“Great Spot, Great People!” 5 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast 2015
Ranked #69 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wichita, Kansas
“Great Spot, Great People!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We just visited NYC for our 6th annual spring break family trip. We are pretty particular about what hotel we stay at but this year we decided to stay in a different location and couldn't be happier with our choice. We have a daughter with special needs and we have to pack a lot to get her through the week. We also need a clean room since her immune system is compromised. We stayed in the junior suite (great price) at the Avalon and not only was it huge compared to most hotel rooms in NYC, it was very clean with dust free laminate floors. Perfect all around for us. Checking in was pretty easy and then Curtis, the doorman, did a fabulous job settling us into our room. He even anticipated our needs and had someone come up and prepare the pullout sofa for our son. The location is outstanding as well. All kinds of nearby subways and we could see the Empire State Building lit up for St. Patrick's Day from our window. We will be staying at the Avalon for years to come.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear hilaryannl,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was thrilled to read that you had decided to stay at our hotel for your sixth annual spring break trip. I am happy we lived up to and exceeded your expectations. What I was most pleased to hear was how you felt you and your family were treated and taken care of - in particular your daughter. I am proud of the Avalon Hotel - especially the staff and was glad to hear that everyone - expecially Curtis - took good care of you and your family. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to him and the rest of the staff.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Michael R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sandwich, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed here this week for business as my client was around the corner on Madison, This hotel was very convenient to Penn station. The room was very large even for outside NYC standards. The staff was super attentive and friendly. The little coffee shop outside to the left is gear too...yummy muffins. Plan to bring my family to NYC and stay here

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Laura C.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was thrilled to read that you found our hotel's rooms, amenities and location perfect for your needs. I was also most happy to learn that you will be bringing your family here on your next trip.
I am honored that we will have the privledge to host you once again.

When you are ready to book your next trip to Manhattan and the Avalon Hotel, please contact my office directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Pennsauken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

First impressions are great. Lobby is lovely, go through to a lounge area with a little nook off to the side with computers & coffee machine. Upon arrival at 1.00pm, check in was slow & our room wasn't ready & wouldn't be until around 3:00pm., so out & about we went. It wasn't hard to kill time in the area the hotel is situated in. Back to the hotel at 3:30 & we still had to wait as they had to check if our room was ready.....trek up to the 8th floor & oops, wrong room. We booked a smoking junior & they put us in a non smoking. Call down to the lobby rectified the problem quickly. Room was large with 2 flat screen tv's & 2 very comfy queen size beds. Room was a little noisy come 7:00am with a construction site next door. Windows were a little draughty but that was counteracted by cranking up the heat. Overall a pleasant stay in a value for $$$ hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Auss1e63,

Please accept my sincere apology surrounding the opportunities you encountered during your stay with us. They certainly are not typical of the service here at the Avalon. Unlike many hotels in Manhattan, our windows can be opened, but also need to be closed tightly to minimize noise and draughts.

I am happy to know that you did find our location perfect for your needs and your overall stay was pleasant.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, I hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again. If so, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

After reading mulitple positive reviews on TripAdvisor I decided this was the right hotel choice. And it didn't disappoint! Considering the high cost for quality lodging in the middle Manhatton area, the nightly rate beat most of the competition (especially if you're lucky enough to grab one of their winter specials). Other great features include friendly staff, spacious junior suites, quiet evenings, great location across from the Empire State Building, and complimentary breakfast. Highly recommend this hotel for your NYC travels. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Junior Suites are very spacious, but note their is no full separation (no wall between lounge and be...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Matt J.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was pleased to read that you found our location and the size of our rooms perfect for your needs. I was also happy to know that you enjoyed our continental buffet breakfast. I will certainly pass your comments on to our staff.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally arrange your next reservation.

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Avalon Hotel. We stayed in a deluxe suite for 2 nights in March. The room was large with 2 queen beds and a sitting area. There were 2 TV's in the room, one in the sitting area and the other by the beds. The bathroom was large with both a shower and separate bath tub. The room was clean and you could hear very little city noise. The staff was courteous and helpful. The subway station is very close by. We walked to Time Square and Grand Central Station from the hotel. There are many restaurants close by. The hotel offers breakfast but does not have room service. I definitely recommend this hotel for families because of the large rooms and great value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Miamimomfl,

I was happy to read that our hotel's location, room size and amenities were perfect for your needs. I hope you will have another opportunity to visit Manhattan and that we will have the privilege of hosting you again.

When you are ready to make another reservation, please contact my office directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Port Talbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We (a family of 4) stayed here in Feb/March 2014 for four nights. We chose this hotel, after a lot of research here on Trip Advisor, as this hotel seemed to stand out for us, amongst the rest. We wanted to make this a memorable family trip to celebrate a 50th, 21st & 18th birthday. We had booked two Junior Suites and after hearing we were here for celebrations one of our rooms as up-graded to an Executive Junior Suite and complementary goodies left in each room. Both rooms had two Queen beds, which were really comfortable especially after a long day sightseeing. The hotel was in a quiet spot and both rooms were very spacious with wood floors, flat screens and were spotlessly clean and are serviced every day. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and made you feel at home, there was a free hot drinks machine and computers in a cosy lounge with comfy armchairs and a 'log fire', which was very welcoming in the bitter cold weather we had. The location couldn't have been better, Empire State Building was around the corner Macys two streets away and a 20 minute walk to Time Square. Ideal location for Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and the 33rd St subway. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going to New York, couldn't fault it for a Four star hotel in New York.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Snows13,

First, please accept my congratulations and good wishes to those who celebrated their 50th, 21st and 18th birthdays with us. I wish you many more to come.

I was very happy to read that you and your family were well taken care of here at the Avalon and we were able to be a part of such special celebrations. I was also pleased to learn that you found our hotel, location and amenities perfect for your needs. Additionally, I will pass your kind comments from you on to our staff.

Should you plan a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed in this hotel near Empire State Building during cold period in New York. The room was large; the breakfast delicious. Due to bad weather I had to return one day earlier and the hotel easily changed my reservation.Prior I have stayed in other hotel but to this one I will surely return on my next trip

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Hansamdam,

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel spacious and was able to partake in - and enjoy - our continential buffet breakfast.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservation.

Michael R.

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!