“Convenient and good hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcel at Gramercy

Save Saved
You added The Marcel at Gramercy to your Saves list
The Marcel at Gramercy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 East 24th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #210 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Cupertino, California
“Convenient and good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and had a good stay. The staff got me an early check-in after a red eye flight and even changed my room for my comfort. Thank you!
Hotel is well located and easy to access. Good food nearby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear spitfire2013,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are so happy to hear that you were well taken care of and enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The hotel staff we encountered were all pleasant and accommodating. Danny saved us garage parking fees by pointing out a street spot that just opened up! It was good for two days until the next street cleaning day. Perfect for our visit! The rooms are small, as has been noted elsewhere. Our interior room faced the shaft and the noisy air conditioning compressors. Not ideal. Plus side - the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, we enjoyed the free tea/coffee, NY Times, WiFi, and view at the 10th floor concierge lounge. We also like the residential Murray Hill neighborhood vibe. Given the bargain NYC price point (averaging about $240 with taxes and room fees), we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face the interior shaft, especially the lower floors because the AC noise was reall...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear China3,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property! We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Air conditioning really too loud and too cold even if you change temperature
Small room not much space to put your suitcases
Bathroom dirty and really old
Location not good if you want to be close to the centre of NY

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Jodie121212,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property. I'm disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and am sorry to hear that you had issues with your A/C unit. The hotel is in the Gramercy Park area and we are just a very short subway ride to the Times Square area if that is what you are considering the center of NY. Our cleanliness is one of the most commented items on Trip Advisor so I am sorry to hear that you did not agree. We hope you will try us again in the future!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

So I stayed there three nights, because it was a new hotel on our corporate list and a very good rate. Myself and two other colleagues stayed there. Despite having booked on the same day on the same rate, we ended up with very different rates, very different size and standard of rooms. Go figure?
They have a very good professional photographer, that's all I can say.
The hotel smells, moldy, damp. Not nice. My room was tiny (and I've stayed in tiny rooms in NYC). It was dirty, fixtures and fittings in need of replacement in the bathroom. While on the subject of the bathroom please request new toiletries when you run out, it doesn't happen automatically.
I arrived about 7pm, asked if I could get dinner, yes of course, we have room service. The menu is 'limited' but I rang down to order.. no one in 'room service' picked up, because 'room service' is actually the front desk! I placed my order. 5 minutes later a call back. Sorry the kitchen is shut. It's 7pm! Ok.
There are many things this hotel lacks - no gym, ok I can live without that, no room service to speak of, no bar, no restaurant, but there is continental breakfast on the 10th floor, don't bother! Oh you can get a glass of wine, no other alcohol, on a weds-sat on the roof terrace between 5-7pm??
Security is sparse. The staff under-trained. A bit surly at times. I wont be staying here again, nor by colleagues, and we're asking to have it taken off our corporate list. Sorry Marcel - you sounded great, you looked great from the professional photos, you're in a fab location but you really lack a lot to call yourself a boutique hotel in grammercy - you are definitely more BLUUUGGHHtique.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Karen P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and wish you made us aware of your discomfort while you were with us. Our corporate partners can choose which type of room they wish to stay in (which affects the rate) so members of a group may have different room sizes depending on which room type they individually booked.
Our front desk does order the room service and I apologize that it had closed early. I hope they offered suggestions to the numerous locations in the area that offer free delivery and can be charged to a credit card. While we do not have a gym onsite, we have a discount with the NY Sports Club that is directly across the street and our guests can use all of their facilities for a very nominal daily fee.
While there is no bar on site, there are numerous pubs in the surrounding area, over five in just a one-block radius and the mini bars in our guest rooms are fully stocked with beer, wine, and liquor. The wine service we offer three nights a week is completely complimentary and is a reception, it is not supposed to be seen as a bar. As there is only one entrance to our hotel and it is manned 24/7, we think the hotel is fantastically secure and we apologize if you did not feel that way. Our staff does everything they can to accommodate all of our guests and we are sorry to hear that we did not meet your satisfaction.
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I wanted to like this place. I really did, but based on the experience I had in a number of other hotels in NYC during my two week stay I have to report that this hotel is WAY below the standard that you can easily get for the money. Here is my painful experience with the Marcel at Gramercy in NYC. I knew going in that this was not going to be a 5 star experience, but wow. I surely didn’t expect what I was about to go through.

