“Decent stay but beware of additional charges” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada New York/Eastside

You added Ramada New York/Eastside to your Saves list
Ramada New York/Eastside
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #313 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Whittier, California
“Decent stay but beware of additional charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and arrived very early so they held our luggage at no charge. Upon checking in, we were told that there was an addition $15 per person charge when there is more than 1 person in a room. Double check when booking!! There is no difference in price when booking online or with a travel agent. We had a non-smoking room but could smell cigarette stench- it would come thru the vents periodically. Room was comfortable- enough to sleep when visiting NYC. We like to maintain our room cool but the air conditioner didn't work the first night. We tried using it the second night & was fine for a while- then it switched to hot air. Our agent communicated with the manager about the extra fee when we first arrived & said the manager was rude and would not deduct the fee. She did contact the corporate office and they did eventually refund the fee as it was charged in error on Ramada's part.

Room Tip: I'm assuming rooms on the backside are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I booked a non-smoking room through Orbitz more than a month in advance. I received a smoking room. The hotel staff blamed Orbitz. Orbitz proved them liars.

I talked to the manager and he said he couldn't do anything for me (by the way, there was another guest in the exact same situation I heard complianing).

I decided to move hotels and informed them that I wouldn't pay for the room I spent 5 minutes in. The manager said I would have to. I told him I would contact Orbitz and my credit card company.

Some how, as I was booking a new room through Orbitz a room materialized.

While the hotel is serviceable (old and a little too far downtown to be convienent), the dishonesty of the staff and manager makes this a non-starter. No apology. No service recovery. Nothing.

Room Tip: If you risk booking this hotel, call far ahead to make sure they know your preference.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce Associate at Ramada New York/Eastside, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Louis G,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you were placed initially in a smoking permitted room. This was done as your original reservation was confirmed as a smoking room. However, we understand that mistakes, both within our organization and elsewhere, happen sometimes. In this case, your reservation that came through a third-party website, expressly was for a "smoking room" We cannot cancel reservations after a guest has arrived. Our cancellation policy states that a reservation must be cancelled by 3pm the day before arrival. The manager looked for a non-smoking room for you and one was found shortly. Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconvenience of having to switch rooms.

We hope you will give us another chance on your next trip to New York City.

Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I spent three nights here on business, and it's nothing fancy, but it's perfectly adequate when all you need is a safe and clean place to lay your head. The hotel is in an old building, so it has some charm, but like most Manhattan hotels, the rooms are a cozy size. Still, they have an appropriate amount of furniture and it looks like the place has been recently remodeled, so everything is in nice shape and very clean.

I had reserved a non-smoking room and ended up on a smoking floor. Walking down the hallway was unpleasant, but my room didn't reek of smoke, so I didn't hassle with changing. The hotel only has two ice machines, one on the 6th floor and one on the 9th, and the only vending machines are off the lobby. The good news is that you probably won't end up in a room next to noisy machinery, but if you want anything, you have to trek a ways to get it. The bed was comfortable and I heard very little hotel noise, even though the place was full. The street noise was a little intense, but I've stayed in much pricier places in New York where that was still the case, and if you think it will bother you, take along some ear plugs.

The staff was courteous and friendly; the breakfast was the standard hotel free breakfast with cereal, bagels, waffles, fruit and yogurt; and the dining room was sunny, clean and spacious. They also keep it open until 10am, which is nice if you like to sleep in.

The best thing about staying here is that you're close to everything. It's an easy walk to the subway and Grand Central, so you can get anywhere from here. The neighborhood is full of ethnic shops and restaurants, so you can always find something good to eat. And if you're a real foodie, Kalustyan's, the world's best spice shop and ethnic grocery, is just a block away.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. It was a bit pricey because of the time of year, but during non-peak times, this place would be a great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We decided to do a last minute NYC weekend and this was a great find! The price was very reasonable for 2 queen tempurpedic beds (low $200s with AAA discount) and the location was so convenient to everything. We walked there from Penn Station and we took the subway everywhere -- didn't need to hail a cab at all. The front office staff was especially helpful when I saw that they offered a AAA discount (which I didn't see when I booked the room on their website) and they honored the discount at check in for me. The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate to get us going in the morning (bagels, donuts, waffles, pancakes, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, tea & juice). Room was fine sized with an in-room safe. We definitely would stay here again on a future NYC trip.

Room Tip: Some rooms are smoking (couldn't believe they had those anymore) so be sure to ask for a non-smo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greencastle PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here December 7-9 2012. Had a double room. Room was very spacious. Room, lobby and breakfast area all very clean. Breakfast was the standard continental-eggs, waffles, bagels, donuts. Staff was helpful and friendly. Convenient location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel is in a good location- close to lots of shopping and Macy's! Prices were very reasonable and I never felt unsafe.

The hotel is clean and well maintained. The staff was very helpful and provided anything you asked for/needed quickly. I would definitely stay here again. I stayed in May just before summer and in comparison to other hotel rates we definitely got a good value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ramada New York/Eastside? Share your experiences!