“Amazing location, great rooms !” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 E 27th Street, New York City, NY 10016   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #315 of 452 hotels in New York City
stoke
“Amazing location, great rooms !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had to comment on how good this hotel is, yes it isnt all glitz and glam but it is clean comfortable and modern. ! The entrance is fab it looks like a Rhino has run out of the building - all horns everywhere (trust me you will understannd when you see it !) the lobby is basic but clean and the lifts efficient. there is a lovely cafe attached to the hotel which is always busy and serves lovely teas/ coffees and many more drinks. The room we had (a superior double) had a seperate lounge and bedroom making it large a roomy, the only negative I can think of is the heating was a bit tricky and the shower not always the best - the heat varies alot !! but the location of this hotel far outways any little issues ! This hotel is within minutes of the famous landmarks such as 5th Avenue (Litterally few seconds from the door !) The Flatiorn building, The Empire State Building, New York Library and many more. Times Square is a mere 10 minute walk away and there is a main subway stop around the corner on Park Avenue which will take you uptown or downtown although either are only a 20 minutes walk giving you the opportunity to see this wonderful city. I cannot reccomend this Hotel enough and we will stay here again !

Room Tip: Try and go for a superior room if the price isnt too much difference as these are alot larger than s...

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Excellent location near midtown and few minutes walk to two subway stations. Great cafe downstairs for breakfast. Room is not anything luxurious, but clean and spacious. Hotel organized shuttle to the airport.

Room Tip: Superior room was spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Although basic this hotel cannot be beaten on it's location. 5th Avenue is the divider between East and West so it's in the middle of Manhattan. A 5 minute walk from Empire State building and in the other direction the Flatiron Building. 25 minutes to Times Square and Roccefeller Centre.
Our room was on the 13th floor and was very basic. We did have a few issues with the toilet and heating and as the pipes are old they can make some noise but apart from this it was fine for us. We stayed over New Year and for what we paid we couldn't complain too much. The bed was comfortable and there was a seating area if you wanted to bring take-out food to eat in your room. WiFi is free and worked better than expected. The room was cleaned daily and too a high standard thanks to our maid Mjuin (I think was her name.)
There is only 1 lift for the whole building and from the 13th floor we didn't like to walk too often so there was sometimes a wait. We didn't eat at the cafe on site however we did use Cafe 28 which is just around the block. It offered a good choice in food and drinks and was very cheap - we had breakfast here often.
After reading previous reviews I can see what people mean regarding rude staff and others were more helpful than some.
The hotel was bought out in September so renovations have started and we saw changed while we were there; hopefully these will all be for the better.
Overall I enjoyed my stay here and will return next time I'm in New York.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

After a second stay at The Gershwin Hotel I can say the hotel management desperately needs to do something about the outdated rooms. The superior room we had could use some new furniture, especially the bathroom, wich had a rusty sink and we had fights every morning with extremely hot or ice cold water in the shower...

Upon arrival we still found hairs from strangers in the bathroom, that were only removed after the second night of staying.

Besides the old furniture and bad housekeeping, the hotel is located well and is close to two subway stations serving the N, R and 6 trains. Might be a place to sleep for those who don't want to feel king of the castle.

Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

4 of us stayed for 2 nights in mid-December in Family Suite. The room was huge with 2 separate bedrooms and a bath, plus a little sitting area. The location is perfect for spending time seeing the city and shopping on 5th. We felt safe and the hotel was very clean. The coffee shop attached to the hotel had great muffins and coffee.

Our only had 2 complaints - 1 - shower ran hot and cold at random, 2 - one night we were woken up at 3 am by loud banging on the pipes - the front desk told us this is was normal and it lasted about 30 minutes

I would definitely stay here again. The price was great for Christmas in Manhattan and if you have a group of 4, the Family Room is perfect.

Room Tip: Family rooms work out nice for a group of 4 - one queen bed (for 1 couple) and 2 twin beds (one of e...
Higganum, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We spent one night (thankfully) at the Gershwin in early December. Upon arrival I found two of the smallest bed s I have ever seen in a hotel. Mind you I have been in hotels and B&Bs throughout this country and Ireland. As I sat on my tiny bed it slid across the floor as if on skates. The sound of running water was coming from the bathroom. I discovered the tub faucet running and not able to be shut off. On our way out for the evening we told the desk clerk about the issue. Upon our return we found the tub to no longer be running.
I lay on the rock slab of a bed and slept in fear of falling off the diminutive bed. At about this time the heat kicked in. I knew this by the amount of air stuck in the system which was causing the pipes to bang so loud you would have thought someone was hitting them with a hammer. I was startled awake at about 6:45 a.m. by the sound of a metal grinder cutting a steel beam just below my window, how pleasant Since I was up I decided to take a shower. I turned on the faucet in the tub to have plenty of water coming out of the it but very little would come out of the shower head when the shower was turned on. So much for a shower.
The construction outside the window appeared to have been going on for some time and this should have been noted upon our reservation or arrival.
The only redeeming thing about the hotel was the pleasant staff. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone under any circumstances.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stephen J D, General Manager at The Gershwin Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear SMoriarty,
I would like to thank you for staying at the Gershwin Hotel; I am pleased to inform you since your stay the hotel is now under new management, every day we are making improvements as to not have anyone else have a disappointing stay. Please feel free to contact myself or any member of the Gershwin Hotel Team if you would like to discuss matters further.
I hope you consider staying at the Gershwin Hotel again as to see the numerous improvements made.
Yours truly,
Stephen J DeFazio

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights over July 4th on a tour of USA.

It's okay. The rooms aren't beautiful, they are really very basic. A bathroom, wooden flooring, small TV. It was clean. However for the price paid and the location I have no regrets.

You are in New York City, you won't be in your room for long. We preferred spending our money in other ways.

PS try empire pizza on your way home at night. A great takeaway slice of Pizza.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Gershwin Hotel? Share your experiences!