“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Evelyn

You added The Evelyn to your Saves list
The Evelyn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 East 27th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Formerly The Gershwin Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy the NYC experience
Ranked #307 of 459 Hotels in New York City
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I got a nice deal for my 8-day stay and I had a great experience. The staff is very pleasant and professional. The room on the 10th floor was cozy with a Queen-sized bed, a view of the city, a fridge, free WiFi and a large flat-screen TV. I have a few complaints:

• The maids don't clean behind the bed. I misplaced something and while I was looking for it, I had the misfortune of seeing the dust bunnies behind the bed-frame. Not sanitary at all. Make sure to tell them to clean there if you find your maid in the hallway.

• The room isn't stocked with an iron and board. You have to ask for them. Do it on your first day so you don't get surprised while you're in a rush like I was.

• The toilet chain broke off and they had to someone to fix it on two different occasions. Despite that, I was never convinced that it was actually fixed.

• There was a lot of construction which made the hotel look far worse than it really was. I did not hear the construction, nor was it a real bother. The only issue is that using the stairs means going through construction area on 3 different floors, which is guaranteed to dust or dirty up your clothes. And believe me, you'll have the urge to go through those stairs anyway, because there is only 1 elevator for guests and it is ridiculously slow. You can spend up to 10 minutes waiting for it.

Despite all that, I'll give the hotel 4 stars. I got it at a really good price and those few hiccups didn't ruin my stay in the least. The hotel is at a good location and it was a very cozy stay. The busted toilet or slow elevator didn't ruin my vacation in the least.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor! The floors are being renovated from top to bottom, so if you get a higher room...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Newbourne,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are really excited to let you know that we are addressing all this issues with the ongoing restoration, we are confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Turkish first
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed Fri-Tues...staff very pleasant, professional and helpful especially Arielle and Hicham, they could not do enough for us! Great location new rooms well done, no bar or restaurant but plenty nearby. Would stay again...Richard

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Richard C.,
I'm pleased to announce that all our rooms are now fully renovated!
Director of Sales and Marketing
Zeeland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks in July. The location for what we needed was spot on. Staff is very caring and kind. If you are a light sleeper don't get a room looking over 27th, as early risers it was OK to us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mary E,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience al the Gershwin Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Terruggia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

2 persons, one week. Perfect position, quite, nice and efficient personnel. Room not big but new and very clean. It is located in crowded area, near Union square, nice park. Perfect assistance before our arrival.

Dear Roberto M.,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our service. We are very excited with the on-going transformation. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Everyone was friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and updated. The location was great. My daughter and I loved our visit to NYC, and the staff at the Gershwin Hotel made it an A+ mini-vacation!

Dear Jennifer J.,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. I highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Director of Sales and Marketing
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Excellent value for money and very central. Will be great when all refurbishment work completed. We didn't have a refurb end room but it was fine. Staff very friendly and you can buy food from deli to eat in dining area in lobby.

Dear Fiona K,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We really enjoyed staying here- We liked Excellent location and value for money. Staff were very helpful though they could do with a bit of training on how to help you to book an airport shuttle - very willing but lacking in knowldege. The room was small but very comfortable and the bathroom had one of the best showers I have ever experienced, large shower head and plenty of room. Lovely toiletries. Amazing decoration with music staves from Gershwin's New York, New York on the tiles. There was a good sized room safe, and a good sized refrigerator. Good sized flatscreen TV and iPod dock alarm clock. There was even the current week's copy of Time Out New York.
The hotel is undergoing massive reconstruction so there is, understandably, a little construction noise during the day although it did not affect us. Because of the work there was only one lift working which meant a wait sometimes.There was no coffee maker/kettle available, I should imagine because of the construction work. And the smart reception area leads into a very dingy lobby, which had not yet been decorated. Having said all of this my main "don't like" is that when all the work is finished the price will probably go up out of my budget as it will be a stunning hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back if you don't like New York traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BletchleyCat,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff and delighted to hear you were able to enjoy our hotel's central location. We apologize for the inconvenience while booking the super Shuttle. I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Director of Sales

Been to The Evelyn? Share your experiences!