“perfect stay and perfect staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Hotel

Save Saved
You added Avalon Hotel to your Saves list
Avalon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 East 32nd Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2014 Fall Promotion
Ranked #88 of 449 hotels in New York City
Paris, France
“perfect stay and perfect staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

i stayed for the 2 nd time within a year in avalon,
as usual everyhing was perfect ,
very nice room with a perfect view in a calm environment,
perfect staff and very helful by proviidng hot water for my mum's tea,

the beds are perfect , the location is amazing and everything is done to feel like your home

i hope to come again in november if prices go done as it was a big promo when i came in february 2013 ,
:-)
i recommend a lot this lovely and beautiful hotel

a tea maker can be add in the room and this will be the top

but thanks a lot for this wonderful experience,

i will choose the avalon each time if i come again

Room Tip: a nice room with a nice view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Nolan D.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. Your thoughts and comments are most appreciated.

I was very pleased to learn that your 2nd stay with us was everything you expected from us. I am happy to know that you found our rooms comfortable and calming, the beds and location perfect and most importantly our staff friendly and accommodating.

We hope you will return in November, however whenever that is we will make sure to provide you with a tea kettle so your mom can make tea anytime she wishes.

Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your future reservation.

623 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were warmly welcomed by Jessie at the front desk, he provided lots of tips to visit New York.
The room was spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable to sleep in.
The hotel is located in the immediate vicinity of the Empire State building and 2 subway stations are close by too: In no time you are on Times Square.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Peter T.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments and feedback are most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our room spacious, the beds comfortable and our location suited your needs. I was especially thrilled to learn that Jesse, at the Front Office, was incredibility helpful and made your visit to Manhattan enjoyable.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please contact me so I may personally oversee your reservations.

Warmest regards
Folsom, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Celebrated my birthday with an 8 night stay at the Avalon. It could not have been a better experience. The size of the room was amazing. I have never stayed in a larger hotel room. I visit New York at least once a year and I wish I had known about the Avalon years ago. Besides this hotel being spacious, clean and quiet, it is just steps from the uptown bus, the downtown bus, the Empire State Building and Macy's. The staff was so friendly, helpful and patient. I always got a pleasant greeting from every staff member I encountered. I did not hear one sound from adjoining rooms. That, in itself, is a small miracle. The beds and pillows were so comfortable. After a long day of exploring, it was heaven to come back for a long soak in the separate large tub. There was room to spread out. The sitting room included another television, desk, mini bar, sofa sleeper, coffee table and 2 end tables. I loved everything about my experience. I absolutely did not mind paying more than I have ever paid in NYC. It was worth every penny and then some. This is now my go-to spot in New York and I will recommend the Avalon to everyone I know. Can't wait to visit there again. My advice to all travelers is skip the hotels in and around Times Square and spend your down time in quiet luxury at the Avalon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 32nd Street side are probably a bit noisier because of construction happening just down...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Vicki W.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments are most appreciated.

I am certainly happy to learn that you enjoyed your 8 night stay and chose the Avalon to celebrate your birthday in Manhattan. I am thrilled that you found our rooms spacious, clean and quiet, our location and amenities exceeded your expectations, but most importantly that our staff was friendly and helpful. Our staff are truly the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Should your plans call for another trip to New York City, I hope we will have the honor of hosting you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally oversee your future reservations.

SF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is by far the most we've ever spent on a hotel. It's not cheap, by any means, but I suppose for NYC it's not anywhere near the top end either. But for our visit it was worth every penny.
I agree with all the other positive reviews, that this is like a hidden treasure in NYC. It's super comfortable and well appointed without being at all snobby. The rooms are massive for NYC, the sitting area was excellent for chilling out after walking all day. The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The espresso maker gives you high quality drinks all day. The staff were all great. Location can't be beat. You can walk to everything. If you can afford it and like to have a nice place to relax after being out and about all day, this is the place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AW,

I am certainly happy to learn that you you foundthe Avalon to be a 'hidden treasure' in Manhattan. I am thrilled that you found our rooms spacious, clean and quiet, our location and amenities exceeded your expectations, but most importantly that our staff was friendly and helpful. Our staff are truly the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

As NYC hotels go, this is not the least expensive hotel by any means, but the rooms are definitely more spacious than most. Very few hotels will provide a comfortable sitting area and room to actually walk around. It's also impeccably clean and well-maintained. I was actually surprised how quiet the rooms were given the hardwood floors, but I am a light sleeper (who always travels with earplugs) and I never heard a sound at night! In fairness, we were on the 11th floor, but it was a very pleasant sleeping experience.

One thing I always like to know before traveling is the closest drugstore (attention carry-on people!). As luck would have it, there is 24-hour CVS less than half a block away!

One minor issue was that we'd booked a Queen-sized bed and were originally given a room with 2 double beds (a lovely room, nonetheless). However, my husband is extremely tall, which is why I always book at least a Queen. Although my reservation very clearly stated that I had reserved a Queen bed, the Front Desk clerk told my husband that this wasn't guaranteed (contrary to what my saved reservation indicated). We ended up having to pay more for an upgrade. It wasn't a substantial difference, but given that this departed from what was stated in the reservation, we should have been given the room. It wasn't a big deal, though. They were very polite about it.

Regardless, the staff was friendly and professional, and there were very lovely public spaces. The complimentary coffee throughout the morning (and day, I suspect) off the lobby was a nice touch. We had breakfast included, and it was a banquet room used as a breakfast area, with lovely background music (REAL music, quiet jazz, etc.) for a nice morning experience. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Bluegrassdog,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. Your comments are most appreciated.

I am pleased to know that you found our rooms exceeded your expectations and that our location was perfect for you. I am very happy to know that you found our staff friendly and professional and enjoyed many of our amenities.

Please accept my apologies for the room discrepancy. I personally messaged you on your TripAdvisor email in hopes to resolve the issue.

Should your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Warmest regards
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just got back from 4 days at the Avalon. We were there picking up my daughers wedding dress at Kleinfelds. We are in NYC at least once or twice a year and stay at different hotels or apartments. The Avalon is far superior to anything else. The staff are incredibly friendly, breakfast was perfect and our junior suite had more than we could imagine. HUGE for a NY room. The location is just perfect. Can come and go all day dropping off your shopping bags. We now know that there is only one place to stay in NYC and the Avalon will be where we will be. Thank you A+A+A+

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Holdner,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent four day stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

Let me first congratulate you and your daughter on her upcoming nuptials. We wish her all the best.

I was pleased to hear that you find our hotel the perfect "home-away-from-home" while visiting Manhattan. I am glad to know that you found our rooms, in particular the junior suite you stayed in, and our breakfast exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your kind comments on our staff. I will certainly pass your praise on to them.

On your next visit to the Avalon Hotel New York, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations. Looking forward to your next visit.

Maidenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in a junior suite for a 3 night break. Excellent room, although the air conditioning was noisy. The staff could not do enough. including recommending local restaurants, giving coupons to skip the queues at the Empire State Building and booking an early morning car service to JFK.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear HesitantTurtle,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your three night stay in our junior suite. I am particularly pleased that you found our staff friendly and incredibly helpful. They are certainly the heart and soul of the Avalon Hotel New York. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the air conditioning. I have notified engineering and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

We look forward to your return to Manhattan and the Avalon. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your next reservation.

Michael R.

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!