“Excellent hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Hotel

You added Avalon Hotel to your Saves list
Avalon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16 East 32nd Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2014 Holiday Offer
Ranked #70 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed in the Avalon for 5 nights. I could not believe the size of the room in the middle of New York, we had a junior suite with two double beds, couch, table and plenty of storage space. The bathroom was also quite large.

This is an ideal place to stay if you are going to New York for shopping or sight seeing. You are 20 paces away from 5th Avenue and all that entails and also only a stones throw away from Macy's and 34th st.

I did not have must interaction with the staff but any that I did meet were very helpful.

Just one thing missing no tea or coffee maker but there is a starbucks not far away and other coffee shops quite near.

I will definitely stay here again when next in New York.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel and I could not believe how there was no traffic noise. Do a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Susie 60713,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoying the spacious accommodations and the central location.
I regret we did a bad job of communitcation about our coffee service as it is available during breakfast, but also free from 11am to 4ppm. I would also like to recommend Cafe M, just down the block, who serves La Columbe coffee and pastries for Balthazar.
The rooms and suites at the rear of the hotel are indeed quieter and I hope you will not hesitate to contact my office when making plans for your return trip. I would like to personally oversee your accommodations .
Warm regards from the Avalon Team, and best wishes for a pleasant fall.
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have stayed with my family at this hotel for 4 or 5 times now, so every time we visit New York we choose this hotel. Very good, clean and spacious rooms. The bathrooms are big and clean as well. The location is perfect, a walking distance from nearly everything you might want to see in New York (if on a shopping/family vacation), The Empire State Building is just around the corner as well as Macys and the shops on 5th Ave.

The breakfast that used to be served in the restaurant right next to the lobby was always great, but last time we visited the Avalon (03/2012) the breakfast wasn't served there and was in many ways a dissappointment for us.
The staff is mainly friendly and a big extra thank you goes to the doormen, who are always happy to help and give the best advice on where to go to eat etc. (And who always remember us when we come back every year) They are a big reason why we always come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Rooms that are on higher floors are more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear LS,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your most recent stay at the Avalon. We are dellighted you decided to come back and we appreciate your coments and suggestions.
I will pass long your comments to the rest of my colleagues as they really enjoy hearing from our guests.
I hope you will contact my office directly should your plans include a return trip to Manhattan as I would like to personally oversee your accommodations. In addition to the higher floors, the Junior Double Suites, the Junior Queen Suites and the Deluxe King Suites are on the rear of the building and are quieter. They also enjoy southern exposure in the afternoons.
Best wishes for a pleasant fall,
Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We recently stayed at the Avalon hotel and we could not have been happier with a hotel. First of all the room was really clean which is very important in our opinion. The rooms are also big compared to a New York hotel. It is also perfectly located, right next to Empire State and there are also a lot of shops and restaurants around the hotel. The staff at the hotel was also very helpful and friendly and we felt really welcome by everyone. We highly recommend this hotel for anyone that is travelling to NY and we will definitely go there again the next time we visit New York.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Sunna H,
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to be at your service and we would look forward to welcoming you back soon. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again and I hope you will contact my office directly so I can personnally handle your accommodations.
Warm wishes,
Liverpool, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The room was nice, hard to make a reservation by phone... kept getting voicemail and no call-back.
The staff said that their restaurant would be reopening soon but in the meantime they had a continental breakfast for $14.95 per person on the 2nd floor. Too pricy when all I wanted was a cup of coffee while I got ready.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear LpoolDogLover,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I value your comments and will share this feedback with my associates. There is no excuse for the delays and inconvenience you experienced and I will look into these matters personally. Please be assured this is not the level of service nor the standard of accommodation we are striving to deliver. I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies along with those of my team.
Should your plans include a return trip to New York, we would be honored to have you return and I would like to look after your accommodations personally.
Best wishes for a pleasant autumn,
Stockbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked this hotel after referencing this very site - a first for us. It was, as others have said, a superb hotel in a first-class location, possessing friendly staff who are eager to please and help. When we arrived the receptionist furnished us with just the right amount of maps and brochures, and gave us all the information we needed; she covered every base.

Right on the edge of 5th Ave and with easy access to the MTA either at 33rd St or 34 St, or busses to downtown, this hotel is ideally placed to see the entire inventory of attractions New York has to offer.

The rooms are excellent and even the junior suite was big enough for a family of 4 (2 older teens) to enjoy a 5 night stay. So helpful are the staff that when we originally booked and then changed our plans to reduce our NYC stay by one night, the hotel called us in UK when we had difficulty amending our stay online.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel in any respect and I am fussy! Good value for money, quiet and, as I think I said before, a first-class location! Would I return - most certainly.

My only criticism, one which is very minor, is tea and coffee are only available in the lobby area from 11am to 4pm daily but that is when most people will be out and about. I would like to see this extended to evenings and/or mornings.

Room Tip: Go for the suite, its a great size.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Andy S,
We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay at the Avalon. Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay.
My associates will be very pleased to read about your visit and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Should your plans include a return trip, please contact my office directly so I can personally oversee your reservations.
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I am very picky when it comes to hotels as I'm a neat freak person.
After looking at over 50 hotels in New York myself and 2 adolescent children decided on the Avalon Hotel mainly because the floors are in parquet and the rooms are very large.

The hotel is a great central location between 5th Avenue and Maddison.
We booked a junior suit with two double beds 6 weeks ahead and had 15% discount on a total of 9 nights stay. We were very satisfied with it.
The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms very clean!

We did not take breakfast at the hotel as we eat very little and might be a waste to pay $23 per person and not to be able to enjoy a full breakfast but I'm sure it is equally excellent.

All the receptionists are extremely helpful and likewise the bellmen.

I highly recommend this hotel. I will definately stay here whenever I visit New York.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Doris Switzerland,
We are very happy you enjoyed our hotel and can't thank you enough for the wonderful review. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we hope you will return sometime soon. If your plans include a return trip to New York, I would be very pleased to personally oversee your reservation. We would like to extend a courtesy upgrade for your stay.
Somehow we miscommunicated on the price of our buffet breakfast, as it is $14.95 per person, not $23, and there is no charge for children under 12. We also have a package that includes breakfast and a 10% discount if you book a Junior Suite or higher.
Many thanks and warmest regards from one and all at the Avalon.
Hudson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a centrally located, independent hotel. And, for a good price. We found the Avalon's website offering a special summer package including breakfast with an additional 20% discount off the rate for booking a suite. Its a very good hotel for the rates they charge and feature lots of niceties that we enjoy. Free wifi, Aveda amenities, HUGE rooms, all cotton sheets, and offer personal service because they only have 100 rooms. I never knew there was a Koreatown, but was happy to learn we were on the same street. It was a short walk from Penn Station and it was exciting to be one block from the Empire State Building.

Room Tip: The Executive Suites have jacuzzi tubs, separate shower stalls, and even a bidet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Harold T,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed it so much and liked our location. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the rest of our team. Should your future plans include a trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact my office directly so that I can personally oversee your accommodations.
Warm regards,
Michael Rawson

Been to Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!