“comme si comme ça.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Evelyn

You added The Evelyn to your Saves list
The Evelyn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 East 27th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly The Gershwin Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #307 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Lyon, France
“comme si comme ça.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Super centrally located and convenient location. Very friendly and polite staff. Great giant lobby. +++ coffee and pastries in the morning. hot water for tea at night. Rooms are nicely appointed and furnished. - - - single elevator which may be one of the slowest elevators in NYC or the world even. Morning descent was always trying and an exercise in patience and deep breathing. There was a problem with the water heater(s) during my stay during the Siberian freeze in February. No hot water for 3 out of 8 mornings. A shower at a neighboring hotel was offered 2 of those 3 mornings. Things happen but there was no gesture at all for a reduction or a small token for this inconvenience. That was a turn off. Another cardinal sin and hotel peeve ... I had to remove some leftover stray hairs in the bathroom when I first arrived. I also had to wipe out one of the drawers in the closet before I put any clothing in it. Leftover debris/substance. Overall.... I think I could have had a very nice stay.... a few wrinkles stood in the way.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Staff were very friendly , room was very cold and small Not what we booked we requested a lower ground floor as my husband can't go in a lift we got the fifth floor which he had to climb every day with a sore back

Perth, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Very nice hotel located in a great part of town very close to all the sights of Manhattan.
We stayed in a newly refurbished twin room which was very nice, albeit small. Great shower and bathroom with good quality toiletries.
One small point is that the lift is VERY slow and did cause us some annoyance at times. Luckily some of the hotel's staff recognised this and let us use the service lift (under their supervision). The lift really does need replacing!
No bar or restaurant in the hotel which is a shame although their are some good places located nearby. I recommend Birch Coffee located along the street on the corner of Madisson Ave and 27th Street for a great breakfast and coffee.
Would probably stay here again due to its location.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We chose to stay at the Evelyn because it was close to the venue we were going to. Pleasantly surprised. The room was small but very nice. The beds are so comfortable. Staff was courteous and helpful. During our stay we did not have hot water, which wasnt too much of a problem because we were only there overnight but if our stay was any longer I would've needed hot water. The hotel staff said they were working on the problem and discounted our room.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheEvelynManagement, Front Office Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Good Day,

First and Foremost, thank you for choosing to stay at the Evelyn. Thank you for acknowledging that our staff is helpful and courteous. Contingency planes will be in place that no matter what happens, normal operation of the Evelyn will continue without any interruption. We are confident that on your next visit you will have a perfect stay. I will personally make sure that you have the most enjoyable stay at The Evelyn. I can be reached at eboamah@theevelyn.com

Kind Regards

Front Office Manger
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed at The Evelyn for 6 nights last week and having such a nice room really made my stay in New York more enjoyable. The room was quite small, but since it was only me, it was all I needed. The room was elegantly decorated and it looked exactly like in the photos. There was a theme of the song Manhattan - with the musical notes of the song tiled around the bathroom and a record of the song in a cabinet (though you couldn't play it). I probably would have preferred using the space that the record takes up with a coffee machine or microwave, but that's just me. The room was always warm enough, and when the shower had hot water, it was wonderful.

The lobby was quite retro - dark, but comfy. The staff at the desk and the doormen were always very helpful, and I never had to wait long if I wanted help. The location was great, reasonably close to lots of gluten free restaurants and a 10-15 minute walk up to Herald Square.

A few negatives though:
*On my last night the boiler was undergoing maintanance, so there was no hot water which meant I couldn't shower before flying for 22 hours, however they made it right by removing the cost of that night from my bill at check out which was genuinely appreciated.
*The lift was extremely slow - If I missed the lift leaving the lobby, it could take close to ten minutes before I could get to my floor (the 12th floor).
*The housekeeping rarely got to my room before 4pm. Considering it gets dark just after 5, this was pretty inconvenient. It did force me to explore the city a bit more, bit it would have been nice to have a longer rest before going out for dinner each night. I also found my toothbrush on the floor behind the toilet where it had been knocked of the sink and left which was quite inconsiderate - it's one thing if it had been a hairbrush, but not my toothbrush! Other than that, it was very clean and I never felt like I was sleeping/walking/bathing in someone else's filth!

Room Tip: A room on the lower floor would be easier to get to without having to wait for the lift but the high...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Good Day,

Thank you for the rave review of your six night stay at The Evelyn. Thank you for your elegant description of the bathroom and the room you stayed in. Reading your comments was like reading the setting in the bestselling novel. A job well done with your description of the room you stayed in.
We are currently undergoing the transformation of the Evelyn. Contingency plans will be in place that no matter what happens, normal operation of the Evelyn will not be interrupted. We truly value all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Front Office Manager
Elizabethtown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Nice CO Bigelow soap products, comfortable bed, and the room smelled fresh and clean. Unfortunately the hot water is tempermental (or non-existant in some rooms) and the lobby is dark and unfinished. Trash pick up is apparently Friday morning at 4:30 am, expect to be woken by the truck and cursing workmen. This hotel has great potential, the price was reasonable, and the location very convieniant. Because of the early morning noise and hot water situation I would only rate this hotel as average.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Good Day,
Thank you for the great comment about our amenities, we are still in the midst of the transformation of the Evelyn. Contingency planes will be in place that no matter what happens, normal operation of the Evelyn will continue without any interruption. We are confident that on your next visit you will consider us to be above average. I will personally make sure that you have the most enjoyable stay at The Evelyn. I can be reached at eboamah@theevelyn.com

Front Office Manger

Sincerest Regards
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Visited this hotel from 15 till 20 february.
Slept in a queensized room which was still very new. The shower in the bathroom was excellent!
The location of this hotel is good, subway is a 2 minute walk. We had no breakfast here but we ate it at a deli named ''bread and butter'' on the corner of 5th avenue and 31th street.
Good breakfast there and affordable! Beware of the grumpy staff there though...Hell, almost all new yorkers were a bit grumpy, perhaps the weather has something to do with?
An exception was the staff in this hotel, all were very friendly and helpfull.
especially the doorman Danny, i think his name was..He looks like a korean and wears glasses.
He was very attentive and helpfull. Be sure to tip him good!
A special mention also for the woman who cleaned our room , Liliane..We love you!
On one evening there was no hot water available because they had problems with the boiler. that problem continued during the morning of our departure. they handled this problem in a professional way and when we checked out they promised us a room upgrade the next time we visit this hotel.
We had a great time here!

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words, we appreciate you taking the time out to letting it be known that our bathroom was excellent. We take the customer service provided to our valued guests very serious. So when you categorize our staff as being exceptional, it speaks volumes. We are still in the midst of the transformation of the Evelyn. Contingency planes will be in place that no matter what happens, normal operation of the Evelyn will continue without any interruption.
The mere fact that you remembered the names of our staff members promotes the notion that we provided a classical undivided customer service and we are very grateful that it was acknowledge by you. We sincerely value all your comments and we humbly wait to welcome you in the near future.
Sincerest Regards
Front Office Manager

Been to The Evelyn? Share your experiences!