“Good Hotel Central Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcel at Gramercy

Save Saved
You added The Marcel at Gramercy to your Saves list
The Marcel at Gramercy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 East 24th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #196 of 449 hotels in New York City
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel Central Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just got back from trip to New York and Boston. We stayed at the hotel from 26.9.13 to 29.9.13. We were a party of six across 3 rooms. We all had a great time. The hotel is clean and well presented. I would like to especially mention the reception and door staff. They were helpful polite and made you feel welcome. I would like to thank Britney as she really helped with booking and explaining things. I lost my phone at JFK and she tried all ways to get in contact. I did get my phone back thankfully. I will go back to New York and will not hesitiate to go back to the Marcel at Gramercy.

Room Tip: Go higher up if possible as noisy take ear plugs but the same in all hotels.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Debbie L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are so happy that you got your phone back! We hope to see you all again soon!

1,418 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently stayed at Marcel due to my daughter needing to be close to Baruch College for a martial arts tournament. We'd never stayed in that area before and I was hesitant but it was necessary. We were so pleasantly surprised by the outstanding level of service provided by all of the staff. They made every effort to accommodate our many requests and gave us a lovely room on the 11th floor. Brittany at the front desk and Mohammed (bell captain) were especially helpful. Upon returning to the hotel each day, we were greeted with "how did your daughter do today." They really remember the guests and go out of their way to be helpful. Whenever we needed something, we usually received it within just a few minutes. There was an issue with the WIFI on the second to last day and we couldn't print our boarding passes. Forgive me but I don't remember the lady's name at the front desk that was so helpful in taking the information down and printing them for us so we'd have them upon check out. Then, without my even putting on my "I'm annoyed, give me compensation" hat, she produced complimentary breakfast passes for our last morning. That was so nice!

The hotel itself is small and felt more like coming in to a nice apartment building. If you want someplace large with a lot of amenities, than this probably won't be the best for you but we didn't need that. As far as comfort and cleanliness, they get an A+.

The only negative is more related to the design in trying to be very trendy. There are no drawers in the furniture in the room so, other than hanging clothes, we lived out of the suitcases (three of us were there for five days). Also, the bathroom was small and had a modern sink which didn't have a counter around it. There were wall shelves but in order to put on makeup, I had to put a towel down in the sink so I could put my makeup somewhere accessible.

Other than these design flaws (and they might not have been an issue for a man), we really loved staying there. The next time we go to NY, it will be our first choice, not a choice made out of necessity.

Room Tip: Ask for room on high floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Penny D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay (and were impressed with how well your daughter did!) and are very excited to welcome you back! We hope to see you again soon!
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I've been a guest at the Marcel for the second time in a month. I stayed there towards the end of August for 5 days (thanks to a great AAA discount). The staff was extremely response and helpful specifically Brittany W. and Doris Chan at the front desk and the Bellman, Tenzin. The second most recent trip was unplanned and I booked in an emergency when I needed a place to stay ASAP after an AirBnB booking went south. Worried that I could not get a room on a Friday night after 10 pm, I called (as I remember how satisfied I was during my last visit ) and was lucking as they had an availability that said evening. In getting to the hotel within the hour, I was greeted warmly by Doris, who surprisingly remembered me on sight. As before my stay was excellent and on check out the next morning, I left my bag for pick up later that evening after a meeting, at which time I was assisted in getting a cab to the train station by Tenzin. Amazing warm staff, stylish and comfortable hotel (not to mention the bed sleeps like a dream). If my budget could afford it, I would stay at the Marcel every time I'm in NYC (which in my case is twice a month). Definitely looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main hallways on the 6th floor and with windows facing other buildings on the 2n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Maxine M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate all of your kind words! We think our staff is pretty amazing as well and appreciate you sharing that with others! We hope to see you again soon!
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a pleasant enough stay at The Marcel- it's everything you'd expect from a Manhattan boutique hotel. The main gripe was the size of the room- as others have said, very small. We were told upon check in that we had been upgraded so that made the shoebox they showed us to first even more disappointing! As we were on honeymoon we decided to give it a go and not let it spoil things, but after a night of stubbing my toe on the desk everytime I got up for the bathroom (there was less than a foot of space between the desk and foot of the bed) we called the front desk and asked to be moved. They originally told us no, so we had to call back a couple of times, but eventually they moved us to a room that was a much better size. Also the air con was very noisy, but not so much it really effected our sleep much once we got used to it- it did help that the beds were very comfortable!

We were there for a fortnight and I would say that the hotel is probably better suited to short stays and business trips as it felt like quite a basic Premier Inn-type hotel just with boutique wallpaper in the lobby. The photos on the website definitely make it look more luxe than it is! It was still a pleasant enough hotel but personally for us for a honeymoon it didn't feel luxurious enough- but then that was probably poor research on our part. We splashed the budget and stayed in a five-star hotel overlooking Central Park one night and that felt a lot more like a honeymoon. However in the Marcel the staff were helpful and friendly, and they did leave a complimentary bottle of white wine in our room with a note of congratulations.

We didn't eat breakfast upstairs during our stay as it seemed quite overpriced for what you could get elsewhere- however as it was our honeymoon we decided to order it to our room one morning and have breakfast in bed. This was a big mistake, not only did they completely forget to bring the food (despite me ordering the night before), it was an incredibly basic continental breakfast and not worth the money. However again I think this was a case of us expecting too much for our honeymoon from a hotel that isn't really geared up for that sort of stay.

Overall I don't think I would stay again for a proper holiday as I don't think it was the best value for money given the overall standard of the hotel, but if I were in town for a night or two I might consider it.

Oh also the Polar Lounge was closed for the duration of our trip which was really disappointing as was one of the reasons we chose to book the Marcel in the first place!

Room Tip: Make sure you check the size of the room upon check-in!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear cassbah,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property! We are so happy to hear that you chose to stay with us during your honeymoon but are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay! Our room sizes vary greatly and all of our booking sources list the sizes of the room based on our pricing and availability - the sizes are quite average for NYC! We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with others and hope you will stay with us again in the future to celebrate many more special occasions!
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was in the city for a business trip. 2 nights at the Marcel. Friendly staff, clean rooms good location. Problem is only that the rooms can be quiet small, but I guess that is New York. Great restaurants and bars close to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear GlobetrotterFFM,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We have a ton of variety in terms of our room types and sizes so please make sure the front desk is aware of your preferences so that we can do everything we can to accommodate you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We were initially drawn to this hotel, as it offered a relatively fair price, and it seemed to be a 'nice' hotel when searching for accommodations.

It was my first visit to NYC, my partners second. It met all of our expectations.

It was clean, the decor was great, and the staff friendly. We really enjoyed the location. It offered a seemingly quieter neighborhood, lots of restraunts and bars close by, and grocery/necessity stores. With a 20-30 minute walk we were in the heart of Midtown, and 5-10 to the subway.

We would recommend it to others and stay there again if given the chance.

Dear Joe4457,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate all of your kind words! We'd love to see you again soon!
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Your hotel made our trip memorable
They answered my questions before I even asked
I would also like to thank them for the recommendation of a fantastic restaurant nearby
Maialino

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Krista V,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We think our staff is pretty awesome as well and appreciate you letting others know!

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!