“Cherry on the icing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Hotel

You added Avalon Hotel to your Saves list
Avalon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 East 32nd Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2014 Holiday Offer
Ranked #70 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Dublin
“Cherry on the icing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our first time in New York so when we arrived to the Hotel it was comforting to be greeted by a lovely man who welcomed us to the hotel. Our luggage was carried inside where we were greeted by an equally polite lady who checked us in.

Our room was on the top floor (a junior exec Suite) and we were very pleased with the room. It had a lovely seating area, very comfortable bed with extra comfortable pillows. There was a fridge in the room where we could store our water and any food.

The bathroom was spacious and very clean and there was always hot water.

We stayed 4 nights and each day we came back to a freshly made room and our bathroom looking like it was never used before.

There was complimentary WIFI however this was the downfall for me. It never worked. Not to worry though as there were two state of the art computers downstairts beside the complimentary tea, coffee and hot chocolate.

Our flight was at a late time so the hotel stored our luggage for the day free of charge.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Location cannnot be better.

Room Tip: Junior Suite is the way to go. Great special offers.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Katie M.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I am honored you chose us to stay with on your first visit to New York City. I was pleased to read that you found our hotel comfortable and perfectly suited to all your needs, however I was very happy to learn that upon your arrival, and throughout your stay, you found our staff pleasant and polite. Please accept my sincere apologies about the issues you experienced with the Wi-Fi. I have already addressed this issue with our engineering department.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you once again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Michael R.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed her between November 21st and 25th 2013.

Our first impressions of the hotel was magnificent and the concierge greeted us from our transport. We were shown the way to the reception desk where I finally met Jesmin having had email correspondence with her. What a lovely person she is. We were booked in within minutes and in our room within 5 minutes. The concierge only took our luggage after asking(I found this good as at other hotels they have done this without asking and then you feel obliged to tip). He showed us to our room on the 8th floor and I duly tipped him for his help.
The room was a good size and nicely decorated and the bed was sooooo comfortable. It faced the front of the hotel out onto the street but that didn't stop us from sleeping. There was a sign on a stand as we exited the lift saying "please accept our apologies whilst we improve the hotel" the only thing I found in our room was the edging above the fridge needed repainting.
The following morning we had breakfast at the hotel and whilst it seems a little over priced for a breakfast $14.95 plus taxes there is plenty of choice......Note though it is a continental style so don't expect full English etc.... I loved the yogurt/granola/fruit cups.
When we returned to our room we encountered our only problem with the hotel. The toilet over flowed when we flushed...... I phoned the reception and within 5 minutes there was a guy at the door to fix the problem. We left him to it and went out for the day.
We returned to the room late that evening after a full days sightseeing and were ready to hit the sack and unfortunately the same happened with the toilet. I went down to reception where I spoke to Carlos and he said he would get someone to it. I asked if we could be moved room as I wasn't keen on it happening should I need the toilet during the night. He looked through the available rooms and said that he could move us but it would be on the 9th floor. I said this was fine. He just asked for me to ring when they we were ready as he couldn't get me a key as the system had gone down. I returned to our room and we packed. The security guy came up for us 15 minutes later and showed us into our new room. Expecting the same room standard you can imagine our surprise and good fortune to find it was a double deluxe room. which was absolutely massive. This one looked out onto the back of the hotel and was really quiet.
I can only thank you for the lovely upgrade and the bed was just as comfortable as the previous room.
There are no tea/coffee facilities in any of the rooms but it is available from a machine in the library area and is free of charge.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to visit the Big Apple..... It is close enough to a lot of the sights without being in amongst the noise..... The Empire State is literally two minutes walk away....quicker if you didn't have to cross the roads.... Times square is 15 minutes walk and Central Park a steady 20 minute stroll down 5th avenue. Macey's is the other side of the ESB.

Not much else I can say other than what a fantastic place and all the staff(room service/reception/concierges/security) are all a credit to your hotel.

Room Tip: Remember the prices don't include the taxes
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear MJEC,

I was pleased to read that you found our rooms comfortable, spacious and our hotel's location suited your every need. Thank you for your kind comments about Jesmin, our receptionist, I will certainly pass your kind comment on to her.

