“We really liked it ! staff and location +++ modern -” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Hotel

You added Avalon Hotel to your Saves list
Avalon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 East 32nd Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2014 Holiday Offer
Ranked #69 of 458 Hotels in New York City
“We really liked it ! staff and location +++ modern -”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We really enjoyed staying at the avalon hotel.
Our room was big ( especially for NYC ) and clean. The hotel isnt new but well preserved, a touch up could be done but nothing to be worried about !
The staff was great and helpful at any time.
It was the perfect location for us ( tourists ), easy access to the subway and walk away from some of the nicest attractions in NYC. MoMA, Empire state building etc ...

GO and dont worry

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Sebastien G.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the Avalon and found our rooms spacious and clean, our location perfect for your needs and most of all our staff helpful and friendly. I will certainly share your comments with them.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Michael R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I am exhaustive in my search for a hotel in NYC during an annual conference. I have fun comparing and checking out locations so I can try out different parts of the city while there. This year I chose the Avalon and I am thrilled that I did. My executive king suite was like a small apartment and I really could relax when I finally stopped for the day. The coffee in the lobby was good and I appreciated the coffee pot I requested in my room. The morning breakfast was handy and fresh.
The entire staff was friendly and went out of their way to help but I believe it starts at the top and the GM Mark R leads the way!
If I had a complaint, it was the internet connection which was agonizingly slow most of the time. I needed some help from engineering to adjust temperature in room and the tv and someone left the door to my room open, which of course alarmed me. After I made sure nothing was missing from room, I told the front desk and of course they were embarrassed. I am sure it is was just an accident but could have been a disaster.
I would definitely return. The Avalon offers a huge return on investment compared to most places I have stayed in NYC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear ARKSugarLand,

Thank you for letting us know about some of the opportunities you had with our hotel. I have notified engineering to insure that those issues were resolved. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our location, the size of our rooms and our continental buffet breakfast. I was most pleased to hear that our staff went out of their way to make your stay pleasant. They certainly are the crown jewel of the Avalon. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to them.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We just visited NYC for our 6th annual spring break family trip. We are pretty particular about what hotel we stay at but this year we decided to stay in a different location and couldn't be happier with our choice. We have a daughter with special needs and we have to pack a lot to get her through the week. We also need a clean room since her immune system is compromised. We stayed in the junior suite (great price) at the Avalon and not only was it huge compared to most hotel rooms in NYC, it was very clean with dust free laminate floors. Perfect all around for us. Checking in was pretty easy and then Curtis, the doorman, did a fabulous job settling us into our room. He even anticipated our needs and had someone come up and prepare the pullout sofa for our son. The location is outstanding as well. All kinds of nearby subways and we could see the Empire State Building lit up for St. Patrick's Day from our window. We will be staying at the Avalon for years to come.

Dear hilaryannl,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was thrilled to read that you had decided to stay at our hotel for your sixth annual spring break trip. I am happy we lived up to and exceeded your expectations. What I was most pleased to hear was how you felt you and your family were treated and taken care of - in particular your daughter. I am proud of the Avalon Hotel - especially the staff and was glad to hear that everyone - expecially Curtis - took good care of you and your family. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to him and the rest of the staff.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Sandwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed here this week for business as my client was around the corner on Madison, This hotel was very convenient to Penn station. The room was very large even for outside NYC standards. The staff was super attentive and friendly. The little coffee shop outside to the left is gear too...yummy muffins. Plan to bring my family to NYC and stay here

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Laura C.,

I was thrilled to read that you found our hotel's rooms, amenities and location perfect for your needs. I was also most happy to learn that you will be bringing your family here on your next trip.
I am honored that we will have the privledge to host you once again.

When you are ready to book your next trip to Manhattan and the Avalon Hotel, please contact my office directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Pennsauken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

First impressions are great. Lobby is lovely, go through to a lounge area with a little nook off to the side with computers & coffee machine. Upon arrival at 1.00pm, check in was slow & our room wasn't ready & wouldn't be until around 3:00pm., so out & about we went. It wasn't hard to kill time in the area the hotel is situated in. Back to the hotel at 3:30 & we still had to wait as they had to check if our room was ready.....trek up to the 8th floor & oops, wrong room. We booked a smoking junior & they put us in a non smoking. Call down to the lobby rectified the problem quickly. Room was large with 2 flat screen tv's & 2 very comfy queen size beds. Room was a little noisy come 7:00am with a construction site next door. Windows were a little draughty but that was counteracted by cranking up the heat. Overall a pleasant stay in a value for $$$ hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Auss1e63,

Please accept my sincere apology surrounding the opportunities you encountered during your stay with us. They certainly are not typical of the service here at the Avalon. Unlike many hotels in Manhattan, our windows can be opened, but also need to be closed tightly to minimize noise and draughts.

I am happy to know that you did find our location perfect for your needs and your overall stay was pleasant.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, I hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again. If so, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

After reading mulitple positive reviews on TripAdvisor I decided this was the right hotel choice. And it didn't disappoint! Considering the high cost for quality lodging in the middle Manhatton area, the nightly rate beat most of the competition (especially if you're lucky enough to grab one of their winter specials). Other great features include friendly staff, spacious junior suites, quiet evenings, great location across from the Empire State Building, and complimentary breakfast. Highly recommend this hotel for your NYC travels. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Junior Suites are very spacious, but note their is no full separation (no wall between lounge and be...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Matt J.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was pleased to read that you found our location and the size of our rooms perfect for your needs. I was also happy to know that you enjoyed our continental buffet breakfast. I will certainly pass your comments on to our staff.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally arrange your next reservation.

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Avalon Hotel. We stayed in a deluxe suite for 2 nights in March. The room was large with 2 queen beds and a sitting area. There were 2 TV's in the room, one in the sitting area and the other by the beds. The bathroom was large with both a shower and separate bath tub. The room was clean and you could hear very little city noise. The staff was courteous and helpful. The subway station is very close by. We walked to Time Square and Grand Central Station from the hotel. There are many restaurants close by. The hotel offers breakfast but does not have room service. I definitely recommend this hotel for families because of the large rooms and great value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Miamimomfl,

I was happy to read that our hotel's location, room size and amenities were perfect for your needs. I hope you will have another opportunity to visit Manhattan and that we will have the privilege of hosting you again.

When you are ready to make another reservation, please contact my office directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Michael R.

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!