“OK choice if you are on a budget, but nothing more.” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 E 27th Street, New York City, NY 10016   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #313 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Geneva, Switzerland
“OK choice if you are on a budget, but nothing more.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Gershwin wants to be the Chelsea but is nowhere near it. But compared to other budget hotels it is at least somewhat creative and colorful. So if you are on a budget, it may be an OK choice, particularly as the location is excellent.

During my first night however, a heating valve the heating created a massive noise every hour or so, making it impossible to sleep. From talking to other hotel guests, that was not only an issue of my one room. At least they changed my room without discussion the next day, but with no discount or at least apology offered either.

There's only one elevator which takes forever so walking is actually quicker but with luggage you better plan some time.

The shuttle service to Newark is a disaster - costs almost 40$, leaves only every hour, and takes the first hour criss-crossing through Midtown including stopping at the very Gershwin after 25 minutes. You better take the train or if you are three or more share a cab.

Beds not very comfortable in both of my rooms, bathrooms OK.

As mentioned - don't expect an art hotel or anything near the beloved Chelsea Hotel that now died, but for that price it is still a more interesting and unique choice than YMCA or other budget options. I would have given three points, but the heating valve disaster during my first night and the unacceptable airport shuttle should make them happy that I didn't give just one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Stephen J D, General Manager at The Gershwin Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear GSH_1975,
Thank you for taking time out of you busy schedule to provide feedback for your stay at the Gershwin hotel; please be advised that the hotel is currently under new management and that since your stay the Hotel has replaced all bedding and is in the process of converting the elevators to a new high speed service and the engineering staff have been inspecting and replacing all valves as needed.
I will pass the information you gave concerning the shuttle service to their dispatcher for resolve. I thank you for staying at the Gershwin Hotel and hope you will consider staying again so you can see for yourself the numerous and continuous changes being made.
Once again thank you for your feedback.
Stephen J DeFazio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on the night of new years eve. Check in was easy and the people in the lobby were able to look after our bags before check in time without an issue. The location of this hotel is great too, just around the corner from the empire state building.
The problem I had was with sleeping. First of all, my comforter/doona thing was totally lumpy. Also there seemed to be a gap between the 2 panes of glass in the window, which meant that every outside noise came in. Finally I was woken up every 10-20 minutes by the gas heater thing that was in the corner of the room. It would make a really loud hissing noise every time it came on.
That was my worst night's sleep in my whole 2 weeks of staying in new york.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Stephen J D, General Manager at The Gershwin Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Emma C,
Thank you for staying at the Gershwin Hotel; I read your comments and I humbly apologies for any inconveniences you had during your stay. Please be advised that the Gershwin Hotel is currently under new management and we are in the process of making many Improvements. I thank you for taking time out of your schedule to give feedback, please know we treat every person’s feedback as a learning experience so we can constantly improve on guest satisfaction. Please feel free to contact myself or any other member of the Gershwin Hotel team if you desire to discuss these matters further.
Once again thank you for staying at the Gershwin Hotel and I hope you consider staying with us again so you can witness for yourself all the positive changes in place.
Stephen J DeFazio
Redlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Overall my brief stay at this hotel was pretty smooth and straightforward. The first night was easy to sleep, the second night was trouble, and the third night was terrible. There was maintenance from 10 all the way to 3o'clock at night to the morning, which is unacceptable. You would think that the majority of the work would be done during the day, but that did not seem to be the case. At any rate, the hotel staff was very courteous, graceful, and were genuinely nice (not some act). The room and bathroom were clean and well kept. The bed was ridiculously amazing.. I miss it. The TV was in a high and awkward position, making it pretty difficult to watch for an extended period of time on the bed. Mind you, I don't watch TV at all, so this is a first for me and it wasn't pleasant. If the TV was lowered about 1-2 feet, that would make a world of difference. I can't think of anything else to say

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here first week of December although the rooms are fairly basic the location and staff are amazing. First night wasn't the best as was some construction happening below our window. Asked reception if we could change rooms and we were changed later that day. I would upgrade rooms next time as standard is very basic....Birch Cafe which is right by reception has best coffee to,start day with. Concierge was really helpful and recommended we use the hop on hop off buses, which are great for seeing the sights. Got us really good seats at Chicago show too. We managed to walk everywhere from here, and weren't getting home till after 12am every night, felt safe walking the streets. Loved NY can't get to come back again and would stay here again too.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
stoke
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had to comment on how good this hotel is, yes it isnt all glitz and glam but it is clean comfortable and modern. ! The entrance is fab it looks like a Rhino has run out of the building - all horns everywhere (trust me you will understannd when you see it !) the lobby is basic but clean and the lifts efficient. there is a lovely cafe attached to the hotel which is always busy and serves lovely teas/ coffees and many more drinks. The room we had (a superior double) had a seperate lounge and bedroom making it large a roomy, the only negative I can think of is the heating was a bit tricky and the shower not always the best - the heat varies alot !! but the location of this hotel far outways any little issues ! This hotel is within minutes of the famous landmarks such as 5th Avenue (Litterally few seconds from the door !) The Flatiorn building, The Empire State Building, New York Library and many more. Times Square is a mere 10 minute walk away and there is a main subway stop around the corner on Park Avenue which will take you uptown or downtown although either are only a 20 minutes walk giving you the opportunity to see this wonderful city. I cannot reccomend this Hotel enough and we will stay here again !

Room Tip: Try and go for a superior room if the price isnt too much difference as these are alot larger than s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Excellent location near midtown and few minutes walk to two subway stations. Great cafe downstairs for breakfast. Room is not anything luxurious, but clean and spacious. Hotel organized shuttle to the airport.

Room Tip: Superior room was spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Although basic this hotel cannot be beaten on it's location. 5th Avenue is the divider between East and West so it's in the middle of Manhattan. A 5 minute walk from Empire State building and in the other direction the Flatiron Building. 25 minutes to Times Square and Roccefeller Centre.
Our room was on the 13th floor and was very basic. We did have a few issues with the toilet and heating and as the pipes are old they can make some noise but apart from this it was fine for us. We stayed over New Year and for what we paid we couldn't complain too much. The bed was comfortable and there was a seating area if you wanted to bring take-out food to eat in your room. WiFi is free and worked better than expected. The room was cleaned daily and too a high standard thanks to our maid Mjuin (I think was her name.)
There is only 1 lift for the whole building and from the 13th floor we didn't like to walk too often so there was sometimes a wait. We didn't eat at the cafe on site however we did use Cafe 28 which is just around the block. It offered a good choice in food and drinks and was very cheap - we had breakfast here often.
After reading previous reviews I can see what people mean regarding rude staff and others were more helpful than some.
The hotel was bought out in September so renovations have started and we saw changed while we were there; hopefully these will all be for the better.
Overall I enjoyed my stay here and will return next time I'm in New York.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Gershwin Hotel? Share your experiences!