“Book it!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Book it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This was our fourth trip to NY and our first stay with the Avalon. We stayed for 5 night and were really pleased with our choice of hotel. The staff were great from the receptionists, the cleaning staff and Abby on the door who was a perfect gentleman! We had an issue with the smoke detector in our room which the maintenance staff resolved within minutes. Everyone was really pleasant and helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and bright. Perhaps the most comfortable bed we have slept in in NY! We will definitely return and would recommend it as the perfect mid town location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear ReviewerC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you find our hotel perfect for your needs and that you love how comfortable our beds are. I am most thrilled to hear that our staff was pleasant and helpful - especially Abby. I will be sure to share your kind words to him and the rest of our staff.

When you plan to return to Manhattan again, please contact me as I wish to handle your reservation personally.

Michael R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Essen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

In the heart of Midtown Manhattan, between 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue, is the wonderful Boutique Hotel Avalon located. It's an excellent starting point for exploring New York or to get to the Empire State Building or Madison Square Garden.

If you know some of NY's hotel-rooms, we had a ball-room in the Avalon. Our room was very spacious with two very comfortable beds and even two televisions. But who needs the TVs in New York, the city, that never sleeps? ;-)) The room was very quiet, only the air-condition was noisy, but we stopped it during the night.

BTW: There is only small place for the bath-articles in the bathroom. Would be great, if there were some more space for them.

We had a wonderful stay in this classic boutique Hotel with the very friendly and helpful staff. We could not have a better choice and enjoyed our stay very much and will surely return.

Room Tip: It you turn off the AC for the night the room 1208 is very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Caecilie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I was very happy to read that you found our hotel spacious, comfortable, quiet and the location to 5th and Madison Avenues, as well as the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden perfect for your needs.

Should your travels bring you back to Manhattan in the near future please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Perfect location for a short trip to New York. Right in the centre of town near the Empire State Building, a short walk from Penn Station and close to several metro stations - easy to take public transport from the airport.
Excellent facilities - our room (Junior Suite) was massive by NY standards with two large beds (great linens), large fridge, mini-bar, sofa & free (fast) WIFI. The whole place was spotlessly clean and extremely quiet.
Brekkie was really good, all cold choices but great range of cereals, fresh fruits, pastries, smoothies, eggs, cheese, bagels etc. etc. Sets you up for the day. Lovely little lounge with 24-hour complimentary coffee and not stale old filtered stuff either.
Best thing for us though - we got in a bit of a pickle with our booking but the response from reservations just makes this place stand out from the crowd - highly efficient, friendly but, most of all, I really felt they understood and cared about our booking - thanks so much to all of you for making our stay special - definitely be back.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor (9) and it was blissfully quiet. The junior suite was excellent and I wou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Islandgirlcityboy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

From our location to our amenities, breakfast to our free Wi-Fi, I was very happy to read that you found our hotel to be absolutely perfect for all your needs while visiting NYC. However, I was most pleased to learn that our staff was able to handle your issue quickly, friendly and most importantly in a caring manner. They truly are the heart and soul of our hotel. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to everyone at the hotel.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your future reservation.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our first time in New York so when we arrived to the Hotel it was comforting to be greeted by a lovely man who welcomed us to the hotel. Our luggage was carried inside where we were greeted by an equally polite lady who checked us in.

Our room was on the top floor (a junior exec Suite) and we were very pleased with the room. It had a lovely seating area, very comfortable bed with extra comfortable pillows. There was a fridge in the room where we could store our water and any food.

The bathroom was spacious and very clean and there was always hot water.

We stayed 4 nights and each day we came back to a freshly made room and our bathroom looking like it was never used before.

There was complimentary WIFI however this was the downfall for me. It never worked. Not to worry though as there were two state of the art computers downstairts beside the complimentary tea, coffee and hot chocolate.

Our flight was at a late time so the hotel stored our luggage for the day free of charge.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Location cannnot be better.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is the way to go. Great special offers.
Dear Katie M.,

I am honored you chose us to stay with on your first visit to New York City. I was pleased to read that you found our hotel comfortable and perfectly suited to all your needs, however I was very happy to learn that upon your arrival, and throughout your stay, you found our staff pleasant and polite. Please accept my sincere apologies about the issues you experienced with the Wi-Fi. I have already addressed this issue with our engineering department.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you once again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed her between November 21st and 25th 2013.

