“Wonderful Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Hotel

Save Saved
You added Avalon Hotel to your Saves list
Avalon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 East 32nd Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2014 Fall Promotion
Ranked #88 of 451 hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I spent six nights at the hotel in late February 2014. Upon booking I had asked for a non-smoking room due to allergies. Imagine my surprise when a week before my departure to NY, I received an email asking me if there was anything else in the room which they may need to remove due to my allergies. I have traveled a lot and this is the first time any hotel, including 5-star hotels, have been kind enough to ask this question. I commend them, what wonderful caring staff. The hotel room was great, excellent size, clean, well kept, and huge by NY standards. Excellent price for what was offered. I did think that the breakfast was a little overpriced, but the food was good. Will definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends.
Mara - Melbourne Australia

Room Tip: 12th floor facing 32nd Street was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Mara H.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent 6 night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel spacious, clean, well located and an excellent value for your needs. However, I was most pleased to know that our staff - in advance of your arrival - went above-and-beyond your expectations to insure your stay with us was comfortable and pleasant. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to them.

Should your travels bring you back to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

630 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights at the beginning of March, during some very cold weather. The hotel is warm and comfortable and the staff are extremely helpful. The complimentary tea/coffee etc in the lobby area, which is set aside for guests use, is extremely welcome, whatever the weather. It is very good value for the location, close to sights and transport links. We were fortunate to have an upgraded suite, which was lovely. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfort, value and location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Margaret H.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent 4 night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel warm and comfortable, as well as our location and amenities - including the complimentary tea/coffee in the library - perfect for your needs. Thank you for letting me know that our staff was "extremely helpful." They certainly are the crown jewels of the Hotel. I will pass your kind comments on to them.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We have just spent 4 nights at this hotel, travelling from the UK. I travelled with my mum to celebrate my 30th birthday. Upon arrival the staff immediately upgraded us to a deluxe room at no additional cost, which was excellent!

The room was huge, especially for a room in New York which I had heard were usually on the small side. The bed was a king size bed, but actually seemed a lot bigger than that. The pillows were amazing too! :)

The room had 2 fridges and 2 TV's, which was clearly more than enough.

The staff were so helpful and the complimentary tea and coffee (and lovely hot chocolate) were an additional bonus at the end of each day.

The maps provided by the hotel were also the best ones available as they clearly highlighted the tube stations and routes.

The location could not have been better for tourists like ourselves. It is literally a minutes walk away from the Empire State Building, 5 minutes from the Flat Iron Building and 2 minutes from the local tube station.

I would certainly return to this hotel, and would 100% recommend it.

Outstanding value also.

Thanks for an excellent stay and an unforgettable trip.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Beccy S.,

Happy 30th Birthday!

I was thrilled to read that you had decided to spend such a special occasion with us and in New York City. I am happy to know you found our hotel rooms spacious and comfortable, our amenities suited your needs, as well as our location perfect for your stay.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan please contact my office as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A hotel in the heart of Korea town, the rooms here (we had a Deluxe Suite as there were 3 of us) are very comfortably sized with ample rooms for the 6 large suitcases we had (3 girls travelling together - that explains it all!).
We arrived close to noon (from an apartment on 55th where we'd been staying for the last 5 nights) on a day that had a snow blizzard. The receptionist checked us in swiftly and told us the room was ready. That was such a relief as leaving our luggage and tromping out in the snow wasn't really an option.
The room we got faced the front of the hotel and wasn't as noisy as we thought it would be given that it's a busy street. Ample room for 2 twin beds and a sofa that opened into a twin-sized bed AND the above-mentioned 6 suitcases was reason enough to love the place given that we were booked to stay for the next 9 nights.
The bathroom was also pleasant and had 2 sinks to accommodate the various toiletry bags that we had.
Decor for the hotel and the room were traditional although it boasted modern gadgets like flat TV, ipod alarm radio & free in-room wifi etc.
The free coffee/tea in the lobby alcove as well as the free internet stations were also a great welcome when we trooped in from the cold on several days.
Staff were always very pleasant and helpful.
All in all, a very pleasant stay and highly recommended if you like the area with a street full of Korean/Asian restaurants for a quick or full meal.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Suite is ample for 3 adults or 2 adults with 2 small children (who can share a twin bed o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear MHMoo,

I was happy to read that you and your friends enjoyed your nine night stay with us. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you quickly upon arrival and found our rooms spacious and comfortable and the hotel's amenities perfect for your needs. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, I will pass it on to them.