Please accept my sincere apologies surrounding the issues you had with your toilet, however I am very happy to know that Carlos was able to quickly find you another room and that you enjoyed it more than the first!

When your travel plans call for you to return to Manhattan, I hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again. Please contact me directly so I may handle your reservations personally.

Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed 5 days in June 2013. The location is central in the middle of Koreatown. I prefer to stay in the Village area, but this area is practical if you arrive with train from Penn Station. We had a big room in the 12 floor and had a little south view . The beds are comfortable and it is a lot of store possibilities. The elevator is small so sometimes you have to wait a little. Stay away from the breakfast, eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear ThomasOslo42,

I was pleased to read that your found our location perfect and our rooms spacious and comfortable during your five night stay.

When your travels bring you back to Manhattan, please contact me so I may personally handle your reservations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am so fussy that I pore over website reviews for weeks before I choose accommodation. Avalon will NOT disappoint you , the rooms are superb ( huge. , sofa bed. , 2 tvs) , the location on e32 is perfect for shopping. , theater etc. the staff are very polite ( so unlike nyc !!). I wholeheartedly recommend this gem

Stayed November 2013
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was very happy to read that you found our rooms and location were perfect for your needs. I was particularly thrilled to know that our staff was polite and helpful. They truly are the heart and soul of our hotel.

When your travels bring you back to Manhattan, I hope we will have the honor of hosting you again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

It is actually almost a year ago when we have stayed at Avalon NYC, but it just came into my mind what a great stop over we had at this "small great" hotel shortly after Christmas.
We arrived late evening and where welcomed in a small cozy lobby which had a great christmas decoration. Staff were very friendly, check in forms was already prepared, which made our check in quiet fast.
Our room was very big (for NYC I guess above average size) and the bed extremely comfortable.
I would recommend this hotel to everybody who wants to stay for few days in NYC, especially during christmas.
The hotel gave us great value for money.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GERTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I am thrilled you thought of the Avalon as your hotel in Manhattan. I was pleased to read that you found everything ready ahead of your arrival and your check-in was quick. I am also happy to know that you find our rooms comfortable and spacious, but in particular that our staff is very friendly. They are the heart and soul of our hotel.

When your travels bring you back to New York City, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We felt like at home due to the excellent and exceptionnal staff and due to the very Nice room of the hotel.
Everyone in the staff is taking care of you and is doign the best for you.
It is a personnal treatment and you feel Like at home .
Many thanks to Mickael R,
Antonio,
The whole team at the réception and the rest of the staff.
Thanks to you it was a perfect stay again and we loved it.
The perfect location is a plus too.
Definitely my place in new York.
It s worth a 5 stars hotel.
It was a pure pleasure being there ,

• Stayed November 2013
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Nolan D.,

I was pleased to read that you find the Avalon like your home-away-from-home and that the hotel's location suited your needs. I was very particularly happy to read that you found our staff excellent and exceptional in particular Antonio. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to him.

As always, when your travels bring you back to Manhattan, please contact me so I may personally handle your reservations.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I have stayed at the Avalon Hotel numerous times. It is one of the few hotels that can deftly accommodate families, business travelers and couples. The hotel rooms are spacious, clean and quiet each time I've stayed. But what separates this hotel from the many other options are the staff- from the doormen, to the hotel clerks, to the reservationists and management.

I had requested an early check in and rather than be suitably snubbed, was accommodated by Andrew, who was so helpful on the phone. To my surprise, when I got in the room there was cookies and sparkling water. I'm not a high roller, but I sure felt like one.

I highly recommend this room. My only worry is that with all the great reviews, they will be booked up!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Mark H.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent return visit at the Avalon Hotel New York.

It is always a pleasure having you at the Avalon. I am pleased you find that our hotel is perfect for everyone - families, business travelers and couples, as well as spacious, clean and quiet. I am particularly happy to hear that you find our entire staff incredibly helpful, especially Andrew.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservation.

Michael R.

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!