Our first impressions of the hotel was magnificent and the concierge greeted us from our transport. We were shown the way to the reception desk where I finally met Jesmin having had email correspondence with her. What a lovely person she is. We were booked in within minutes and in our room within 5 minutes. The concierge only took our luggage after asking(I found this good as at other hotels they have done this without asking and then you feel obliged to tip). He showed us to our room on the 8th floor and I duly tipped him for his help.
The room was a good size and nicely decorated and the bed was sooooo comfortable. It faced the front of the hotel out onto the street but that didn't stop us from sleeping. There was a sign on a stand as we exited the lift saying "please accept our apologies whilst we improve the hotel" the only thing I found in our room was the edging above the fridge needed repainting.
The following morning we had breakfast at the hotel and whilst it seems a little over priced for a breakfast $14.95 plus taxes there is plenty of choice......Note though it is a continental style so don't expect full English etc.... I loved the yogurt/granola/fruit cups.
When we returned to our room we encountered our only problem with the hotel. The toilet over flowed when we flushed...... I phoned the reception and within 5 minutes there was a guy at the door to fix the problem. We left him to it and went out for the day.
We returned to the room late that evening after a full days sightseeing and were ready to hit the sack and unfortunately the same happened with the toilet. I went down to reception where I spoke to Carlos and he said he would get someone to it. I asked if we could be moved room as I wasn't keen on it happening should I need the toilet during the night. He looked through the available rooms and said that he could move us but it would be on the 9th floor. I said this was fine. He just asked for me to ring when they we were ready as he couldn't get me a key as the system had gone down. I returned to our room and we packed. The security guy came up for us 15 minutes later and showed us into our new room. Expecting the same room standard you can imagine our surprise and good fortune to find it was a double deluxe room. which was absolutely massive. This one looked out onto the back of the hotel and was really quiet.
I can only thank you for the lovely upgrade and the bed was just as comfortable as the previous room.
There are no tea/coffee facilities in any of the rooms but it is available from a machine in the library area and is free of charge.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to visit the Big Apple..... It is close enough to a lot of the sights without being in amongst the noise..... The Empire State is literally two minutes walk away....quicker if you didn't have to cross the roads.... Times square is 15 minutes walk and Central Park a steady 20 minute stroll down 5th avenue. Macey's is the other side of the ESB.

Not much else I can say other than what a fantastic place and all the staff(room service/reception/concierges/security) are all a credit to your hotel.

Room Tip: Remember the prices don't include the taxes
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear MJEC,

I was pleased to read that you found our rooms comfortable, spacious and our hotel's location suited your every need. Thank you for your kind comments about Jesmin, our receptionist, I will certainly pass your kind comment on to her.

Please accept my sincere apologies surrounding the issues you had with your toilet, however I am very happy to know that Carlos was able to quickly find you another room and that you enjoyed it more than the first!

When your travel plans call for you to return to Manhattan, I hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again. Please contact me directly so I may handle your reservations personally.

Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed 5 days in June 2013. The location is central in the middle of Koreatown. I prefer to stay in the Village area, but this area is practical if you arrive with train from Penn Station. We had a big room in the 12 floor and had a little south view . The beds are comfortable and it is a lot of store possibilities. The elevator is small so sometimes you have to wait a little. Stay away from the breakfast, eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear ThomasOslo42,

I was pleased to read that your found our location perfect and our rooms spacious and comfortable during your five night stay.

When your travels bring you back to Manhattan, please contact me so I may personally handle your reservations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am so fussy that I pore over website reviews for weeks before I choose accommodation. Avalon will NOT disappoint you , the rooms are superb ( huge. , sofa bed. , 2 tvs) , the location on e32 is perfect for shopping. , theater etc. the staff are very polite ( so unlike nyc !!). I wholeheartedly recommend this gem

Stayed November 2013
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was very happy to read that you found our rooms and location were perfect for your needs. I was particularly thrilled to know that our staff was polite and helpful. They truly are the heart and soul of our hotel.

When your travels bring you back to Manhattan, I hope we will have the honor of hosting you again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Michael R.

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!