoing construction.

The renovations also brought an unexpected problem (mice) from adjacent buildings. Food we had in bags (cookies, pastries, candy) we had in a bag on the table was "visited" by these both nights. We complained and the staff was excellent in responding and explaining. (discounted room as well at the end of stay). The manager called me personally and apologized and explained and offer great rates for our next visit. Excellent service and customer attention. It probably made up for the inconvenience and "issues" because they at least seemed sincere and took care of it.

Depending on where you will be spending most of your trip, this is a nice affordable hotel with good service. Somewhat isolated and the area a bit deserted if you come back at night --walking. When returning to hotel, it may be best to walk to a nearby area (Penn Station or main populated area) and take a taxi from there to hotel rather than walk those last 3-4 blocks (dark and empty streets).

Overall I recommend the hotel if you get a good rate for a nice and quiet stay in a decent location. After all, when in NYC you should spend very little time inside.

Room Tip: Lower rooms may make it easier to use the stairs since elevator is slow and very small (not many peo...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Turkish first
Lyon, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Super centrally located and convenient location. Very friendly and polite staff. Great giant lobby. +++ coffee and pastries in the morning. hot water for tea at night. Rooms are nicely appointed and furnished. - - - single elevator which may be one of the slowest elevators in NYC or the world even. Morning descent was always trying and an exercise in patience and deep breathing. There was a problem with the water heater(s) during my stay during the Siberian freeze in February. No hot water for 3 out of 8 mornings. A shower at a neighboring hotel was offered 2 of those 3 mornings. Things happen but there was no gesture at all for a reduction or a small token for this inconvenience. That was a turn off. Another cardinal sin and hotel peeve ... I had to remove some leftover stray hairs in the bathroom when I first arrived. I also had to wipe out one of the drawers in the closet before I put any clothing in it. Leftover debris/substance. Overall.... I think I could have had a very nice stay.... a few wrinkles stood in the way.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Staff were very friendly , room was very cold and small Not what we booked we requested a lower ground floor as my husband can't go in a lift we got the fifth floor which he had to climb every day with a sore back

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Perth, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Very nice hotel located in a great part of town very close to all the sights of Manhattan.
We stayed in a newly refurbished twin room which was very nice, albeit small. Great shower and bathroom with good quality toiletries.
One small point is that the lift is VERY slow and did cause us some annoyance at times. Luckily some of the hotel's staff recognised this and let us use the service lift (under their supervision). The lift really does need replacing!
No bar or restaurant in the hotel which is a shame although their are some good places located nearby. I recommend Birch Coffee located along the street on the corner of Madisson Ave and 27th Street for a great breakfast and coffee.
Would probably stay here again due to its location.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We chose to stay at the Evelyn because it was close to the venue we were going to. Pleasantly surprised. The room was small but very nice. The beds are so comfortable. Staff was courteous and helpful. During our stay we did not have hot water, which wasnt too much of a problem because we were only there overnight but if our stay was any longer I would've needed hot water. The hotel staff said they were working on the problem and discounted our room.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheEvelynManagement, Front Office Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Good Day,

First and Foremost, thank you for choosing to stay at the Evelyn. Thank you for acknowledging that our staff is helpful and courteous. Contingency planes will be in place that no matter what happens, normal operation of the Evelyn will continue without any interruption. We are confident that on your next visit you will have a perfect stay. I will personally make sure that you have the most enjoyable stay at The Evelyn. I can be reached at eboamah@theevelyn.com

Kind Regards

Front Office Manger
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I stayed at The Evelyn for 6 nights last week and having such a nice room really made my stay in New York more enjoyable. The room was quite small, but since it was only me, it was all I needed. The room was elegantly decorated and it looked exactly like in the photos. There was a theme of the song Manhattan - with the musical notes of the song tiled around the bathroom and a record of the song in a cabinet (though you couldn't play it). I probably would have preferred using the space that the record takes up with a coffee machine or microwave, but that's just me. The room was always warm enough, and when the shower had hot water, it was wonderful.

The lobby was quite retro - dark, but comfy. The staff at the desk and the doormen were always very helpful, and I never had to wait long if I wanted help. The location was great, reasonably close to lots of gluten free restaurants and a 10-15 minute walk up to Herald Square.

A few negatives though:
*On my last night the boiler was undergoing maintanance, so there was no hot water which meant I couldn't shower before flying for 22 hours, however they made it right by removing the cost of that night from my bill at check out which was genuinely appreciated.
*The lift was extremely slow - If I missed the lift leaving the lobby, it could take close to ten minutes before I could get to my floor (the 12th floor).
*The housekeeping rarely got to my room before 4pm. Considering it gets dark just after 5, this was pretty inconvenient. It did force me to explore the city a bit more, bit it would have been nice to have a longer rest before going out for dinner each night. I also found my toothbrush on the floor behind the toilet where it had been knocked of the sink and left which was quite inconsiderate - it's one thing if it had been a hairbrush, but not my toothbrush! Other than that, it was very clean and I never felt like I was sleeping/walking/bathing in someone else's filth!

Room Tip: A room on the lower floor would be easier to get to without having to wait for the lift but the high...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Good Day,

Thank you for the rave review of your six night stay at The Evelyn. Thank you for your elegant description of the bathroom and the room you stayed in. Reading your comments was like reading the setting in the bestselling novel. A job well done with your description of the room you stayed in.
We are currently undergoing the transformation of the Evelyn. Contingency plans will be in place that no matter what happens, normal operation of the Evelyn will not be interrupted. We truly value all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Front Office Manager
Elizabethtown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice CO Bigelow soap products, comfortable bed, and the room smelled fresh and clean. Unfortunately the hot water is tempermental (or non-existant in some rooms) and the lobby is dark and unfinished. Trash pick up is apparently Friday morning at 4:30 am, expect to be woken by the truck and cursing workmen. This hotel has great potential, the price was reasonable, and the location very convieniant. Because of the early morning noise and hot water situation I would only rate this hotel as average.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Good Day,
Thank you for the great comment about our amenities, we are still in the midst of the transformation of the Evelyn. Contingency planes will be in place that no matter what happens, normal operation of the Evelyn will continue without any interruption. We are confident that on your next visit you will consider us to be above average. I will personally make sure that you have the most enjoyable stay at The Evelyn. I can be reached at eboamah@theevelyn.com

Front Office Manger

Sincerest Regards

Been to The Evelyn? Share your experiences!