“Clean, comfortable, close to subway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada New York/Eastside

You added Ramada New York/Eastside to your Saves list
Ramada New York/Eastside
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #313 of 463 Hotels in New York City
“Clean, comfortable, close to subway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for three nights with my mother during December. Upon check-in, the staff was pleasant and helpful. The room was clean. It was a little cramped, as we had two queen beds, but it's NYC! The room fit our needs just fine. The hotel is just a few blocks to the 6 train, which is only a stop or two from major connections. We could see the Empire State Building from our window as well. The day we checked out, the hotel kept our bags for us until our flight left that evening. The only complaint I have, and it's a very small one, is the quality of the continental breakfast. It consisted of dry pastries, donuts, and cereal. However, Penelope is a little cafe right next to the hotel and serves a great breakfast. The Murray Hill Diner is only about a block north and also serves a fast, cheap, tasty breakfast. Overall this was a very enjoyable place to stay in NYC. Great hotel for the money in a very expensive city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Perfect location, in the heart of Manhattan. One of the most reasonable price in NY. My double room was just right, bathroom and shower quite new and really clean. They have a gym and a business room where you can print anything from tickets to boarding passes. Definitely will be back if ever in NY again. I suggest to go to/from the airport with a shuttle, either go express or super shuttle; they are super cheap and if you are alone taxis are worthless.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Norwalk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a night during the holiday season. The place was clean and very welcoming. When asked where we could park our car, the front desk staff told us of a nearby garage that cost us less than half of the regular price, once our ticket was validated! The double Queen room was clean and very spacious. There was a well stocked toiletry assortment, as well as many packs of coffee for in-room brewing, and a free and varied continental breakfast, that made the morning rush easier. Great place!

Whittier, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and arrived very early so they held our luggage at no charge. Upon checking in, we were told that there was an addition $15 per person charge when there is more than 1 person in a room. Double check when booking!! There is no difference in price when booking online or with a travel agent. We had a non-smoking room but could smell cigarette stench- it would come thru the vents periodically. Room was comfortable- enough to sleep when visiting NYC. We like to maintain our room cool but the air conditioner didn't work the first night. We tried using it the second night & was fine for a while- then it switched to hot air. Our agent communicated with the manager about the extra fee when we first arrived & said the manager was rude and would not deduct the fee. She did contact the corporate office and they did eventually refund the fee as it was charged in error on Ramada's part.

Room Tip: I'm assuming rooms on the backside are quieter.
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I booked a non-smoking room through Orbitz more than a month in advance. I received a smoking room. The hotel staff blamed Orbitz. Orbitz proved them liars.

I talked to the manager and he said he couldn't do anything for me (by the way, there was another guest in the exact same situation I heard complianing).

I decided to move hotels and informed them that I wouldn't pay for the room I spent 5 minutes in. The manager said I would have to. I told him I would contact Orbitz and my credit card company.

Some how, as I was booking a new room through Orbitz a room materialized.

While the hotel is serviceable (old and a little too far downtown to be convienent), the dishonesty of the staff and manager makes this a non-starter. No apology. No service recovery. Nothing.

Room Tip: If you risk booking this hotel, call far ahead to make sure they know your preference.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Associate at Ramada New York/Eastside, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Louis G,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were placed initially in a smoking permitted room. This was done as your original reservation was confirmed as a smoking room. However, we understand that mistakes, both within our organization and elsewhere, happen sometimes. In this case, your reservation that came through a third-party website, expressly was for a "smoking room" We cannot cancel reservations after a guest has arrived. Our cancellation policy states that a reservation must be cancelled by 3pm the day before arrival. The manager looked for a non-smoking room for you and one was found shortly. Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconvenience of having to switch rooms.

We hope you will give us another chance on your next trip to New York City.

Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I spent three nights here on business, and it's nothing fancy, but it's perfectly adequate when all you need is a safe and clean place to lay your head. The hotel is in an old building, so it has some charm, but like most Manhattan hotels, the rooms are a cozy size. Still, they have an appropriate amount of furniture and it looks like the place has been recently remodeled, so everything is in nice shape and very clean.

I had reserved a non-smoking room and ended up on a smoking floor. Walking down the hallway was unpleasant, but my room didn't reek of smoke, so I didn't hassle with changing. The hotel only has two ice machines, one on the 6th floor and one on the 9th, and the only vending machines are off the lobby. The good news is that you probably won't end up in a room next to noisy machinery, but if you want anything, you have to trek a ways to get it. The bed was comfortable and I heard very little hotel noise, even though the place was full. The street noise was a little intense, but I've stayed in much pricier places in New York where that was still the case, and if you think it will bother you, take along some ear plugs.

The staff was courteous and friendly; the breakfast was the standard hotel free breakfast with cereal, bagels, waffles, fruit and yogurt; and the dining room was sunny, clean and spacious. They also keep it open until 10am, which is nice if you like to sleep in.

The best thing about staying here is that you're close to everything. It's an easy walk to the subway and Grand Central, so you can get anywhere from here. The neighborhood is full of ethnic shops and restaurants, so you can always find something good to eat. And if you're a real foodie, Kalustyan's, the world's best spice shop and ethnic grocery, is just a block away.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It was a bit pricey because of the time of year, but during non-peak times, this place would be a great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ramada New York/Eastside? Share your experiences!