Should you travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Manningtree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

we were unsure of what to expect of hotel and location. when we arrived we were greeted by reception with a friendly welcome.the hotel and room was really clean. our room was really large,the bathroom had bath and shower plenty of room and hairdryer. 2 double beds which were so comfortable. nice chunky pillows and a setee, 2 televisions and a mini bar with complementary coffee downstairs. the location was excellent a short walk to the empire state building. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to new york. a great trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Dawn C.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your kind words are most appreciated.

I was pleased to read that you decided to make the Avalon your home-away-from-home during your visit to Manhattan. Additionally, I was happy to learn that you found our hotel perfect for your needs including our large, spacious guest rooms, our comfortable bedding and room amenities, as well as our complimentary coffee in the library lounge. I would like to say a special thank you for commenting that our staff was friendly and welcoming. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Should your travel plans bring you back to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

In December I traveled East for a job interview and made reservations at the Avalon. I requested an early check-in, if possible and a non smoking room. I arrived around noon and was informed that there was no room available. I left my bags and went for my interview and some other scheduled appointments. I returned to the hotel after 10 p.m. My bags were at the desk and I was given a smoking room. (If the hotel knew that they were booked, it would have make sense for them to have brought my bags to a non-smoking room, while one was available) I went to the room but the nicotine odor was making me sick. I asked at the desk for a non smoking room and was told that none was available. I had to leave the hotel and walk to find a room in another hotel. I tried resolving the issue the next day but was informed that a refund could only be issued if I cancelled 48 hours in advance and that the hotel cannot guarantee a non-smoking request. I contacted American Express, who tried to resolve the issue and were unsuccessful. The hotel management was not understanding of how sick the odor in the room had made me. They stood fast to their stance that I had not cancelled 48 hours ahead of time. I finally called and asked to speak with a manager. I was again told that a non-smoking request does not have to be honored unless the guest informs the hotel that there is a medical reason for the request. If I left the hotel because I did not like the color of the sheets or the brand of soap, I would understand the hotel's response. However, a request for no smoking is a serious request. I would suggest that if you do make a request that you get confirmation in writing that it will be honored. However, I would encourage you to find a hotel whose management and staff are committed to customer service. After much discussion with the manager, she offered to give me a 30% refund. I explained that when a hotel refuses to accommodate a reasonable request made by a guest, other travelers should be alerted to this policy.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Lovenyc2014,

Thank you for staying at the Avalon Hotel New York and taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay. I certainly value your feedback.

I regret that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. Nor are these the standards we strive for or deliver on a daily basis.

As a direct result of your comments, and our responsibility to creating a healthier environment for our guests and employees, we will be converting the Avalon to a 100% non-smoking hotel.

If your travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, and should you decide to stay with us again, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Trust the reviews for this hotel, The Avalon is a gem in the perfect location.
I stayed with my mum for 4 nights, it was my 3rd time in NYC and my mums first. Happy I choose this location for my mum to experience manhattan for the first time. I will not repeat the excellent comments in other reviews; which I fully agree with. However, special comments must go to ALL staff. Not only were they welcoming and courteous but also had personalities, which in my experience is often lacking in such a professional service like that offered at The Avalon. Particular thanks to housekeeping, and doormen!
In response to past reviews we stayed on the 3rd floor, and wifi was very fast - no issues at all.

Stayed April 2014
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Mokells,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel perfect for all your needs. However, I was most pleased to hear that you found our staff was welcoming and courteous and had personalities. We strive to make our guests feel as welcomed as possible.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Michael R.

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!