“Very Poor Experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcel at Gramercy

Save Saved
You added The Marcel at Gramercy to your Saves list
The Marcel at Gramercy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 East 24th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #196 of 449 hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Poor Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stay in hundreds of hotels a year on business and never once felt compelled to write a review, until now. I was shocked to see all the positive reviews of this hotel after a three night experience that was underwhelming and frustrating to say the least.

The first room was tiny - apparently I was booked in an "express" room that doesn't have a closet, ironing board, desk or any basic ammenity one would expect from a typical room. I was under the assumption I was getting a standard room - it never crossed my mind that this would be an option. After complaining to the front desk staff, I was moved. The second room was larger but the overall quality was poor. This hotel is trying to be a W but on the budget of a Motel 6 - sandpaper sheets, thin walls, partially cleaned rooms, sloppy bathroom caulking.

One individual at the front desk was helpful but the rest were truly annoyed if you had a request or question. I wanted to move hotels it was that bad but didn't because the conference I was attending was only one block away.

Beyond disappointed with the entire experience - not worth the $ or frustration.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

1,419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I thought I was in the Midwest and not New York City, people were so nice.
From check in to restaurant recommendations, the front desk and other hotel staff couldn't have been more professional.

Other than the hotel rooms being small, it's a really great space. We found getting in and out with traffic and cabs to be easy. They have shuttle service to the airport which is great.

The rooms were stylish and clean. They have a unique feature that allows you to plug your room key in to adjust room temperature and fan while you're there.

They have a great lounge/work area on the 10th floor with plenty of light and a large sun deck.

I was traveling while a storm was moving from West to East into the city and wasn't sure if our flights would be cancelled. I booked the room for an additional night and they worked with me on the price when my flight eventually did leave and I didn't use the room.

There's no exercise facility but they have an agreement with the New York Sports Club just a couple of blocks away.

Great communication especially from their Front Office Manager, Jacquelin Pabony

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Middletown, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I decided to stay at this hotel as a mini staycation to myself in February. At first I almost missed the door to the hotel but once I found it, I was very happy with the sleekness of the lobby. There was only once front desk agent when I arrived so check in was a little slow since there was a line, but he was very friendly. I stayed on the 7th floor, which at first seemed like a maze to find my room but it worked out just fine and there was a floor plan close to the elevators that helped.

I loved my room! The decor was awesome and the bed was very comfortable. I liked that I had to insert my room key to get power, which was super efficient. While the room appears to be small, it turns out there was plenty of space. I really enjoyed the amenities in the bathroom - the shampoo and conditioner - thought they were great quality. I also really liked the style of the bathroom as well - the shape of the sink made up for any missing space.

I would stay here again hands down. It was a pleasant experience and the hotel was lovely. The only thing that was confusing to me was the parking situation. When I spoke to the reservations agent that booked my room, she said there would be parking at the hotel. I wound up parking in a garage a block away and there was no offered information about parking from anyone who worked there. In the end though, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Marcel on a Saturday night. The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. The decor is chic and modern. It is a boutique hotel in NYC so it is on the smaller size but the layout maximized the space. We had a standard double room which is their smallest room, the total cost was $180. We first had room 801, being in the 8th floor, it was was very quiet but we had an interior view which faced a wall so we asked to change rooms, ending up in room 510. The front desk was very fast and nice about having keys to other rooms brought up right away so we could look and pick. The first room's layout meant it had a larger bathroom but less room around the bed and tv. The second room was more spacious but expect that it is a smaller room, if you're going to stay for a few nights, upgrading might be better. We asked for a room facing the street and had a nice view up the avenue and didn't have any problems with traffic noise. We loved the sleek, funky decoration. There was a great italian restaurant up the street called La Follia that was amazing. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Appealing to the young and trendy , Hotel « Le Marcel » is stylishly designed in a systematic combination of dark grey, black and white . The rooms are generally comfortable .Some of them , labeled « Standard » , should be avoided , because of their tiny dimensions . The service is friendly and efficient . Besides the exiguity of certain rooms I only have two small critiques to express (1) Breakfast ( not included ) is both frugal and relatively expensive (2) While calling itself « At Gramercy » Le Marcel is in fact on Third avenue and 24th street , an area that is convenienty situated but involves no direct proximity to Gramercy Park .

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms with an inside view, and those labeled "standard" ( standard means very...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I definately recommend the hotel for the quality and price compared to a handful of well known nyc hotels that I have stayed in.
Location is great - convenient to the subway!
The beds are fantastic and the rooms impeccably clean and decor tasteful.
I had a two double bed room and it was more than large and super quiet!!!! #1002

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel. Location is great - convenient to the subway - Baruch College is literally right accross the street so if you are attending that location for any reason, you couldn't get anything more convenient. The room was superb. I had a two double bed room and it was more than large enough for our purposes. Staff was incredibly helpful and the guest lounge on the 10th floor was certainly a nice place to work/relax.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!