“Definitely recommend!!!!!!! :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marcel at Gramercy

Save Saved
You added The Marcel at Gramercy to your Saves list
The Marcel at Gramercy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 East 24th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #196 of 449 hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Definitely recommend!!!!!!! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

My partner & I stayed at the Marcel in May last year (2011) and I'm so glad that we chose this hotel!!! I have been meaning to write a review earlier because the guys at this hotel deserve rave reviews!!!! But I haven't to date, so here it is!
After days of research online I decided to choose The Marcel.... Such a perfect place to stay in the the most amazing city in the world!!!
The hotel is very central and extremely easy to walk or catch the subway to places. There are also plenty of awesome restaurants,bars & supermarkets at the doorstep! The staff here are very friendly and happy to help whenever possible.... because we were going to be staying here for 3 weeks, I asked via email (a couple of weeks prior to arriving in NY) if we could be upgraded to a slightly bigger room, and they went out of their way to arrange it!! Amazing!! So impressed!! The room was spotlessly clean, safe and a great size.... just perfect for a NY holiday! There is a great outdoor rooftop area with a superb view of the Empire State Building, we sat out there every morning with our coffee (free tea, coffee, internet & daily "New York Times" newspaper in the rooftop area). The Italian Restaurant downstairs ("Inoteca") has an amazing menu & winelist.... a little pricey but great for a special dinner! Also the the "Polar Lounge" bar downstairs is fantastic!!!! The bar staff were so chatty & friendly... I definitly recommend getting there early.... sit at the bar and order one of their delicious cocktails!
I'm really glad that I'm finally writing this reveiw.... this hotel definitely deserves it! My partner and I are thinking of ways we can get back to NY for another holiday.... this city has become our passion... and accommodation wise, we would most definitely stay at the Marcel again & again! Sharon & Karen (Sydney, Australia)

Room Tip: Corner rooms on a higher floor have alot of light and are larger.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

1,417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

If you've never stayed in Manhattan before, you'll say the rooms are small and noisy & some hotel amenities are missing.

If you HAVE stayed in NYC before, you'll say this place is a steal for the price. The whole place is spotlessly clean, beds & rooms are comfy & well designed (meaning there's a place to put your luggage, shelves in the bathroom so you don't have to put your toiletries on the floor, etc.), the staff are fantastic - knew what I needed before I had a chance to ask, and the lounge/breakfast area is a rare blessing (being able to print stuff free of charge & get a decent breakfast without having to go out into the cold - YAY!)

I'll be back!

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

The Marcel is a neat design hotel in an interesting neighborhood if you want to escape the midtown madness. Subway around the corner. Great service. Good value for money.

Then again, if I give the Morgans Hotel five points, I can't give the Marcel five. Deep inside its soul, the Marcel is not a cool design hotel but a normal hotel equipped with design furniture. "Do not disturb" signs saying "Seriously, don't *ç%& with me right now" may be something close to funny at the ACE hotel, but seem totally displaced here.

It is a good idea however to put them outside your door, especially if you want to sleep in, as otherwise the maid stands in your room at 9.30 on a Sunday morning. The problem is that you're awake by then anyways because she knocked at all the other doors in the hall and stumbled in all the other rooms and said "oh sorry" to all the other people in the other rooms before, and your door isn't anything like sound proof.

Extremely positive: Free PC with internet in the 10th floor lounge (which is not very inspiring otherwise). Great service, especially by the door man (think his name was Raoul). They are reliably ordering a cab for you to JFK for 59 bucks including all tolls and tip.

All in all, I can recommend the Marcel if there's no space at the Morgans or the Dylan or if they are too expensive. The Marcel is absolutely fine and provides good value for money, but it is not superb.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear gsh_1975,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at The Marcel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and most importantly the genuine hospitality that we offer.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at The Marcel at Gramercy overnight while we were in New York for a series of business meetings. The staff were friendly, helpful, and accommodating, which was fantastic. The amenities; however, feel short of expectation.

I was told upfront when I checked in that my room would be small. It was! Boy was it ever. I think I would describe it as being mini. So small that I had to precariously balance my carry-on suitcase on the cabinet under the tv and put my handbag in the bathroom on the toilet, as there was no where else to put it (no suitcase stand, desk, closet, or chair - and I'm a little fussy about having my things on the floor).

The bed was on the hard side, which may be good or bad depending on personal preference. I felt the sheets to be rather coarse. They felt scratchy against my skin.

