“nice hotel, good service, great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcel at Gramercy

You added The Marcel at Gramercy to your Saves list
The Marcel at Gramercy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 East 24th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #205 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Singapore, Singapore
“nice hotel, good service, great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband & I went to NYC for 4 days & we booked a room @ The Marcel at Gramercy. The location was great! We basically walked to Times Square & etc. The staff were very friendly & good. Although the room was nicely decorated, the size of the room was a bit too small for my liking. If you prefer bigger rooms or have high expectations, this hotel is not for you. If you're just looking for simple hotel with good location & pleasant staff, you can consider this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Nalini Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband took me to NYC for my birthday this weekend. It was my first time there. We stayed at The Marcel and it was wonderful! The staff was great. We were able to check-in early, and we were upgraded to a king deluxe without even asking. The lobby and our room were both well decorated and very clean. The lounge and rooftop deck on the 10th floor are an added bonus. Great views of the city! Also, the location is awesome! We were able to walk to Greenwich Village, Soho, the Empire State Building, etc. We will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was the fourth occasion that I have stayed at this hotel and I'm already looking at going back. The location is perfect, handy for midtown and downtown and just a few minutes walk from Union Square. Although I've stayed there before, the politeness and helpfulness of the staff still blows me away. Lynsey, (I hope I've spelt her name right, apologies if not), Danielle and Thomas especially were always helpful with any query, were quick to offer recommendations for things to do and places to go, they basically couldn't have been better. They are a credit to the hotel and really enhanced our stay.

The 10th floor roofdeck is great, it's an ideal spot to relax and enjoy the views, especially of the Empire State building. The hotel offer free PC use which is extremely helpful when trying to keep in touch with what's going on back at home.

The room itself had everything we needed, the bed was comfortable, storage space was fine and there was no noise at all from outside which ensured we slept well every night.

I'm already looking to go back to New York and you can all probably guess at where I'll be staying. Having stayed at many other hotels in Manhattan, I can honestly say that my experiences at the Marcel have been first class and better than any other hotel at which I've stayed in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear SamMAberdeen,

Thank you so much for being such a loyal guest and strong supporter of our hotel! We appreciate your kind words towards our team here at The Marcel at Gramercy and we are very proud of them!

We love hearing about our guests' experiences with our associates and always ensure they are aware of the impact they make on our guests stay.

I am very glad that you appreciate our convenient location as well as our guest lounge and roof patio, it truly is a hidden gem!

Thank you again for posting your experience on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This boutique hotel is great if you want a property that is unique and fashionable. I booked the reservation for a girls night out and it fit the bill perfectly. The location is within reach of trendy Gramercy Park and Union Square but not at the center of the action so you can expect to sleep at night. The bed was very comfortable with fine linens and some of the best hotel pillows I've experienced. The room is small, so travelers with a lot of luggage: be warned. The 10th floor has a lounge (where breakfast is served, though you can do better at a neighborhood restaurant) and an outdoor patio with a perfect view of the Empire State Building. The hotel staff is exceptionally welcoming and professional. I thought the rate was very reasonable considering the location. Overall, a good experience; I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you very much for posting your experience on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am very glad that you enjoyed our central location in Gramercy. I am also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be accommodating and welcoming as we are very proud of our team at The Marcel. Please note that we are in process of upgrading our continental breakfast on the 10th floor lounge so we are able to meet more of our guests' needs.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future! Thank you once again for your time!

T
Pinellas Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I loved the hotel for its location, professionalism, service and cleanliness. I have to agree with previous reviews that it was VERY small. I was only a party of one so it was ok. There were NO drawers just a small closet. The part that was very inconvenient was NO counter space at all. All my toiletries had to sit on the floor. The shower was one of the rain showers that was very pleasant.
I agree the lighting was not great. the TV sat on a glass table/desk with the chair in front which blocked the TV. I was on the 2nd floor so it was a bit noisey during the weekend.
Thomas, the front desk person was so accomodating and offered to change my room but for the ordeal of changing for the same size, I stayed put.
The continental breakfast is not free but $12.95 for a cold breakfast and pastries. Not worth it. So many diners close by to enjoy. The roof top lounge area was fabulous. You can toast the city from this wonderful vantage point.
The service at this hotel is just fantastic. Always friendly and accomodating. I would stay there again but hopefully, they will revamp some of the issues.

Room Tip: Go higher for less noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient location, as well as our amazing staff. I am thrilled to hear that Thomas was accommodating to your needs and will be sure he is made aware!

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on the room that you stayed in and will be sure we follow up on the challenges you mentioned.

I am glad that your overall stay was a pleasurable one and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

the location of the marcel was the prime reason for our choice; once i saw the photo of the lounge with its large windows, i booked a standard room. "cute" ' may mean attractive, which the hotel was, but can also mean small. it was. the room just accommodated the bed, two small closets and a storage low boy. the tv was wall mounted, blocking the wall mirror. lighting was a major problem: barely adequate for reading in bed, and controllable from only one side of the bed. the bathroom was impeccably clean and efficient, but the lighting was too low to make good use of the generous wall mirrors. there was no full length mirror or magnifying mirror for shaving or make up. the shower was good, but there was not a telephone shower system, which we consider essential to our comfort and cleanliness. we have no comparison with other hotels in this neighborhood, but stylish decor does not replace comfort . best feature of the Marcel is its roof terrace, a special pleasure at night. staff were very helpful, friendly, well informed and efficient.

Room Tip: try a room in back, not on 24th street, and as high as possible. noise from third avenue and buses...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay. I am delighted to hear that your experience with our staff was a pleasant one.

Your feedback on the lighting in the room is very important, I will be sure that your concerns are brought to the attention of our engineering team and I thank you for informing us!

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future!

San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Recently stayed at the hotel for 5 days. I enjoyed the stay and for the price it was a value , hes sometime $300 a night is cheap in NYC. I booked thru hotels.com and had a petite room , yes it was small so so small , but doe my purposes and the price it was fine. Upon checking in I inquired about an upgrade which was avaiable the next day so all in I was paying $325 + tax (and yes plan on an additional 20% for the taxes) The second room on floor 9 was bigger and was very nice. I was given a WIFI Access code and the room was in working order and clean.

The hotel has a nice lounge on floor 10 with a open sun deck , wifi for me was free and worked fine .... AC was fine as well ....

The hotel has no restaurant but next door is INOTECA a great wine bar .....

The location was great 20 blocks from Times SQ , 5 blocks from Union Sq and 2 blocks from Madison Sq Park. and 30 min stroll to Chinatown and Little Italy ......

Room Tip: Inquire about an upgrade at a discount when checking in
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!