I arrived and immediately noticed a strong odor of mold in the lobby. The first person whom I dealt with at the front desk was pleasant and gave me keys to a room. I went up to the room and entered a dark, musty and tiny space. I turned on the light and noticed a teeny tiny window with the blind closed. Finding this curious I unsuccessfully looked for a way to lift it and let some light in. Finding no pull cord I lifted it and found the reason. The teeny tiny window looked out into a dirty dark ventilation shaft and directly into the bathroom of an apartment across the shaft. (Note the picture)

I immediately went to the front desk and asked for another room with some light. Again the front desk person was pleasant and told me that there were very few options but gave me another room. Surprisingly this room was even smaller, and I mean SMALL. Note the picture of the “closet”. To get from one side of the bed to the other you had to shimmie sideways between the tiny table and the end of the bed. There was no room for a desk and the AC blew foul moldy smelling air. The room was dirty and well worn. I mean look at the remote for goodness sake. Why they would not replace it is beyond me. It was disgusting. I couldn’t stay so at the conclusion of a lengthy three way conversation between Hotels.com and a different not so pleasant front desk person where I was shown a slightly larger room that smelled of smoke I was forced to pay for a “night” (read 1 hour while I found an alternate hotel) and cancel the rest of the reservation. Yes it was bad enough that I took a $250 hit to get the hell out of there.

Do yourself a favor and find another hotel. I was able to find a MUCH nicer hotel within an hour and only 10 blocks away for just a few dollars more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear scotttom,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property. I'm disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations but sincerely appreciate your feedback. While our guest rooms vary greatly in terms of sizing, we definitely dropped the ball in regards to your experience. I encourage you to please contact me directly at MarcelRes@AmsterdamHospitality.com so that we can go into more detail on your stay. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel room was nice and clean. The bed could have been bigger, but it was still comfortable. Make sure your room is at least on the 5th floor as the street outside is very busy and loud. The rather old a/c was also making a lot of noise, without our ear plugs we would not have been able to sleep.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Aennikae,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and agree that NYC traffic is definitely something that one has to get used to! We are working on improving the noise level in our guest rooms. We hope to see you again soon!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I've just come back from spending a week at this hotel and I have to say te overall experience was not great.

I ended up staying in two rooms while I was there and have stayed in many other hotels in the area to benchmark against.

My first struggle was trying to get on the WiFi which I had paid extra for. This was seemingly impossible from my room so I had to go up to the lounge to access it. During my whole week stay I didn't once gain access to the WiFi from either room I was in although I was faithfully assured it was working over and over again.

The rooms were functional but tiny. No full length mirrors which is always a bug bare. Bathrooms were badly designed with toilets behind the door, making everything awkward. One of my bathrooms had a cracked sink. However the main problem with these rooms was the level of noise. I have stayed in New York many times before and never needed to complain about the noise as I am a relatively heavy sleeper. However the first room I was in was right by what seemed to be a large extractor fan on the outside of the building which was incredibly noisy even with the window shut and kept whirring all night, that coupled with the noisiest air conditioning unit I've experienced in a room meant I had very little sleep the first few nights. I eventually went and asked to be moved, which they did without any complaints, however the room I was moved to had exactly the same problems...I ended up sleeping with ear plugs and no air conditioning on - it was boiling!

Breakfast is a complete waste of $12 so I definitely wouldn't recommend that.

The staff were helpful but the whole atmosphere of the hotel was odd. Shiny PVC looking furniture in reception and dancy pop music playing, coupled with some slightly creepy lift music. Receptionists were not wearing uniform (which I don't have a problem with) but with the look the hotel was going for (smartly dressed doormen etc.) it felt like maybe they should.

I had a cab booked by the receptionist back to the airport on my final day and this was another terrible experience. The cab driver and the doorman proceeded to have an argument about how much the cab should be whilst I was sat in the back waiting to leave. They agreed on $72 and I had been assured before I left that I could pay by card. However once we left he said I couldn't as he would have to pay a lot in rates so I had to get the cash out. He then told me the cab would be $85!? I tried to argue but his English was only a few words so I left it. I'm sure this was the cab companies fault rather than the hotel but it reflected badly on them for using them. I would have been better off flagging one down on the street.

One good thing I should say about the hotel is that it was very clean. It was just a shame the decor and slightly worn furniture made it seem less so. I was given an extra hour free of charge before I needed to check out on my final day which was lovely and really appreciated. Oh and the roof terrace is great, definitely my favourite part!

Overall I would not stay here again but I would say that if you need a couple of nights to rest your head then it's clean and the beds are comfortable just don't expect anything that refined!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear fkhterry,

I'm very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience during your trip! We appreciate your feedback and will absolutely be using some of your suggestions as we continue to improve. We have already rewired the access points for the wifi to improve the speed and are working on different ways to keep the outside noise level down. Hopefully you will chose to give us a second chance so that you can see all of our improvements and we can change your opinion! Safe travels!

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!