“Don't stay here if you need to sleep!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcel at Gramercy

You added The Marcel at Gramercy to your Saves list
The Marcel at Gramercy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 East 24th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #205 of 458 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't stay here if you need to sleep!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2004

I have stayed at the Marcel several times over the years since it was refurbished. When I first stayed there it was a relatively quiet (given the location) and undiscovered hotel offering good rates. The upper floors had just been refurbished and although some of the rooms are small they were all furnished to a high standard, with good bathrooms. Since then however I have noticed a marked decline in standards, to the extent that I will no longer stay there. The main problem is the bar and nightclub that operates on the ground floor and basement of the hotel. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights it's impossible to sleep because of the constant thump thump of the music. One night I stayed there the music continued until 3am, and I had to get up at 5am to catch a flight home. On subsequent stays I requested a room on higher floors but even then there's the noise made by clubbers leaving the hotel in the early hours, the taxis and cars that pick them up, and accompanying shrieking and shouting. I've also noticed that the hotel, which was originally marketed as an upmarket business hotel, is now favoured by teenagers and as a result there was a lot of nocturnal thumping, banging doors and running about. On my last stay I ended up going to stay with some friends nearby just to get a decent night's sleep!

This is for me the main issue with the hotel, that the hotel management are trying to run a nightclub at the same time as presenting the hotel as a superior destination for business travellers, which it isn't. There's also the problem that there's only one v-e-r-y slow lift, so you can end up waiting up to ten minutes just to leave the hotel; the staff are friendly enough by New York standards but things often seem disorganised, and the bar doubles as the breakfast room so looks pretty shabby and worse for wear the mornings after the nights before.

My recommendation would be: great if you're under 20 and not looking to sleep, but if you are older and want a decent night's sleep, stay elsewhere.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Greek first
Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2004

Stayed at the Marcel for 1 night a month ago. Was quite happy to check out the following morning. And even happier that I had followed the gut feeling I had got from other TripAdvisor users and cancelled the other 6 nights I had booked at first. The room we got was small and very dark - window facing a brick wall - and the 'design' was nowhere to be found. Can't complain on the service as we really didn't get any. All in all, you can do a lot better in NYC - even in the same area as the Marcel. I can truly recommend the Park South Hotel - very nice rooms, great breakfast, excellent service and location (close to the no 6 subway line).

Chigwell, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2004

Getting a hotel for the marathon weekend was always going to be difficult and after reading the reviews I was worried about staying at The Marcel however the accommodation was fine for what we required. We were hardly in the place, who wants to lounge around a hotel when you have the City to explore; coffee and breakfast were provided but why use it when you can have a mountain of food and re-fills in the dinners close by? At least you had the option.....

The staff were friendly and helpful when getting cabs and with luggage. No problems with the water temperature. Rooms were on the small side but for the location what do you expect?

This hotel isn't the best in Manhattan but for a short break and at a reasonable price compared to the other hotels for that weekend, I'd go back.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2004

My wife and I recently stayed at the Marcel for four nights. I had read other reviews here, both good and bad, and remained optimistic for our stay. Too bad, we should have rebooked our stay at another property.

On our first day we arrived early and the hotel stowed our bags until check-in. When we returned we were checked into room 312. Our room was very small (15 feet by 15 feet) and had a queen bed with one small closet, a small bathroom, and one window. We immediately noticed the room was hot, stuffy, and dry. The room had a hvac unit under the window, and we turned on the AC. The AC unit got cold but it's fan did not blow air into the room. Even with the window open it was impossible to get a draft going. When we called the front desk they were unsympathetic and said there was nothing they could do. Eventually the room cooled off, but it was still stuffy and dry. We woke up every morning with dry sinuses and throats.

The room was clean, but in need of repairs. There were some gashes in the wallpaper and the roman shade was frayed on the edges and difficult to operate. The lighting in the room was dim, and there was no workspace area. The bed was comfortable, the sheets and towels clean, and the bathroom's water pressure was good and the water temperature was hot. There is plenty of audible street noise in the room, but it's New York, what do you expect?

We tried the coffee machine in the lobby and it was awful. It is not maintained regularly and operates poorly. There is a Starbuck's one block away and well worth the walk. The hotel's breakfast of bagels and juice are average. They also provide copies of the Financial Times each morning in the lobby.

Overall, this hotel should be two stars. It is trying to be a boutique hotel when it is clearly a budget hotel and an overpriced one at that. Any photos on the internet have clearly undergone some photoshop magic. My guess is that some rooms fair better than others, if you are willing to take that chance. We did not complain too much because it was a business trip and the room was prepaid. However, we would not stay here again as there are much better properties to stay at in the same price range or less (Habitat NYC, On The Ave, and the Roger Williams to name a few).

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!