As a business traveler spoiled with complimentary wifi access at most hotels I stay at, I was also surprised to find that the Marcel didn't have wifi that came with the room. That said, for a cost of $10USD per 24 hours, I was able to get connected. I found it interesting that to get wifi, there was a rather long online form to fill out that required me to enter all of my credit card information, rather than being able to charge it to the room. The form also asked for a shipping address, which was rather bizarre. What are you shipping me? (At 1 in the morning working on a presentation for the next day, it felt very long and laborious to fill out - but probably wouldn't have been half as noticeable if it were 1pm after a nice lunch while I was on vacay.) I was even more surprised to find that I could not then access the same wifi on my personal mobile devices. Thankfully, upon inquiring about the "you have exceeded your limit" message I received, I was relieved to be told that I would not have to pay again for each device; however, I would have to log out of each device before I could login to use the wifi on another one. The gentleman who assisted me sounded a little surprised that I wouldn't just do that naturally - which was fine for a one night stay; however, I would suggest that it's more and more regular for customers to own different communication devices and to use them for different reasons at the same time. Had I needed to stay for a longer stint for business, I likely would have preferred to stay at an alternative hotel with a more flexible connectivity solution.

Otherwise, the hotel was clean. Bathroom was nice and the product seemed also nice. As an aside, it was odd to see the "together we can make a difference" environmental card on my bed and then see several small plastic bottles of $5 water next to the bed. If you're trying to encourage environmental actions, maybe encourage your guests to drink the fantastic potable New York filtered water straight from the tap?

Anyway, if you stay here and some of the extra touches are important or necessary for you - I'd recommend another hotel. There are lots of fantastic boutique hotels in New York. The Distrikt Hotel being one of them (unbelievable beds there, by the way). However, for a decent, no-frills kind of standard room - it's good. It's also probably worth noting that for a cost, you can upgrade to a larger room with more beds - but also more space.

Dear artichokefish,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at The Marcel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It does seem that you reserved one of our more economical rooms that are are the smaller side. We offer an array of room types for many tastes and budgets.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hospitality that our staff has to offer. I am disappointed that you had some problems with our WiFi, I am sure that the reason for a lengthy form is to avoid credit card fraud but we will look into matter with our Wifi provider and thank you for bringing to our attention.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I can tell you that the Marcel at Gramercy is one of those top-notch kind of customer service venues and I haven't even stayed there -- that's how good they are.

My girlfriend was staying in NYC on business over Valentine's Day. I called the front desk to have something set up in her room. Zack and Mark were incredibly helpful in facilitating it, and even ran across the street to pick up flowers that the hotel doesn't sell. With no extra service charge!

They set everything up in the room in a really cool way -- and sent me pictures of the set-up.

Just one of those all-too-rare customer experiences where folks are bending over backwards to help you out!

Dear Ramone_Zabala,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience with our team! I will be sure they are commended for going the extra mile to make your girlfriends valentines a special one!

We hope that we are able to welcome you to our hotel soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We have been staying at the Marcel for years, for long stretches of time, and appreciate being taken care of by the staff.
Danny always greets us with a smile and was particularly awesome and helpful this trip. Not only did he always have ice sent to our room so one of us could ice our broken foot, but he also managed to retrieve a lost cell phone that was left in a car.
Zach and Michael, at the front desk, are always so accommodating and make sure that we are well looked after.
Raoul went above and beyond when he single-handedly carted our numerous suitcases from our room, to the way too small car, and managed to fit every piece in.

Looking forward to our next stay,
Karen Alweil Studio

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Great location for getting anywhere south of Central Park.
There was someone there to greet us at the door upon arrival with a smile (a lost art in hospitality sometimes now..)
Check-in was smooth, correct, friendly, and prompt.

Initial room was small but tastefully decorated and clean, more than enough for us for one night. We would have been happy here. However, upon close inspection, there was a 'quality issue' with the room that we wanted to make the front desk aware of. They immediately upgraded us to a junior suite (which was not necessary as my girlfriend was already trying to nap in the bed but was very much appreciated).

There is a lively bar downstairs but unfortunately we were too tired from the nights festivities to check it out. Next time..

They assisted with us getting a taxi before going out for the night, which was appreciated, as getting a taxi that night seemed to be challenging for some reason.

All in all, a great hotel in a good location with EXCELLENT service. Specfic mention to the front desk and front door personnel who were especially helpful, friendly, and outgoing. I work in the travel industry and know what hospitality should be like and this hotel hits a home run.

Room Tip: Each room is a different size, in typical NYC building fashion. When booking a room, ask for one of...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear gsfg5007,

Thank you very much for posting your experience at The Marcel at Gramercy on TripAdvisor! I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and our team was able to find a solution to your challenge that was beyond your expectation. We pride ourselves in the hospitality that we offer our guests, thank you for the wonderful compliment!

We hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Marcel very soon!

Nalini Sullivan

Been to The Marcel at Gramercy? Share your experiences!